Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR, Hydro Blue Pearl
Hello everyone and thanks in advance.

I just joined the Jeep family. Ive never owned one before. My bestfriend in HS (86) had a tudor Levis jeep, full-time 4wd gas guzzling machine. Anyways I luv the new jeep 2021 wrangler unlimited rubicon, hydro blue. I am looking at my first two mods. Stubby bumper with overhead bar and nylon wench. Im wondering if anyone has had any favorites as combo package. I would like to install myself if possible. I have some general knowledge and possible family to help. Ive read up on some wenches as some are harder to mount etc.

Appreciate your thoughts/comments

I enclosed something close to what I would like.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. stubby.PNG
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My wife was wondering when i was gonna buy a wench. She is ESL. I told her that I already had one. She was confused.

WARN make good winches and winch plates I’m told. As does harbor freight Badlands, and Quadratec. Easy install into OEM steel bumpers. Consider a cutoff switch if you want to make sure that nobody messes with your wench.

Last edited:

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Seriously, though, there are so many combos, and opinions, and past threads discussing this, its hard not to joke. Mine is the jeep steel bumper with a warn vr 10 s winch. Probably one of the most expensive combos, but will do the job if needed. If you just want a bumper ornament or are on a budget, there are other combos that are cheaper that will work just as well.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I just joined the Jeep family. Ive never owned one before. My bestfriend in HS (86) had a tudor Levis jeep, full-time 4wd gas guzzling machine. Anyways I luv the new jeep 2021 wrangler unlimited rubicon, hydro blue. I am looking at my first two mods. Stubby bumper with overhead bar and nylon wench. Im wondering if anyone has had any favorites as combo package. I would like to install myself if possible. I have some general knowledge and possible family to help. Ive read up on some wenches as some are harder to mount etc.

stubby.PNG
Look here, might find something you like…..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/stubby-bumper-lets-see-them.26520/

I went with LOD and quadratec stealth zero issues……..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Muskylounge6801

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR, Hydro Blue Pearl
Thanks for the input. Since Im new to Jeep I am a deer in the headlights. Im not really on a budget per say. I really want a nylon lead as I understand the metal ones will fray and frayed metal hurts more than nylon. Front bumper styles I really like the off road stubby look showing the tires off. The rear has all the sensors built in and will prob keep them for safety.

I will sort through the forums as much as I can before choosing. I just want something I dont have to pay someone to install for me.

Again thanks for all comments joking and not joking :)

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Congrats on the new Jeep! Welcome to the family! You'll love it. And putting on your own mods will really help you get to know your Jeep, too.

Here's what I went with...

Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. IMG_3639
Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. IMG_3644b

LOD Destroyer Shorty, with the additional skid plate and a Warn M8000 winch. It's steel cable, not synth. But I had this winch for nine years on my JK and it's still holding up great. And since the high end Warn winches were all on backorder when I got the JL, I just moved this over from the JK. When supply chain issues eventually abate, I'll probably upgrade to a Warn Xeon with a synth rope.

Install was easy. I (a skinny wench myself 😆) did it about 99% myself, save for enlisting a friend to hold the new bumper steady while I was bolting it on (to reduce the risk of it falling on me while I was under it). Most annoying part of the install is just digging the foglamp wiring harness out of the old takeoff bumper. Basic tools will get the whole job done.

LOD is very well built and I had no fitment issues. As opposed to my JK's Warn stubby, which was nice, but I had a helluva time getting it to line up. The LOD install went much smoother. Definitely recommend.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for the input. Since Im new to Jeep I am a deer in the headlights. Im not really on a budget per say. I really want a nylon lead as I understand the metal ones will fray and frayed metal hurts more than nylon. Front bumper styles I really like the off road stubby look showing the tires off. The rear has all the sensors built in and will prob keep them for safety.

I will sort through the forums as much as I can before choosing. I just want something I dont have to pay someone to install for me.

Again thanks for all comments joking and not joking :)
Do you own a JL now? Do you have the steel bumper? If so, you can make it a stubby by removing a few bolts. Looks good too.

if you like the OEM steel bumper, you may be able to find a take-off one on this board or elsewhere cheap as chips……. You may need a few bits if you are replacing the plastic bumper. I don’t recall what folks have said as they made the switch.

winches, generally, just drop into the factory steel bumper (with a winch plate).

Last edited:

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. IMG_3644b
Nylon Wench? That sounds like Pam Anderson in "Barb" lol, sorry

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Since Im new to Jeep I am a deer in the headlights.
One warning so you don't learn the hard way. Just because a Jeep mod is available to buy doesn't mean it's legal where you drive it. Always check your local vehicle regulations. Some places are more restrictive than others. For example, where I am stubby bumpers aren't legal for on-road use. But they may be fine where you are.

The rear has all the sensors built in and will prob keep them for safety.
There are many aftermarket rear bumpers which accommodate the proximity sensors. Just confirm that it does have sensor mounting positions. Don't think the sensors lock you into OEM. Bumpers are typically an easy DIY project. Taking the OEM bumpers off is usually two thirds of the job.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
front-bumper-and-winch-jpg.jpg