BR SSQTCH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSp - Sting Grey
Build Thread
Link
Hey Guys,

I am looking into getting Stubby Bumper for my JL.

Did some minor research and I have a question about being road legal with them stubbies! Apparently, the tires being totally exposed in the front, is not road legal in Canada. As a darn immigrant living here for only 5 years, I am not sure about this lol!

Anyone running on Stubbies had any issue driving in the city with law enforcers? Anybody to confirm if there is any sort of prohibitions for stubby bumpers on city/highway driving?

Thanks!
Sponsored

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Technically you are correct. If a cop really wanted to give you a ticket for this/you were driving like a d-bag, they could fine you. People obviously still run them though.

Just like how it is technically illegal to leave your hitch & ball in your receiver if you are not towing anything. People leave it in anyways. I was at a Farm Show a few years back and the local police came to the parking lot and wrote every truck in the parking lot a ticket! Easy way to hit your quota.

Takeaways from the Canadian Highway Safety Act:
16.2 The bumper width must cover the full track width of the vehicle.

16.8 Bumper Height Requirement some part of the horizontal bumper must fall within 350mm.(13.7in.) and 560mm.(22in.) above the ground level surface. (See also red text below for trucks &c)

16.9 Every modified vehicle that is a truck or multi-purpose passenger vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of 4500kg or less, the following shall apply:
a) There shall be a front bumper of at least 100mm.(4 in.) in vertical height and extending to the width of the vehicle manufacturer's track width

OP
OP
brsasquatch

brsasquatch

First Name
BR SSQTCH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSp - Sting Grey
Build Thread
Link
Technically you are correct. If a cop really wanted to give you a ticket for this/you were driving like a d-bag, they could fine you. People obviously still run them though.

Just like how it is technically illegal to leave your hitch & ball in your receiver if you are not towing anything. People leave it in anyways. I was at a Farm Show a few years back and the local police came to the parking lot and wrote every truck in the parking lot a ticket! Easy way to hit your quota.

Takeaways from the Canadian Highway Safety Act:
16.2 The bumper width must cover the full track width of the vehicle.

16.8 Bumper Height Requirement some part of the horizontal bumper must fall within 350mm.(13.7in.) and 560mm.(22in.) above the ground level surface. (See also red text below for trucks &c)

16.9 Every modified vehicle that is a truck or multi-purpose passenger vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of 4500kg or less, the following shall apply:
a) There shall be a front bumper of at least 100mm.(4 in.) in vertical height and extending to the width of the vehicle manufacturer's track width
Thanks!
That pretty much answer my question and will move forward with a full track width bumper!

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Thanks!
That pretty much answer my question and will move forward with a full track width bumper!
This is probably why the Rubicon bumpers have end caps - so when you want to go off road, you just undo a few bolts and pop them off for better clearance/the stubby aesthetic.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
Damn, you Wet Coast types can't do shit to your Jeeps without getting fined. I've been running tube doors and a stubby bumper here in Ontari-ari-o without any police reaction whatsoever, even though it's technically illegal. They're more concerned about street racing than anything else, really.

Sponsored

KrazyKanuck

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Unless something really sticks out on your jeep, they will not likely pull you over for the stubby bumper.
I asked several of my buddies who are cops about this and they all had no idea about the bumper regulations.

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

Dethwalkin

First Name
Darryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have no front plate, stubby front bumper, few inches of poke, tinted front windshield, and never looked at once from the po-po.
Ontario/TO cops only look at you if you are 30km over limit or on your phone.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby Bumpers in Canada - BC topless and doorless.jpg 5 (2)

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
I have stubby bumpers back and front.
Been driving with them for 10 years without problems.
Will do the same to the new JL..

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
Most cops wont bat an eye unless you are being a dick. However if you get in an accident and end up on top of another vehicle because your exposed front tires went over someone you will have the book thrown at you and your insurance claim will be denied so all costs will be on you. that's why the rubi bumpers are built with removable endcaps. So you cant sue Jeep if you are driving around (not off road) with your end caps off.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Damn, you Wet Coast types can't do shit to your Jeeps without getting fined. I've been running tube doors and a stubby bumper here in Ontari-ari-o without any police reaction whatsoever, even though it's technically illegal. They're more concerned about street racing than anything else, really.
You've obviously not run into a handful of the Durham and OPP in the region. I can't remember the constable's name but there's a couple who target modified Jeeps. They love the mudflaps not covering the wheels law.
Sponsored