sporklift

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 370z, 1988 300zx
Hey there guys,

My name is Alex and I am new user here, but I have perused the site for a long time. I was curious if there are any JL guys here that traded in a beloved car (in my case a 2013 370z with low miles, I'm a Z guy through and through.) for their JL.

I'm supposed to go into the dealer today and put down the deposit for my 2 Door sting grey JL Sport S. But I'd be lying if I wasn't torn up about trading in my car.

I used to have other vehicles but couldn't really afford to keep them around anymore. I have three dogs and love to camp and have always wanted to get into overlanding and the such. So really need something more practical.

For what it's worth I have an 88 Z31 still that is my project. But I have grown to love my 370z (Z34).

Has anyone gone through a similar situation?? Do you regret it? Or do you love your JL? (I assume most love it!) I don't want a truck or anything super boring. When you see a Z, you know it is a Z. Just like when you see a Wrangler, you know it's a Wrangler. I also love cars with real history.

What are your guys' experiences? I'd love to know.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Are you still making payments on the Z? If not, just keep it and problem solved. Realistically, the dealership isnā€™t gonna give you a significant amount but maybe they are. In the end itā€™s up to you. Just my thoughts.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I went from driving a stick rubi JK to a Fiesta ST. The ST is a go cart and a blast to drive, however with the past rubi being a stick and small manuvarable and driving around no doors no top its so much fun!

Driving an auto JL you will miss your z. If you can find a manual trans I think you will be fine. I would recommend the Rubi though.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The vehicles couldn't be any different from each other. I would rent a Wrangler for upwards of a few weeks doing your normal daily driving and see what you think. For as many people as there are that love Wranglers, there's just as many that hate them. Probably more. It's impractical for the average person as a daily driver.

Others have done similar trades as you and loved their Jeeps.. With that said IMO it's too big of a leap and difference from what's normal to you to like it long term.

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Hey there guys,

My name is Alex and I am new user here, but I have perused the site for a long time. I was curious if there are any JL guys here that traded in a beloved car (in my case a 2013 370z with low miles, I'm a Z guy through and through.) for their JL.

I'm supposed to go into the dealer today and put down the deposit for my 2 Door sting grey JL Sport S. But I'd be lying if I wasn't torn up about trading in my car.

I used to have other vehicles but couldn't really afford to keep them around anymore. I have three dogs and love to camp and have always wanted to get into overlanding and the such. So really need something more practical.

For what it's worth I have an 88 Z31 still that is my project. But I have grown to love my 370z (Z34).

Has anyone gone through a similar situation?? Do you regret it? Or do you love your JL? (I assume most love it!) I don't want a truck or anything super boring. When you see a Z, you know it is a Z. Just like when you see a Wrangler, you know it's a Wrangler. I also love cars with real history.

What are your guys' experiences? I'd love to know.

Thanks.
We have a two car garage and I don't want to own multiple vehicles at once that I would have to move out of my driveway to get out of the garage every day (my wife has a vehicle in the garage also). When I buy a daily driver, I have to choose between something that's capable of driving offroad, or something fun that's exhilarating to drive on the street. I had an 06 350z many years ago, and loved it to death. I buy and sell vehicles frequently and its always a struggle for me which direction to go. I still get out into nature even when I don't own a 4x4, but then I can't get to some of my secluded secret spots and have to hike into places or go wheeling with a buddy in their rig.

I'd never recommend someone buy a Wrangler if they don't offroad or want to offroad, but then again my wife did just that and she loves hers. For me, its cool every couple years to try something different. It's always such a stark contrast going from a slow 4x4 to a fun and fast daily driver. And vice versa, its always a relief for me going from a sporty car to a 4x4 and not having to worry about pot holes, or is that steep driveway going scrap the crap out of my front bumper. Ask yourself why you're doing this, and can you be happy in a vehicle that is not nearly as much fun to drive on the street (for someone who enjoys sports/sporty cars). I own a motorcycle though, so I still do get my fix for fun street driving elsewhere.

Landog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Willys 2 Door
Jeep Wrangler JL Struggling with trading in my Z. IMG_0191.JPG

So, I guess you're talking to me!

This is my 2020, yes, 2020 Honda Civic Sport 1.5L Turbo with a 6 speed manual. Its a hoot to drive, gets over 35 MPG and has all the bells and whistles.

I bought it last year as my commuter car that's fun to drive. And it is. It really is.

But I realized something. It's nice enough, even as a Civic, that when the weather's crappy, I just leave it in the garage and take my truck, which literally gets about 15 mpg.

Because I live in the PNW, we get lots of crappy weather. So after owning this for a full year, I only put 5,000 miles on her.

I decided to sit down and think really hard about what I really wanted. I'll always have my truck, because I'm always hauling stuff around.

I wanted a more rugged vehicle that I wouldn't really worry about getting dinged or having fun with. Also want to eventually tow it behind an RV

So, this really nice car that I really, really like, got traded in for a 2021 2 door Sarge Green Willys.

It should be here next week.

Cheers!
Landog

OP
OP

sporklift

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 370z, 1988 300zx
I really appreciate all the quick replies.

I live in area that is off road heaven for many. Growing up in high school all my friends built prerunners, jeeps, and whatever else was popular at the time. So I have done lots of wheeling, just always as a passenger. I also do all my own mechanical work so mods/fabrication would just be so fun with Wrangler.

Without a doubt, the JL would get used just like it should be. And me and the lady are gonna be moving to state that experiences seasons in a few years.

But I just walked out my house and looked at the Z in the light and I just couldn't get in it to go to the dealer and put down the $1000 deposit for the order. I respect that Z so much there is not one single mod I have done to it (other than a delrin shift bar), and it is still so F***ing fun to drive.

I may just wait till it's paid off (1.5 years) and start looking at my options then, and hopefully have my sweet Z and a killer JL. (Time to get a night job!)

Thanks everyone for the input. Which is another reason I want a JL so bad, the Jeep community is just so down to earth and FUN it seems. Was really looking forward to going to some Jeep meetups in Cali and meeting some new people and making some cool friends (which I am lacking more and more as I get older). The Z community is not quite as tight nit.

I would welcome more opinions//experiences because they are cool to hear.

Thanks again.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Yea, I have problems letting go....

I have my rusty old TJ, a Town Car, my Frontier pick up, a Harley, a custom chopper, my wife's Rouge and then I went out and bought a JLR. Still catch myself perusing car gurus sometimes šŸ˜ž It can be a problem. šŸ¤Ŗ

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Keep your Z, it makes you happy. Imagine trading in your baby, buying a JL, then dealing with a lemon like quite a few of us had. Save yourself the hassle and the heartbreak, you already own what you love.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Been there, done that! I love sporty cars that you can toss around ...but have always had Wranglers in between them, I keep the vehicle for a few years then go back to a wrangler...mind you I lost money every time(almost every time) but I would have done it again given the chance. You only live once! I am in my car/truck everyday driving at least 45-1hour back and forth....I want to be driving something I truly love. My last Porche I traded on my JL and I do believe I won't be so itchy this time! I love my Rubi and hope to have it for a while.
the z I had before the yellow sport then I traded that for an Audi TT 3.2 then traded that for the Black mw3 on to the 2010 boxster which then I had to sell for the Mini S because my company downsized then regained my employment with same company because they realized some jobs actually should never be cut! I bought another Boxster this time the 981 and then after a few years traded her for my Rubi....No Regrets!!!

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0521.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2942 2.jpeg

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Dude, keep the Z and get an old beater Jeep. Cherokee XJā€™s can be found for cheap. Youā€™ll be able to go wheeling with your friends and build it up.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I had a red 2006 6 speed 350z with a twin turbo kit on it making 450ish to the wheels.
that car was hit by a garbage truck and totaled or Iā€™d still own it today. Thereā€™s little else I find more pleasing to the ears than a VQ engine with a nice exhaust above 4500 RPM, especially mounted to a vehicle thatā€™s near ideal weight distribution designed to do nothing more than drive

you seem to not need a lot of practicality in your vehicles so that part of my suggestion is out the window. Iā€™d suggest that you maybe skip a brand new JL and seek out a 2003-2006 Wrangler TJ with a manual. They can be had pretty cheap and those manuals IMO were more fun to drive.

that way you can have both and if you really fall in love with the Jeep and find yourself driving it more and more, come back in a year and trade both in. You wonā€™t lose a penny over what you pay for the wrangler those values are pretty flat

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Yea, I have problems letting go....

I have my rusty old TJ, a Town Car, my Frontier pick up, a Harley, a custom chopper, my wife's Rouge and then I went out and bought a JLR. Still catch myself perusing car gurus sometimes šŸ˜ž It can be a problem. šŸ¤Ŗ
You got enough there to open up a used car dealership!! All you are missing is a tie.