Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Stingray
Occupation
Retired
Hey there guys,

My name is Alex and I am new user here, but I have perused the site for a long time. I was curious if there are any JL guys here that traded in a beloved car (in my case a 2013 370z with low miles, I'm a Z guy through and through.) for their JL.

I'm supposed to go into the dealer today and put down the deposit for my 2 Door sting grey JL Sport S. But I'd be lying if I wasn't torn up about trading in my car.

I used to have other vehicles but couldn't really afford to keep them around anymore. I have three dogs and love to camp and have always wanted to get into overlanding and the such. So really need something more practical.

For what it's worth I have an 88 Z31 still that is my project. But I have grown to love my 370z (Z34).

Has anyone gone through a similar situation?? Do you regret it? Or do you love your JL? (I assume most love it!) I don't want a truck or anything super boring. When you see a Z, you know it is a Z. Just like when you see a Wrangler, you know it's a Wrangler. I also love cars with real history.

What are your guys' experiences? I'd love to know.

Thanks.
Traded my 2019 ZL1 for 2021 Rubicon Unlimited. No regrets

The Roze.jpg

Jeep.jpg
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP, Glad to hear you're keeping your Z!
Couldn't part w/ our 4dr Z (Infiniti G37), it's mamas city cruiser :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Struggling with trading in my Z. g371

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have a 2002 ws6 I bought new and never thought I would sell it. I have not driven it in two years (since I bought my JL) and will finally part with it this spring.

I just have a lot of fun driving my jeep and am over the speed bug. It was a fun car but I will not miss spending a fortune on go fast parts.

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yep, I do miss the SLK55 I traded off on the Jeep, especially WOT on long tube headers & some missing cats. Little car surprised people, little bitch kart Benz isn't supposed to bellow like that. I don't miss having the potential issues of a 100k mile AMG hanging over my head or knowing that it needed a full brake job in the near future.
Jeep Wrangler JL Struggling with trading in my Z. slk55.JPG

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
As others have said...IF you are second guessing getting rid of it now - you will regret it at some point.

Sponsored

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I had to get rid of one of my dream cars because of a divorce and got my JL. I miss my Hellcat every day...

Jeep Wrangler JL Struggling with trading in my Z. HellCat

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I bought a 2008 350Z roadster to hold me over till the C8 vette was out and tested a little. Traded the Z on my JL on a bit of an impulse purchase a year later. I miss it sometimes, but it was only supposed to be temporary is what I keep telling myself. Not a fast car, but it sure felt fast. A go kart with style.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Those two couldn't be more different.

I'd say keep both if you can. I really don't think the JL is good for a two car “system”. It's too pricey for me to not be scared of damage and not driver. You'd probably be better off with your Z and a TJ.

I plan in doing something similar. I'll be selling my JLUR and buying a Model Y and building up my Provan Tiger GT with a rubicon drivetrain.

chgrec

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
I understand the dilemma. I had a 97 BMW M roadster before my wife convinced me to get a Jeep...

I am on my 64th car which have included some really great driving cars like my 67 Datsun 2000 roadster (Fairlady), 69 XKE, an 84 Porsche 911 convertible and a 97 Boxster. I really thought I would hate the Jeep but we didn't have the space for a 3rd vehicle and we needed something that could at least do the Lowes run without putting plants in her convertible. Worse yet, she wanted an automatic since she doesn't like stick shifts...To a car guy like me, that thought was horrible. But I love her and since I got the good end of the whole marriage deal, I acquiesced.

We ended up with a used 2003 TJ Sahara automatic....And as hard as it is to admit, I really loved that thing and had it for many years. It's not like driving a sports car so it is a different kind of driving but it's still really fun. And until recently, the most off-roading I did was driving over a curb! Now with our new JLU, beach driving is as 4 wheelin' as I get and it's still a blast.

So as long as you realize you can't drive it the same way as your Z, just pop off the top, remove the doors and just go for it!

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Get both ...

CK6wcT4.jpg

Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I sold my '92 first-generation Miata in order to make room for my JLU. I don't regret it one bit. Once my kid was born, I rarely ever took the Miata out. Whenever I did, I grew annoyed with crashing on bump stops and the highway noise due to the horrible NEOhio roads. I absolutely loved spirited back road drives with it or relaxing cruising with my wife, but I seldom had or made time for them.

My JLU gives me a "fun" vehicle that is practical enough to haul my about-to-grow-larger family and give us the option to put the top down and do the laid back cruising my wife and I cherished in the Miata.

To me, there's plenty of time and money in a few years to buy another Miata or sports car (I'm currently saving for a Carrera T) and the Jeep gives me a lot of the fun the Miata did and I can drive it all the time. In fact, it is so practical and fun that I sold my prior daily driver (an '18 Mazda3) that was my practical-but-sporty commuter once COVID hit and I've been at home.

Jeeps are fun but they are a different kind of fun than sports cars. But, for me, the similarities in what I loved about the Miata and what the Wrangler offers me are similar enough that I'm very happy. YMMV.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I was in a similar boat as you, but with a 2016 WRX. I LOVED that car, and had finances worked I probably would have kept it. But, it had 125k on it, was due for a new clutch, brakes, and valve cleaning soon, and thanks to COVID I don't need the 30MPG for my 110 mile commute since I'm permanently working from home.

I sold the Subaru the day I ordered my JL, and surprisingly I don't miss it all that much. I did get a 6speed in the new Jeep, but once it gets here I don't think I'll regret it one bit! It does help my wife has a GLA250 that is pretty peppy, so if I want some sportiness I can jump in that!

All of this is to say, I've wanted a Jeep for 15 years, and it was always going to be my toy! I say keep the Z if you can swing it, but you should try test driving a Wrangler for a while if you can't

chilldive

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Like a lot of others, I've been in the same boat before. I've had a lot of toys and have changed toys as my life and/or desires change. I've learned to not get too attached to shiny objects - it's all about relationships. Growing up I had CJ-5 Jeeps and other 4x4's. Always been a 4x4 type of guy. Then in my late 30's I wanted a fast, fun car, so I bought the 350Z when it came out. I loved that car. But it's hard to enjoy a 2 seater with more than one other person, so I sold it and bought a boat. Then my son grew older and the boat was less fun. So I bought a Corvette, then I upgraded to a newer Corvette.

Now I have a family that wants to get out, 4 wheel, camp, etc. So out goes the Vette and in comes the Rubicon. Full circle. Thru it all I've also had a 4x4 full size Ram. And some day I'll buy another Vette - the true American fast car. :)

Moral of the story... don't get too hung up on changes. What will you use the most? What will give you the most enjoyment and provide time with those you hang out with or your family? You can always trade and change direction. Hang on to that Z too long and it will be old anyway.

My 2 cents. Best of luck to you!

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Don't sell your Z. I still have my 1990 300zx 2+2 that I bought brand new when I was 18! It was the first one in Washington state and one of the first 50 made. I have kept it all original except for the radio and a sub. The only non Jeep vehicle I own. You can see my TJ, Grand Cherokee (traded for my SRT), Comanche and Expedition trailer in my Denver garage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Struggling with trading in my Z. IMG_6086.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Struggling with trading in my Z. IMG_6102.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Struggling with trading in my Z. IMG_6103.JPG

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link