Sponsored

Struggling w/ Sahara vs Rubicon - input sought

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
As we wait for our JL’s (or late availability colours), I’d appreciate your input.

My JL will be my DD. I currently drive about 25 000km a year, but in the life of this vehicle, will likely see that increase a fair bit. Most of that driving takes place on rural roads, but I will occasionally be heading into the city with stop and go traffic.

I live in the land of snow drifts/freezing rain/flooding from thaws/flash freeze. And it seems like that can all happen in one day. Roads can be ridiculous.

I’m working on an LJ build for the cottage/weekend fun vehicle. I’m hoping to learn lots through that process, but I’m not knowledgeable nor handy...

I figure this will likely be the last vehicle that I can buy with a manual transmission (I keep my vehicles 10+ Years), so I’m pretty set on the manual.

I go off-road, but nothing a Sahara can’t reasonably handle. I’d like to join our local Jeep club, but I know I’m never going to take on the bigger trails.

My heart wants Rubicon. I love the look. I’ve always wanted a Rubicon (my LJ is a sport).

My head says Sahara for its better gas mileage, better on road handling, and more comfortable ride.

I’m asking for your thoughts on one vs the other, given my situation. I’m not sure I’ll get to drive a rubicon before making my purchase decision, so I’m open to all input.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If you have no interest in Selec-Trac auto 4WD, then I would go Rubicon since that's what you've always wanted. Why settle for less?

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
I hear you - the Rubi looks awesome. However, I think considering the road conditions and that it will be your DD, I would get the selectrac on the Sahara. Go with your head I say.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I would ask myself what am I driving now, can it handle the road conditions, do I NEED selec-trac, for between a $1500-$3000 difference is it worth settling and regretting it for the next 10 years.

Example the selec trac would be great for my winters here, but at the same time I’ve handled the winters for the last 8 years w a 2wd vehicle so the Rubicon would have no problems and like you I joined local clubs because I would like to hit trails and such for the first time.

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Too funnny, I was also set on a Sahara until I saw a Rubicon up close and drove it last week (Erin Dodge Jeep in TO). It has a much better (albeit aggressive) look I want, and I may actually find large rocks to climb this summer ;) even though primarily will be the daily driver. As far as snow and ice, Rock Track in 4H seems to be just as capable as Selec Trac from the online explanations I've watched. Am I missing something?
So maybe the Rubi gets a bit worse gas mileage (another thread) because of weight and larger tyres, but my heart is leaning that way now. And I also drove it down the highway at 120kph and didn't think it was overly noisy.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I would ask myself what am I driving now, can it handle the road conditions, do I NEED selec-trac, for between a $1500-$3000 difference is it worth settling and regretting it for the next 10 years.

Example the selec trac would be great for my winters here, but at the same time I’ve handled the winters for the last 8 years w a 2wd vehicle so the Rubicon would have no problems and like you I joined local clubs because I would like to hit trails and such for the first time.
OP is getting a manual transmission, which precludes the addition of Selec-Trac (this might push me to the Rubi also).

Personally, I can't imagine driving that many miles without adaptive cruise control. Hopefully FCA adds it to the JL for 2019?

OP
OP
ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP is getting a manual transmission, which precludes the addition of Selec-Trac (this might push me to the Rubi also).

Personally, I can't imagine driving that many miles without adaptive cruise control. Hopefully FCA adds it to the JL for 2019?
Regular cruise control died on my LJ about 5 years ago, so while someone more reasonable would miss adaptive cruise control, I’m just excited about regaining that basic feature.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My heart wants Rubicon. I love the look. I’ve always wanted a Rubicon (my LJ is a sport).

Thanks!
You’ve already answered yourself. For the next 10+ years, do you want to feel regret every time you see a Rubicon? You already can’t get SelcTrac with a manual, so there’s really no argument for Sahara if you prefer the Rubicon. The fact that you’re getting a second Wrangler instead of a practical DD throws any concern for gas mileage out the window...

Get what’s gonna make you smile. Life is short.

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
If your LJ was not a Rubicon and it did everything you wanted then a Sahara would be much the same in terms of ability. On the other hand if at times you were wishing you had locking axles and very low geared transfer case then go for the Rubicon. Lastly if you just like the looks of a Rubicon get it.

springglen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (soon)
As we wait for our JL’s (or late availability colours), I’d appreciate your input.

My JL will be my DD.
I live in the land of snow drifts/freezing rain/flooding from thaws/flash freeze.
I figure this will likely be the last vehicle that I can buy with a manual transmission (I keep my vehicles 10+ Years), so I’m pretty set on the manual.
I go off-road, but nothing a Sahara can’t reasonably handle.
My head says Sahara for its better gas mileage, better on road handling, and more comfortable ride.

I’m asking for your thoughts on one vs the other, given my situation. I’m not sure I’ll get to drive a rubicon before making my purchase decision, so I’m open to all input.

Thanks!
I'm in same boat as you in many ways. I want the manual, am interested in the Sahara although the Rubicon looks nice. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Was initially set on Sahara with Selec-Track but then found out you can't get it in manual so Rubicon came into play.
2. I like the look of Sahara with the upgraded wheels (can't stand the base wheels)
3. I like overall look of Rubicon maybe slightly more although my 9 year old son like the Sahara when you configure online.
4. Not certain how much difference ride quality will be (assuming same All-Terrain tire for both- you probably don't want a mud-terrain for daily driver). If it is significant that would probably be enough to have me go Sahara.
5. I decided in the end that for 45-50k it's silly not to both look at and test drive both before making my decision. As much as would be great to have sooner rather than later, it is worth waiting a month or so for what will be a car for the next 10+years...at least that's what a responsible adult would do ;)

Let us know what you decide. And then once you do, all you have to figure out is which options!

Sponsored

flyeaglesfly

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase

My JL will be my DD. I currently drive about 25 000km a year, but in the life of this vehicle, will likely see that increase a fair bit. Most of that driving takes place on rural roads, but I will occasionally be heading into the city with stop and go traffic.

I live in the land of snow drifts/freezing rain/flooding from thaws/flash freeze. And it seems like that can all happen in one day. Roads can be ridiculous.

I’m working on an LJ build for the cottage/weekend fun vehicle. I’m hoping to learn lots through that process, but I’m not knowledgeable nor handy...

I go off-road, but nothing a Sahara can’t reasonably handle. I’d like to join our local Jeep club, but I know I’m never going to take on the bigger trails.

Thanks!

Asked myself the same question and then recalled what a friend asked me a few months back... how often are you really going to go rock crawling. Uhmm never, so my Sahara JL is beng built right now. Aggressive looks can be added through after market down the road.

Just my 2 c

Good luck either way!

:rock:

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Asked myself the same question and then recalled what a friend asked me a few months back... how often are you really going to go rock crawling. Uhmm never, so my Sahara JL is beng built right now. Aggressive looks can be added through after market down the road.

Just my 2 c

Good luck either way!

:rock:
The problem is that aggressive look you will be seeking aftermarket can be obtained up front for probably less $.

Hood ($600 not painted)
Higher fenders ($800)
33’s A/T KO2’s ($1125)
1”lift w better suspension. ($1500)
Fuel door ($100)

Total: $4125

Not to mention labor.

Or for $3,000 you get all that stuff plus the capability w lockers and better axles and gears.

Really no right or wrong, just personal preference.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
For your needs, the Sahara sounds perfect and you can always make your Sahara look better than a stock Rubicon. That's what I plan on doing at least, since the Rubicon would be overkill for my needs.

OP
OP
ResponsibleAdult

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For your needs, the Sahara sounds perfect and you can always make your Sahara look better than a stock Rubicon. That's what I plan on doing at least, since the Rubicon would be overkill for my needs.
I don’t disagree. But I recognize that I have a box with Poison Spyder fenders currently sitting in our entrance... If I have parts arriving for two different jeeps on a regular basis, the next delivery might be divorce papers.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
This is based on owning JKs, but with that said, here's a very simple but huge reason we will never buy a sport or sahara. . . electronic sway bar disconnect. It's not only for rock crawling, I use ours for smoothing out rough back roads. If it's like the JK then it'll work up to 18 mph in 4 hi. We've had an '07 JKUR, '12 JKUR, and still have our '14 JKUR. The difference that it makes is very noticeable. I use ours 1000x more than I've ever used lockers and we go to Moab & Colorado (20 times in the last 10 years) just to go 4 wheeling. If you've never been in a Rubicon then go test drive one and find the closest speed bump and run diagonally across it a few times with it connected and disconnected. It all but eliminates that thrown back and forth jarring that happens. In fact, almost every time we've gone to the lake, or out exploring dirt roads, we run across washboard roads. I yank it into 4hi, hit the button and the ride is instantly less jarring. Sure, you can buy manual disconnects but who wants to stop and unhook for 1/4 mile of bumps?
Sponsored

Last edited: