Stripped bolt on Mopar Hinge Reinforcement Kit - Ugh!

OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So today, my OCD got the best of me and I fully replaced the half-a**ed torx bolts that Mopar supplies with the reinforced hinge kit. No one should try and torque down to 35 pounds on a torx head bolt. I had one round off (see above) then I bought an allen head one and nearly did the same thing prior to getting to full torque setting.

I noticed that the replacement bolt had started to show some rust around the rounded off head and I had to use an easy-out extractor to get the frigging thing out.....what a treat that was, but it came out.

I ended up finding boltdepot.com that allowed me to buy the correct size bolt in a hex head. The only down side was that I had to spray paint them since they were not black oxide and they were unable to find any black oxide bolts with the specs we need.

Here is my order:
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 6.05.22 PM.jpg

Here is the paint job:

IMG_0274 2.jpg

Here is the finished product:

IMG_0275.jpg

Advertisement

RL48

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 - JLUR
So today, my OCD got the best of me and I fully replaced the half-a**ed torx bolts that Mopar supplies with the reinforced hinge kit. No one should try and torque down to 35 pounds on a torx head bolt. I had one round off (see above) then I bought an allen head one and nearly did the same thing prior to getting to full torque setting.

I noticed that the replacement bolt had started to show some rust around the rounded off head and I had to use an easy-out extractor to get the frigging thing out.....what a treat that was, but it came out.

I ended up finding boltdepot.com that allowed me to buy the correct size bolt in a hex head. The only down side was that I had to spray paint them since they were not black oxide and they were unable to find any black oxide bolts with the specs we need.

Here is my order:
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 6.05.22 PM.jpg

Here is the paint job:

IMG_0274 2.jpg

Here is the finished product:

IMG_0275.jpg
Thank You, i purchased these Bolts and they worked perfect. Way better then the ones provided

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thank You, i purchased these Bolts and they worked perfect. Way better then the ones provided
Glad it helped!

telix

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2016 BMW X3, 1990 Jeep Wrangler Islander
Exact same problem here. The mopar part 68413358 to get new bolt would be $100 and more parts that I do not need. Thanks for the tip on the bolt depot. I may look into getting those. but I do wish I could just get that piece and not have to take the whole thing apart for this one bolt.

Edit: the more I look at the BobK's photo the more I like it. It does look better than the other torx bolts and a better design for torque. Went ahead and ordered them up from bolt depot and will do the same fix. Thanks BobK for the part numbers and photos

Last edited:

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement