Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
You may be able to cut a slot across the fastener head using a dremel and thin cutoff wheel, then use a screwdriver to back it out. Be careful that you don’t cut all the way through the head. If you do, then you’ll need to drill into the bolt shank and use a small spiral screw extractor.

In the future, get some EZ Grip friction drops and use them on these stupid Torx fasteners to reduce the chance of stripping the heads by camming out like this.
AHH wish i knew this before.. THank you i will def use the ez grip. sounds promising

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
AHH wish i knew this before.. THank you i will def use the ez grip. sounds promising
Yes, it’s unfortunately one of those products that you probably never even know exists until you find yourself in a situation where you shoulda coulda used it to prevent a disaster.

Put a tiny dab on the tip of the Torx bit or in the head of the Torx bolt and remove it using an impact gun. Won’t cam out and strip the fastener heads.

And screw Jeep for using these strip prone fasteners for no practical reason that I can think of instead of something more user friendly. They can’t even use theft security as a reason because regular Torx bits are common.

Sponsored

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion, the use of Torx bolts on painted surfaces like that is a huge mistake. I suspect FCA does it for appearance sake on on the hinges, but they never come off without paint scratching or breaking off and this is not the first case of a rounded Torx head hinge bolt. I think a hex head would be a far better choice all around.

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
In my opinion, the use of Torx bolts on painted surfaces like that is a huge mistake. I suspect FCA does it for appearance sake on on the hinges, but they never come off without paint scratching or breaking off and this is not the first case of a rounded Torx head hinge bolt. I think a hex head would be a far better choice all around.
Yeah .. usually i would’ve been super careful but I’ll be replacing it with the cb antenna mount bolts so as long as the hinge paint doesn’t chip i wouldn’t care. They def should do something tho... but I’m assuming this would be the bottom of their priority list with all the stuff going on.
Sponsored