Stripped a bolt.. f what do I do????

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Hello please don’t mAke fun of me ... I’m sad as f.
What can I do to take this out?? The t50 that was provided was loose when inserted in the bolt

Jeep Wrangler JL Stripped a bolt.. f what do I do???? 2134F7D8-1CB0-4E03-985B-76316E71994B

64E06E44-0094-4418-B96E-C61DBEF6F0F0.jpeg
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can you take and post pics which are further away so we can see the location of this bolt?

And relax, take a deep breath, maybe get something cold to drink, and take a break. The worst thing you can do is panic and start trying to fix it without thinking it through.

Whenever I've had something like this before (which has been several times when dealing with broken or stripped torx or allen head bolts/bits), is to walk away and do something else for awhile. Then when I return to the problem, I'm able to work through the issue and solve the problem.

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
It’s my bottom tailgate hinge bolt .. the one on the right..

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a few ideas on how to remove the broken torx bit:

If you have a welder or easy access to someone who does, you can weld a nut onto the end of the broken bit and then use a wrench to hopefully turn it back and forth to get it free.

If not, then you can try drilling into the metal of the bolt between the torx bit teeth to create some free space (see the attached pic, drill where the red arrows are) so you can then either: use vise grip pliers on the broken bit to extract or use a hammer and chisel to knock it free. I'd recommend starting with small drill bits and work up to larger ones. When using small bits, do not apply a lot of pressure, go slow, and use cutting oil. If you break a bit inside the bolt, it will be a nightmare to drill around it. I also recommend using Carbide bits if you can, they're strong, sharp, and best for drilling into hard steel.

But I don't know where this bolt is and what it is securing. That will dictate how you want to get the broken bit out and if you can afford to damage the face of the fastener.

If the face of the fastener is destroyed, you may have to drill it out and/or use a broken bolt extractor. I snapped one of the mounting bolts off in my JL's steering box mount. I spent several hours drilling it out. Once I did that, I finished by drilling the mount out slightly larger than original and used a larger grade 8 bolt and nut.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s my bottom tailgate hinge bolt .. the one on the right..
The bolts on the outside of the tailgate holding the exterior hinge brace or inside the tub holding the actual hinge to the body?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Here's a few ideas on how to remove the broken torx bit:

If you have a welder or easy access to someone who does, you can weld a nut onto the end of the broken bit and then use a wrench to hopefully turn it back and forth to get it free.

If not, then you can try drilling into the metal of the bolt between the torx bit teeth to create some free space (see the attached pic, drill where the red arrows are) so you can then either: use vise grip pliers on the broken bit to extract or use a hammer and chisel to knock it free. I'd recommend starting with small drill bits and work up to larger ones. When using small bits, do not apply a lot of pressure, go slow, and use cutting oil. If you break a bit inside the bolt, it will be a nightmare to drill around it. I also recommend using Carbide bits if you can, they're strong, sharp, and best for drilling into hard steel.

But I don't know where this bolt is and what it is securing. That will dictate how you want to get the broken bit out and if you can afford to damage the face of the fastener.

If the face of the fastener is destroyed, you may have to drill it out and/or use a broken bolt extractor. I snapped one of the mounting bolts off in my JL's steering box mount. I spent several hours drilling it out. Once I did that, I finished by drilling the mount out slightly larger than original and used a larger grade 8 bolt and nut.
thanks man.. ill def try to do both methods... really sucks .. wish I could’ve avoided this nonsense headache

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
The bolts on the outside of the tailgate holding the exterior hinge brace or inside the tub holding the actual hinge to the body?
It is the bolt on the outside of the tailgate holding the bottom exterior hinge brace

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It is the bolt on the outside of the tailgate holding the bottom exterior hinge brace
Got it. Are you removing those bolts to put on a new tire carrier?

When I removed mine, I tried using a ½" ratchet and bit and discovered that was a recipe for disaster. Instead, I used a ½" cordless impact wrench and those bolts came out very fast and without issue. I do not recommend the removal of those bolts with a normal ratchet! They are kind of sealed on with paint and clear coat and you really need that instantaneous application of torque via impact wrench to get them out without breakage, as you now know.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have used a chisel or punch and hammer to remove torx head fasteners before under similar circumstances. You run the risk of damage to surrounding surfaces if the tool slips off the fastener's face while tapping it out (counter-clockwise to remove),

You can remove the interior tailgate panel and see if the backside of this bolt is visible. That also might help in removing the bolt. I honestly don't know if you can see it though, I didn't pay attention when I had my tailgate panel off.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Maybe hammer in a T55 or T60 bit if you have one, not the most elegant solution but it has worked for me a few times.(not this exact scenario but same concept)

Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
did it move at all? if so, this is a total backwoods move, but, has worked for me more than once. vice grips on the outside edge.

whatever you do, masking take around its o You don't tear up your paint.

then, a trip to the dealer for a new bolt, with a pass by advance for some never seize.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Torx bolts were the bane of my existence on my CJ. This is one piece of heritage I would love to see go away. Lol
Yes! It's like Jeep thinks torx bolts are part of the Jeep heritage. They need to be outlawed.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You may be able to cut a slot across the fastener head using a dremel and thin cutoff wheel, then use a screwdriver to back it out. Be careful that you don’t cut all the way through the head. If you do, then you’ll need to drill into the bolt shank and use a small spiral screw extractor.

In the future, get some EZ Grip friction drops and use them on these stupid Torx fasteners to reduce the chance of stripping the heads by camming out like this.
Sponsored