Strip black paint off Rubicon wheels?

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Granite Mettalic
Anyone tried to strip the black paint off the Rubicon wheels? Ive seen the exact wheel finished in satin clear and they look x10 better. Any tips on how to do this and what to finish them with once they are clean? No looking for a polished look but would love the whole wheel to look like the clear spoke section does now.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/buzz-wheel-satin-carbon-finish-jeep-wrangler-jl
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Anyone tried to strip the black paint off the Rubicon wheels? Ive seen the exact wheel finished in satin clear and they look x10 better. Any tips on how to do this and what to finish them with once they are clean? No looking for a polished look but would love the whole wheel to look like the clear spoke section does now.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/buzz-wheel-satin-carbon-finish-jeep-wrangler-jl
Probably just easier to repaint the whole wheel a new color.

OP
OP
cdavison82

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably just easier to repaint the whole wheel a new color.
Why do you say that? Have you tried it and it doesn't work? I dont want it to look painted I like the brushed aluminum look.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Why do you say that? Have you tried it and it doesn't work? I dont want it to look painted I like the brushed aluminum look.
Might take it to a paint shop and see what they say as far as being able to remove the black only. AFAIK the whole wheel's painted so to remove just the black without affecting any of the silver may be a tough thing to do.

OP
OP
cdavison82

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might take it to a paint shop and see what they say as far as being able to remove the black only. AFAIK the whole wheel's painted so to remove just the black without affecting any of the silver may be a tough thing to do.
Interesting I guess I had never looked at it under a flashlight. It does appear as if the silver is a paint as well, I thought it was the natural brushed aluminum.
Sponsored