First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Howdy,

Something totally unusual I know.

Has anyone had much experience putting lightweight wheels and street sport tires on a Wrangler to make it more of a sports car? My thinking was that with a Sahara-like spec with Trac-Lok differential it could drive and handle pretty well on the street. Wasn't planning on off-roading much and mostly like Jeep styling. I love convertibles and it sounds like fun to take the doors and roof off and zip around town with a manual transmission Jeep.

I drove a Rubicon today with I believe 75 profile off-road tires and it was hilariously bad on the street. I figured with some lightweight wheels and low profile sport tires it'd change the ride completely.
Sponsored

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
EDD09DB8-96B4-49B2-8E42-0E9B5180518A.jpeg
Jeep Wrangler JL Street wheels and tires {filename}
Jeep Wrangler JL Street wheels and tires {filename}
You may be on to something!

OP
OP
thenewrick

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:)

If I end up getting a JL I'll probably be the only person lowering it and putting street tires on it and tuning it for fun!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Far from the only one, and that’s fine, because the one costant with the Wrangler... Your Jeep YOUR Rules!

It doesn’t matter what others think or want to do with theirs, it’s all about the Smile it puts on YOUR face. :captain:

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Skyjacker makes a lowering kit for JKs. Don't know how much of the suspension will be compatible with the JL. It will go well with the 368 hp turbo motor...

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Lots of lowered Jeeps on George Town lake off i70 running some sort of race on the frozen lake.

loco

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrangler 2dr sport S
Howdy,

Something totally unusual I know.

Has anyone had much experience putting lightweight wheels and street sport tires on a Wrangler to make it more of a sports car? My thinking was that with a Sahara-like spec with Trac-Lok differential it could drive and handle pretty well on the street. Wasn't planning on off-roading much and mostly like Jeep styling. I love convertibles and it sounds like fun to take the doors and roof off and zip around town with a manual transmission Jeep.

I drove a Rubicon today with I believe 75 profile off-road tires and it was hilariously bad on the street. I figured with some lightweight wheels and low profile sport tires it'd change the ride completely.
Buy a corvette !!

OP
OP
thenewrick

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed in the aftermarket, wheels for Wranglers tend to be heavier and less expensive. Does this mean they're built with more strength in mind or perhaps just less attention to making the lightest wheel possible? I was pretty surprised to see how little support there was for aftermarket wheels on Wranglers. Also, it seems like Tirerack doesn't even offer any performance tires for the Wrangler as standard because of sizing.

I've not been able to find out much information about wheel weight on Wranglers. I believe speculation is that the 17's are about 24 lbs. I would be really interested to know what stock Sahara 18 inch wheels weigh.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
There are hundreds of wheels for Wranglers but most of them are designed for off road strength due to the fact the vehicle is designed and built as an off road vehicle. Weight isn't as important in the Wrangler community vs the Fast and the Furious community. If you have the money for custom wheels they can custom bore the bolt pattern for a JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thenewrick

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd probably be fine with stock wheels. The tires make the biggest difference by far.

I wonder how the 18's feel compared to the 17's with similar tires. I kinda feel like since they use such huge tires, it doesn't matter so much.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Far from the only one, and that’s fine, because the one costant with the Wrangler... Your Jeep YOUR Rules!

It doesn’t matter what others think or want to do with theirs, it’s all about the Smile it puts on YOUR face. :captain:
amen to that. preach on preacha!
Sponsored