Sponsored

Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts?

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Never have to worry about this in Vermont. You’d have to be a complete freakin idiot to try and steal someone’s ride here.
Good to hear.....hope it stays that way!! :fist bump:
Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I started a few posts recently about securing my spare wheel, and my hood lock.

So, BOLT hood lock was the first thing I bought and installed. Love that it's keyed to my Jeep FOB key.

As for my spare wheel.

I've done a few things. Remember - this is just about trying to make it more inconvenient, and take them more time. None of thee will stop a pro:

I have the rear stock back-up camera on my Jeep, so, that comes out the centre of the spare wheel. It has a torx screw on it - and when you want to remove the spare wheel you need to use a Torx to 'unlock' that bolt, and then remove the camera module before the spare can be removed,

I painted a coin black to match the camera enclosure. I then used E6000 adhesive and filled in the torx hole, and then when that was dry I adhered the coin over the top of that - it fits perfectly on that circle spot and blends in - especially since my Jeep is always filthy with dirt and mud. If you're not familiar with the spare setup, but just looking you might not have any clue that I've done this and is preventing you from removing the wheel.

For me - I know what I've done and have used E6000 for so many years - if I need to get it out and remove the wheel - I have the proper tool in my Jeep that will allow me to do that. Again - just about slowing people down.

I then installed MOPAR locking lugs on the spare - the kind with the outer ring that rotates. I then have covered the front of those lugs with black circular dots. So, if you're not familiar with them you can't even tell you need a special key as you cannot see the grooves on the front of them.

I figure this is about all I can do. Sounds like a lot but was just a few minutes worth of stuff.

BTW - reading people's posts about leaving their jeeps on trails etc... Other day I get to the top of this logging road, and there is a Pathfinder parked on the side, with an iPad sitting there in a RAM mount. I use a similar setup - but was amazed the person left the iPad sitting in it for anyone to see. I'm just not that trusting and it makes me sad :(

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Appreciate the responses so far - great info here.

Yeah, I've heard it can be a pain to put in, but that's good to know that means it'll be just as hard to get out. Out of curiosity, which winch/winch plates did the two of you go with it given you both have the factory bumpers?

Thanks for the product-specific call out - I knew there were locking bolts, but just didn't know what to search for. Sounds like I could add one of these and it would be crazy secure.

Congrats, you win the award for the least helpful post.
Sorry for the late reply....Daniel..I went with the Warn plate and the Badlands Apex 12000

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
I put a gas cap Cover (not just a cap) on that locks. People dont even bother because it looks like a pain the Butt to open (but its not). I also put a major Viper alarm and GPS system with remote start and engine kill. If the jeep gets a bump it goes off, but I dont have it set to go off when the wind blows. But its full blown, Touch my Jeep and I will know. Just gotta pay attention to your phone. Oh and thats another $100 per year. But if I can sleep at night its worth it. I remember I used to just leave my keys in my Jeep. The only time it came up missing a friend took it to pull his wifes cars off an icy road, he filled it and left it where it was. The good old days.
Which alarm did you use exactly and do you have to carry an additional fob now?

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Let’s just say someone I know was having her Jeep screwed with almost nightly in a city in Washington. It appeared that Antifa didn’t like her blue line flag on the Jeep. So she let her GSD sleep in it one night and when she heard commotion all she found was a smiling dog and blood!

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Which alarm did you use exactly and do you have to carry an additional fob now?
Yes I do have to carry an additional FOB. But the damn Jeep FOB is huge anyway. It has not been an issue. What I like about it, I can be in Japan and know if I have an alarm in Phoenix....

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
For those of you that street park your Jeeps (no garage access), what precautions are you taking to secure your vehicle? I'm particularly interested if, any, additional safety measures those of you with winches have taken, as I'm looking to get one in the next couple of weeks and have read multiple horror stories on the interwebs of people having them stolen off their vehicles.

I ordered a hood lock today, and have the mopar locking lug nuts on the tires and spare. I'm not too concerned about people stealing my gas (plus that seems like a pain to have to constantly unlock/lock whenever I fill up). Are there any other recommendations that people have to add? My neighborhood isn't necessarily bad, but shit happens in the city of Chicago all the time, so I lean towards being overly cautious.
Isn't this why we pay for insurance? Having said that, I have a hood lock and locking gas cap in the closet for when my Jeep arrives. The gas cap is less about gas being stolen and more about the fact that we live near several colleges and drunk, bored college kids like to mess with stuff. But, I ordered a soft top, so obviously not that concerned about security overall.

RZ.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 Sport S
Occupation
Blueprints & Tarot
Voodoo.

Nobody f's with the Loa!

RZ.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 Sport S
Occupation
Blueprints & Tarot
^ Obviously not a practitioner of the craft! ;):LOL:

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I had hood latch locks, a locking gas cover and wheel locks (5 per wheel and 3.on the spare). I never worried about my winch because they would have to take off the front bumper. I also had a T-Mobile sync up and drive OBD-II interface that notified me of movement, bumps, starting and location of the jeep via notifications on my phone (my wife also used it to locate me whenever she was so inclined since I don't have an iPhone and find my friends feature (I called it "find my husband...)).

I also was mindful of where I parked and never parked overnight in a neighborhood I wouldn't walk in at night, either. I understand that for some, you have no choice. Locks and alarms deter some, but a 9mm or . 357 work best...

20200710_094942.jpg

20200710_094929.jpg
Sponsored