Sponsored

Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts?

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
I'm planning on hood locks for the '21. With the passenger compartment more secure and the gas locked, there will be nothing for them to steal except the big battery. Still pondering the right solution for lug locks on the new one.

Heck I might even ask the apartment for a different parking spot so it doesn't end up getting profiled so quickly. (They're getting nothing out of the 94 but still hitting it, but I don't want them thinking "easy target" when the new one is parked there.)
Sponsored

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Yeah your in a tough spot, not worth putting a security system on it if you are getting a new 2021. I just bought mine and it has so much security on it, I feel like a criminal driving it. But its nice when an alarm goes off my phone alerts me and I have GPS and all that stuff. The Fob works from 2 miles away and the phone works from anywhere in the world where there is phone service....
I assume this is an aftermarket option to have your phone alerted when the alarm goes off? If there's a way to do that with the default alarm + uConnect app, I'd love to know how.

I'm planning on hood locks for the '21. With the passenger compartment more secure and the gas locked, there will be nothing for them to steal except the big battery. Still pondering the right solution for lug locks on the new one.
I would strongly recommend the Bolt hood lock as you can key it to your Jeep key.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I have the key matching Hood lock , Wheel locks and Hitch lock.
I recently installed a set of McGard Door Hinge security bolts they seem to be well made. Some what pricey $44.00.
Anyone else try them?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The Tazer JL Mini has a 'hood' alarm. It's gone off on mine parked outside a few times when I lived in Denver proper. Got out of Denver proper cause it's a shithole now. Highest property theft rates in the country and according to nextdoor/neighbors when you call they say they're 'understaffed', the thief was released and they are unable to even investigate. Wonderful world we're living in now thanks to politics and China Virus.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Thank you all for the security suggestions. I leave my vehicle at remote trailheads a couple times per week. Nearly half of those trips are overnight. The meth heads are so bad in some areas, I won't hike there anymore. It's a darned shame.

Most of these trailhead burglaries are smash & grabs - but the thieves will hit multiple cars at a time. Have any of you tried using security film on your windows?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I recently installed a set of McGard Door Hinge security bolts; they seem to be well made. Somewhat pricey $44.00. Anyone else try them?
They're in my parts box, awaiting installation. What was your perception of the quality of the bolts? One reviewer mentioned the threads being a bit undermachined.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I assume this is an aftermarket option to have your phone alerted when the alarm goes off? If there's a way to do that with the default alarm + uConnect app, I'd love to know how.

I would strongly recommend the Bolt hood lock as you can key it to your Jeep key.
Went to Viper, Mopar was 5 X the price.......

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
They're in my parts box, awaiting installation. What was your perception of the quality of the bolts? One reviewer mentioned the threads being a bit undermachined.
Seem to be fine, I didn't see any difference.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for the security suggestions. I leave my vehicle at remote trailheads a couple times per week. Nearly half of those trips are overnight. The meth heads are so bad in some areas, I won't hike there anymore. It's a darned shame.

Most of these trailhead burglaries are smash & grabs - but the thieves will hit multiple cars at a time. Have any of you tried using security film on your windows?
This is one of my main concerns now. I often hike/camp for hours or days and leave the jeep at trailheads. You'll see broken glass at the trailhead parking spots. I just make sure to clean everything out of my Jeep prior to those trips. Not easy because I carry tools, recovery gear, cold weather gear, medical gear, etc all the time.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This is one of my main concerns now. I often hike/camp for hours or days and leave the jeep at trailheads. You'll see broken glass at the trailhead parking spots. I just make sure to clean everything out of my Jeep prior to those trips. Not easy because I carry tools, recovery gear, cold weather gear, medical gear, etc all the time.
Sad times we are in when we have to be concerned with securing our vehicles from druggies and others. I guess we just have to do as you mention and take stuff with us.

I even put my JLUR spare tire inside the Jeep because they are being stolen more and more. I put a spare tire delete plate on the tailgate. We take our ATV's out to the backcountry and the Jeeps are left unattended in remote places. Unfortunately, not remote enough for the thieves. :facepalm:

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Sad times we are in when we have to be concerned with securing our vehicles from druggies and others. I guess we just have to do as you mention and take stuff with us.

I even put my JLUR spare tire inside the Jeep because they are being stolen more and more. I put a spare tire delete plate on the tailgate. We take our ATV's out to the backcountry and the Jeeps are left unattended in remote places. Unfortunately, not remote enough for the thieves. :facepalm:
Never have to worry about this in Vermont. You’d have to be a complete freakin idiot to try and steal someone’s ride here.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good old Libertarian Vermont :flag:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I found out (although I never tried it) that if a building requires no weapons, they have to supply a locked area for the gun. Yeah it sucks... Like I would trust them to hold my EDC.
It’s policy, not law. I just carry everywhere that’s legal or not. No schools or fed building etc.
Sponsored