Sponsored

Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts?

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I'm just curious, I didn't buy my wheel locks at the dealer. I did buy them from Mopar for about $50 less. I put them on Rubicon wheels and the things really poke out there. If you had a Pretty good pair of Water Pump pliers (channel locks) you could probably get them off. It might Muck up the wheel though.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm just curious, I didn't buy my wheel locks at the dealer. I did buy them from Mopar for about $50 less. I put them on Rubicon wheels and the things really poke out there. If you had a Pretty good pair of Water Pump pliers (channel locks) you could probably get them off. It might Muck up the wheel though.
The Mopar wheel locks stick out a lot. Probably easy to remove given enough time. Look into a full set of Gorilla wheel locks. Every lug has unique splines so a key has to be used for every lug. More time for the thief. They look much better also.

Know this though. Locking wheel locks are pretty easy to defeat with a special extraction socket designed to remove wheel locks. You hammer it on and it grabs the wheel lock as you loosen the locking lug. It takes time and thieves usually will pass for a easier vehicle. Hopefully anyway.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
For those of you that street park your Jeeps (no garage access), what precautions are you taking to secure your vehicle? I'm particularly interested if, any, additional safety measures those of you with winches have taken, as I'm looking to get one in the next couple of weeks and have read multiple horror stories on the interwebs of people having them stolen off their vehicles.

I ordered a hood lock today, and have the mopar locking lug nuts on the tires and spare. I'm not too concerned about people stealing my gas (plus that seems like a pain to have to constantly unlock/lock whenever I fill up). Are there any other recommendations that people have to add? My neighborhood isn't necessarily bad, but shit happens in the city of Chicago all the time, so I lean towards being overly cautious.
In Chicago? Probably you will need to hire couple of men , somebody like Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson.

BearcatMLA

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep 3.0L diesel granite crystal metallic
Jeep Wrangler JL Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts? 1596509538950

Thinking I'll invest in 5 of these. Gotta protect the spare too!

On a serious note, My truck was stolen about 2 months ago. It was found about 6 weeks later and it was stripped down and had 15 undocumented people in it when border patrol found it. My truck was one thing but if my Jeep was stolen it would suck...

I've been considering the Raven dash cam but not sure that solves the problem. Looking at a hood lock right now.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thieves will get what they want if they really want it. All you can really can do is make it as inconvenient as possible. Maybe they will pass on your vehicle for a easier one.

My advice for anyone who lives in a larger city or areas where crime is problematic. I would try slowing them down and making it as inconvenient as possible. At the very least I'd buy a Bolt hood lock, Gorilla wheel lock set and a locking gas cap that is keyed alike.

I think it's criminal that FCA/Jeep does not install a hood lock from the factory as standard equipment. It's a money grab for FCA/Mopar to sell you a hood lock as a accessory. On principle I would buy a hood lock from BOLT instead. The Bolt lock is better and cheaper. It keys itself to your fob key automatically.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
How about a RING cam in or on your jeep. Seems to work against them porch pirates. if your parked close enough to your house with a booster you should be able to monitor just like you can your house
I park in my driveway with a Ring camera pointed right at the Jeep.

Never have any problems, but around this area we have more thieves of opportunity looking for unlocked cars than real thieves looking to make a bigger problem.

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I just installed a Diabolical Slipstream security enclosure to my 2018 JLUS. I just put anything of value in the back. Best security enclosure I've ever seen. Great security with top on or off. https://shop.diabolicalinc.com/products/slipstream-jeep-security-enclosure-jlu

Jeep Wrangler JL Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts? 20161020_021023

Jeep Wrangler JL Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts? 20161020_021023
How removable is that? I really like that concept, especially for top off (something I'll start doing next year), but I would hate to give up the ability to stack a ton of my camping gear in the back.

Clenz

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray
My daughters Jeep was vandalized while parked in her apartment lot in Cincinnati. They cut out the back window of the soft top, ripped out the dash and took an aftermarket radio. Lots of damage for a cheap radio.
Here's the issue - we have the perp on video from the surveillance cams, but this is of no use. The cops didn't even care to see the video! It certainly wasn't a deterrent in the age of Covid with everyone wearing masks. I don't see a dashcam as a deterrent and it won't be used to catch the guy - cops are NOT investigating property crimes.
Your only recourse is insurance, and you are out the deductible AND a lot of time and headaches. Keep valuables out of sight that would make your Jeep a target. We could see in the video he scoped out several cars in the lot and obviously chose the ones that were easy targets. This was at 6pm - broad daylight!
Jeep Wrangler JL Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts? 3838617177442361016
Jeep Wrangler JL Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts? 4712956319549985969
Jeep Wrangler JL Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts? 5156434327401207573

Sponsored

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
How removable is that? I really like that concept, especially for top off (something I'll start doing next year), but I would hate to give up the ability to stack a ton of my camping gear in the back.
Takes about 3-4 minutes to take out so you can lay the back seats down and use the full length of the Jeep. It takes 4-6 hours to install initially, but most the that is the custom fitting around the sides near the roll bars. FORUMS10 gets you 10% off right now.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cordless tools make our lives easier. The crooks also. Cordless impacts for wheels, They can duck under a car with a cordless Sawzall and cut out a cat in less then a minute.

Unfortunately property crime is very low priority in some cities like Chicago. They know police will not respond or it takes 5 to 15 minutes if they do. Punk thieves know this so it's a free for all. Add insult to injury…they know they won't get locked up even if they are caught. They sign a I-bond and get out of jail if they do get caught. An I Bond allows you to be released on your own recognizance. That means you simply promise to come to court for all your scheduled dates. There’s no money involved in an I Bond.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The Mopar wheel locks stick out a lot. Probably easy to remove given enough time. Look into a full set of Gorilla wheel locks. Every lug has unique splines so a key has to be used for every lug. More time for the thief. They look much better also.

Know this though. Locking wheel locks are pretty easy to defeat with a special extraction socket designed to remove wheel locks. You hammer it on and it grabs the wheel lock as you loosen the locking lug. It takes time and thieves usually will pass for a easier vehicle. Hopefully anyway.
I have read several posts on Jeep Forums about the increasing theft of Wrangler spares. As viper88 (Nick) says, it is getting easier and easier for it to happen.

There were several methods mentioned (e.g., hyper tightening the stock lug nuts and then easily removing the locking lug nut(s), and using specialty/slightly larger sockets that are beat onto the locking nuts and easily removing them, etc.).

Thieves in every area are getting more sophisticated so all we can do is try to stay ahead of them. I put a cover plate on my back gate and put the spare inside, under a metal shelf they are now selling. I leave it unattended often so this helps protect it. Maybe overkill, but wheels/tires are expensive as h#@& nowadays. :no:
Sponsored