Sponsored

Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yeah, I've heard it can be a pain to put in, but that's good to know that means it'll be just as hard to get out. Out of curiosity, which winch/winch plates did the two of you go with it given you both have the factory bumpers?
I also used the warn like Jessedacri....same I had to lengthen the holes in the front protective steel plate. Wasn't as much hard as it was time consuming to get mine in. I put in the Apex Badland 12000, a bit overkill but it was a good price and really nicely made .

IMG_4362.jpg
Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
How about a RING cam in or on your jeep. Seems to work against them porch pirates. if your parked close enough to your house with a booster you should be able to monitor just like you can your house

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah the winch in the OEM steel bumper is literally impossible to remove so you're safe. In any case it'd take a lot of time on the part of someone to get that thing free. I'm not sure what the strategy is on something slightly easier like cowl or bumper mounted lights.
I added in actual security bolts to the light install. Ordered them off the internet so it's not like they're specific to my install but at least you can't get the removal bits at Harbor Freight.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I lived in a town like that in Northwest Arkansas. I still live in the same town, it's just not like that anymore!
Last week we were on our Harley riding across north Arkansas on 412 headed to Tulsa. Nice ride, lots of small towns full of old cars and antiques.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Last week we were on our Harley riding across north Arkansas on 412 headed to Tulsa. Nice ride, lots of small towns full of old cars and antiques.
You passed about 20 miles south of me (Berryville, AR). Eventually, 412 is supposed to be 4 lanes across the whole state and bypass most of the smaller towns.

What part of Iowa? Until I was 10 years old I lived on a farm in Tripoli, IA (just northeast of Waterloo). I always thought life moved at a slow pace on the farm, but then I moved to Arkansas in 1980. Talk about a slow paced life!

Sponsored

Jasper519

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There are locking bolts for winches so look into those if you are that concerned.

What you should be more concerned about is someone stealing your battery. Far more common with Wranglers then having a winch stolen do to the easy access to the engine bay. Oh and the factory alarm doesn’t cover the engine bay, well not on my JLUR anyways.

Small stuff like aftermarket driving lights also get stolen often but there is little you can do about stopping it. Heck you would be treated like more of a criminal in Chicago for trying to stop someone then the thief doing the stealing.

Sadly the best advice is to follow the “out of sight out of mind rule“ with things left inside your Jeep and not loose to much sleep over a battery or some aftermarket lights that might one day be tempting to steal.

For this reason I stopped buying expensive lights ( two pairs stolen off two different Jeeps) and instead bought cheap ones. No one stoled the cheaper ones....LOL

Good luck with your build.
With the OBD Jscan, you can add the engine bay into the alarm. It’ll sure get you attention the first time you pop the hood and have forgotten you added it!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Live in Chicago also. I am sure you have seen the news. Crime is out of control here in Chicago. I have never seen it so bad. Most property thefts are not even reported. Police do not respond to most property thefts anymore. Thieves know this. No area is safe lately. What part of the City do you live in? I live not far from Navy Pier, a area considered very safe in the past. Saying that 12-14 thugs on rental bikes recently car jacked a elderly 82 year old man at 10am on Grand Ave. 2 blocks east of Chicago's famed Magnifigant Mile. I am going to guess the credit cards used to rent those bikes were stolen. Or the bikes were stolen. It was all caught on video. In other instances not counting carjackings by adults. Armed 10-12 year old kids car jacked at least 14 different people/cars recently. That's not a typo…10 year old kids with guns sticking up people. Not good.

Catalytic converter thief is way up all over Chicago in every neighborhood. I have a 2.0T so the cat is on the manifold, not easy to steal. I have not looked under a 3.6 to see if the cats are vulnerable. A good excuse for armor and skid plates if they are.

Thieves want a easy target. Do what you can to make your vehicle less convenient to steal from. Good start with a hood lock, it's a must have in Chicago. Wheel locks are easy to remove but buys you time. I would definitely get a Mopar locking gas cap. Not for gas theft but to prevent vandalism. Get the one where you can key it to your factory door key fob. No extra keys that way. Consider the security bolts for your winch.

Park in busy, well lit, areas if secured indoor parking is not a option. In front of security cameras or Ring doorbell cameras. Do Not leave anything in plain sight, including loose change. Maybe consider renewing Guardian if you have it. They offer discounts after the trial expires. Guardian alerts you if someone tapers with your JL if they set off the sensors. Most importantly, make sure your insurance is up to date.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/...-carjacking-alyssa-blanchard-trinity-hospital

https://cwbchicago.com/2020/07/cpd-...jacking-82-year-old-man-in-streeterville.html

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Live in Chicago also. I am sure you have seen the news. Crime is out of control here in Chicago. I have never seen it so bad. Most property thefts are not even reported. Police do not respond to most property thefts anymore. Thieves know this. No area is safe lately. What part of the City do you live in? I live not far from Navy Pier, a area considered very safe in the past. Saying that 12-14 thugs on rental bikes recently car jacked a elderly 82 year old man at 10am on Grand Ave 2 blocks east of Magnifigant Mile. I am going to guess the credit cards used to rent those bikes were stolen. Or the bikes were stolen. It was all caught on video. In other instances not counting carjackings by adults. Armed 10-12 year old kids car jacked at least 14 different people/cars recently. Not good.

Catalytic converter thief is way up all over Chicago in every neighborhood. I have a 2.0T so the cat is on the manifold, not easy to steal. I have not looked under a 3.6 to see if the cats are vulnerable. A good excuse for armor and skid plates if they are.

Thieves want a easy target. Do what you can to make your vehicle less convenient to steal from. Good start with a hood lock, it's a must have in Chicago. Wheel locks are easy to remove but buys you time. I would definitely get a Mopar locking gas cap. Not for gas theft but to prevent vandalism. Get the one where you can key it to your factory door key fob. No extra keys that way. Consider the locking bolts for your winch.

Park in lighted areas in front of security cameras or Ring doorbell cameras if secured indoor parking is not a option. Do Not leave anything in plain sight, including loose change. Maybe consider renewing Guardian if you have it. They offer discounts after the trial expires. Guardian alerts you if someone tapers with your JL if they set off the sensors. Most importantly, make sure your insurance is up to date.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/...-carjacking-alyssa-blanchard-trinity-hospital

https://cwbchicago.com/2020/07/cpd-...jacking-82-year-old-man-in-streeterville.html
my brother in law just had the cats stolen off his chevy full size van last week. and good old CA, you cant buy cats from a junkyard. i told him to hit up someone he knows out of state. that's a good idea to have a skid plate welded over it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
my brother in law just had the cats stolen off his chevy full size van last week. and good old CA, you cant buy cats from a junkyard. i told him to hit up someone he knows out of state. that's a good idea to have a skid plate welded over it.
CA is a different animal as far as EPA is concerned. CA is the strictest State in the country as far as emissions. Not sure if it's a option? Maybe have your brother in-law look into universal aftermarket cats.

Sponsored

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal JLUR Recon, 2014 HD Street Bob, Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
I have a garage and rarely park anywhere that would make me feel uncomfortable, but I still used a Factor 55 security bolt on my winch.
LOL - I was going to mention that! I'm glad to see others are using it. Yeah. I've also got a factor 55 security bolt. I'm all for taking extra steps to protect against theft.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
You passed about 20 miles south of me (Berryville, AR). Eventually, 412 is supposed to be 4 lanes across the whole state and bypass most of the smaller towns.

What part of Iowa? Until I was 10 years old I lived on a farm in Tripoli, IA (just northeast of Waterloo). I always thought life moved at a slow pace on the farm, but then I moved to Arkansas in 1980. Talk about a slow paced life!
I'm a few hours west of Waterloo by Storm Lake. Tripoli is over by Waverly, I get alot of mopar restoration parts from a guy there (Jeff Bobst)known nation wide for quality parts.

DustinJLU19

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
For those of you that street park your Jeeps (no garage access), what precautions are you taking to secure your vehicle? I'm particularly interested if, any, additional safety measures those of you with winches have taken, as I'm looking to get one in the next couple of weeks and have read multiple horror stories on the interwebs of people having them stolen off their vehicles.

I ordered a hood lock today, and have the mopar locking lug nuts on the tires and spare. I'm not too concerned about people stealing my gas (plus that seems like a pain to have to constantly unlock/lock whenever I fill up). Are there any other recommendations that people have to add? My neighborhood isn't necessarily bad, but shit happens in the city of Chicago all the time, so I lean towards being overly cautious.
I was concerned as well. Explored the dash cam monitoring, but it was pricey. T-Mobile offers the Mobile Sync which notifies me when my car is disrupted. It has the GPS tracker and other features as well. This only works if it's plugged in though, so if a thief removed it, it would stop working. But, at least you were notified and have the last location.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
For those of you that street park your Jeeps (no garage access), what precautions are you taking to secure your vehicle? I'm particularly interested if, any, additional safety measures those of you with winches have taken, as I'm looking to get one in the next couple of weeks and have read multiple horror stories on the interwebs of people having them stolen off their vehicles.

I ordered a hood lock today, and have the mopar locking lug nuts on the tires and spare. I'm not too concerned about people stealing my gas (plus that seems like a pain to have to constantly unlock/lock whenever I fill up). Are there any other recommendations that people have to add? My neighborhood isn't necessarily bad, but shit happens in the city of Chicago all the time, so I lean towards being overly cautious.
I put a gas cap Cover (not just a cap) on that locks. People dont even bother because it looks like a pain the Butt to open (but its not). I also put a major Viper alarm and GPS system with remote start and engine kill. If the jeep gets a bump it goes off, but I dont have it set to go off when the wind blows. But its full blown, Touch my Jeep and I will know. Just gotta pay attention to your phone. Oh and thats another $100 per year. But if I can sleep at night its worth it. I remember I used to just leave my keys in my Jeep. The only time it came up missing a friend took it to pull his wifes cars off an icy road, he filled it and left it where it was. The good old days.
Sponsored