Sponsored

Street-parked Jeeps: how are you securing your vehicle and aftermarket parts?

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I have read several posts on Jeep Forums about the increasing theft of Wrangler spares. As viper88 (Nick) says, it is getting easier and easier for it to happen.

There were several methods mentioned (e.g., hyper tightening the stock lug nuts and then easily removing the locking lug nut(s), and using specialty/slightly larger sockets that are beat onto the locking nuts and easily removing them, etc.).

Thieves in every area are getting more sophisticated so all we can do is try to stay ahead of them. I put a cover plate on my back gate and put the spare inside, under a metal shelf they are now selling. I leave it unattended often so this helps protect it. Maybe overkill, but wheels/tires are expensive as h#@& nowadays. :no:
You put your spare inside? Got a pic, I would like to see that. Good idea. Does it take up a ton of space?
Sponsored

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You put your spare inside? Got a pic, I would like to see that. Good idea. Does it take up a ton of space?
This is a stock photo, you can get the cover plates from several sources (Extreme Terrain, Quadratec, Amazon, etc.),
Depending on the tire/wheel, it does take up space. But I bought a rear storage rack to carry stuff.

CoverPlate.jpg

Fabtech_Interior_Cargo_Rack_JL_FTS24211_beauty-3.jpg

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Well, I'll be... I never knew. That is nice, I am going to check it out. Thanks

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I'll be... I never knew. That is nice, I am going to check it out. Thanks
There's alot out there now......I was surprised to see all the options.

:fist bump:

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Although I rarely park anywhere my Jeep is going to be messed with, I have installed lug locks, hood locks, and a gas door lock. All to discourage, as none will prevent. The gas lock is more about vandalism than theft. It's too easy for some azzhole to drop something in your tank 'just for fun'. I also keep a Ruger lock box cabled to rear seat supports in the event I have leave my concealed carry gun in the vehicle while I go in a building with a 'no gun' sign.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Although I rarely park anywhere my Jeep is going to be messed with, I have installed lug locks, hood locks, and a gas door lock. All to discourage, as none will prevent. The gas lock is more about vandalism than theft. It's too easy for some azzhole to drop something in your tank 'just for fun'. I also keep a Ruger lock box cabled to rear seat supports in the event I have leave my concealed carry gun in the vehicle while I go in a building with a 'no gun' sign.
I found out (although I never tried it) that if a building requires no weapons, they have to supply a locked area for the gun. Yeah it sucks... Like I would trust them to hold my EDC.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What brand/type of hood locks did you get? I looked at several but there was not a clear consensus on how well they worked. I kind of let it go but would be interested in what you chose.

Thanks!!

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
What brand/type of hood locks did you get? I looked at several but there was not a clear consensus on how well they worked. I kind of let it go but would be interested in what you chose.

Thanks!!
I bought the Rampage hood locks. Easy to install, effective and look good.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Joining the fracas a mere 4--6wk before I intend to put my 94 Renegade YJ up for sale. They took two forest passes and maybe my lug lock. I'm going to go check my Tuffy security boxes later to see if I correctly remember removing the lug lock from the center console.

This will be the fourth break-in since I've owned it in 2005: 2012, 2014, 2019, 2020. Locking gas cap added at purchase, security boxes went in 2014, and 2019 saw a security cable added to the rear gate, and high test chain and a Master lock woven through the steering wheel and drivers seat bracket.

I hope that lug luck is in the security boxes. I really don't want them stealing my nice not oversized tires before my 2021 arrives. Such inconvenience. I guess I'll preorder the gas cover/cap and hood locks because I don't even want one day of opportunity. :crying:

Remember that paperwork in the center console may not be safe, locked or otherwise. I don't have the reference handy, but people were working in pairs from the trailhead, where they'd break in and get your address from your paperwork, to an in-city contact via phone call who could break in since they knew you weren't home.

Nothing has been attempted in the hood area, surprisingly, but this is still such a pain.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Yeah your in a tough spot, not worth putting a security system on it if you are getting a new 2021. I just bought mine and it has so much security on it, I feel like a criminal driving it. But its nice when an alarm goes off my phone alerts me and I have GPS and all that stuff. The Fob works from 2 miles away and the phone works from anywhere in the world where there is phone service....

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm in a pretty good place, so i'm not worried. i did put on a locking gas cap as a piece of mind security. using the wheel lock that came with the jeep. i run a hard top and either keep everything out of sight or not hanging around in the jeep. was thinking of the hood lock, but not going to bother because theres nothing to steal.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Hitch and shackle locks.
These are spendy but function well.
If you order them at the same time they can key them alike, if you order at different times good luck with getting matching keys. I asked them via email but they stilled keyed my second order wrong.

https://infiniterule.com/collections/hitch-locks

1586456243307_b6a68a5b-5ced-4774-89c3-3d6a59c9fc8e_720x.jpg

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I put the hood locks on as well. Even though there is an Alarm on the hood. If its a pain in the ass they wont spend much time on it. You know my wheel locks stick out further than I like, you could clamp on with a Vice grip and probably get it off, but again by then the alarm would have gone off and have to contend with the owner..
Sponsored