Sponsored

Strange Steering Failure of my Jeep Today

jabber20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara - Mojito!
We sincerely regret to hear about the troubles you've experienced with your JL's. Please feel free to reach out to us via PM if additional assistance is needed throughout your service visits.
Alex
JeepCares
A lot of us JL owners are having this problem and Jeep can’t seem to figure out a real fix. They either can’t duplicate the issue and send you away or try random things and you may get lucky. There are several other posts out here concerning this. One person had really good advice about reporting the problem on the NHTSA site so it gets more attention. I did myself. This is a serious problem and they aren’t taking it seriously yet.
Sponsored

jptamu1958

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
About 1 hrs ago. I was driving normally at about 35mph. Went around a slight curve and for about the 4 seconds the power steering seem to drop out/go dead. Forced me to hit the breaks or run off the road because the road was curving and the vehicle was locked in a straight line and I was going a bit to fast to make the adjustment with manual steering. Seconds later it came back and all seemed normal. Scared the hell out of me though. 10K on the Jeep thus far. Anyone else have this issue?
About 1 hrs ago. I was driving normally at about 35mph. Went around a slight curve and for about the 4 seconds the power steering seem to drop out/go dead. Forced me to hit the breaks or run off the road because the road was curving and the vehicle was locked in a straight line and I was going a bit to fast to make the adjustment with manual steering. Seconds later it came back and all seemed normal. Scared the hell out of me though. 10K on the Jeep thus far. Anyone else have this issue?
jptamu1958 said:
I took mine Jeep into the dealer for this fix, my Jeep would lock momentarily for about 1/2 second and then it would go back to functioning normally. They had my for 25 days with very communication on their part, Hanlees dodge in Davis, CA. So after 25 days they finally called me and said they fixed it, the cleaned up a grounding strap see photos attached. They said they had a Pacifica with the same problem and another Jeep. This problem was irrespective to temperature but near Sacramento it really does not get too cold. So this fixed it as I have been driving and so far so good. They said it ships with a little bit of plastic wrap near the ground and it interfered with the electric power steering as it is sensitive. So I hope this helps anyone, see photo for details on the bulletin they showed me. Here is the thread I posted this in, hope this helps
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...going-around-a-curve.39526/page-6#post-969065

266548.jpg

266549.jpg

jptamu1958

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can you explain where this bolt is or have a picture, I would like to check mine now for good measure. I believe the 48v is under the fuse box if not mistaken? Is that where the grounding bolt is?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...going-around-a-curve.39526/page-6#post-969065
jptamu1958 said:
I took mine Jeep into the dealer for this fix, my Jeep would lock momentarily for about 1/2 second and then it would go back to functioning normally. They had my for 25 days with very communication on their part, Hanlees dodge in Davis, CA. So after 25 days they finally called me and said they fixed it, the cleaned up a grounding strap see photos attached. They said they had a Pacifica with the same problem and another Jeep. This problem was irrespective to temperature but near Sacramento it really does not get too cold. So this fixed it as I have been driving and so far so good. They said it ships with a little bit of plastic wrap near the ground and it interfered with the electric power steering as it is sensitive. So I hope this helps anyone, see photo for details on the bulletin they showed me.

266548.jpg

266549.jpg

JLo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2022 JTD
This has happened to me more than a handful of times. The first time I was on the highway when I almost went straight into the median toward oncoming traffic. So far they have tightened the ground bolt as other users mentioned, replaced the steering damper again (it was replaced for the recall before steering failure incident), rotated my tires, and finally did a software update. I was still experiencing the issue in colder temperatures after the bolt was tightened and steer damper replaced. Once a rotated the tires and had software updated it seemed to be fixed. This was a few months ago and I’m now starting to feel the steering failure again when it is really cold but it is subtle and hasn’t happened on the highway. If you haven’t gotten the software update related to the steering, I would definitely suggest that!

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Cannot explain it but 36,816 miles in and I have yet to experience any of the steering issues described on the forum.
So we at least have one vote for the JLUR not being to dangerous to drive, or some even believing it to be a death trap!
I can personally say the theory that every new Jeep Wrangler out, ( because all are junk) needs to be thrown out because of a relatively small amount of issues whatever those issues may be is a ridiculous approach. Mine has now been stock, over built, extreme off road, cross country driving and typical city driving. The only danger I've experienced has been the relentlessly STUPID Prius's on the road!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A steering issue is not a minor issue. Just because it hasn’t happened to someone it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or it should be ignored.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Cannot explain it but 36,816 miles in and I have yet to experience any of the steering issues described on the forum.
So we at least have one vote for the JLUR not being to dangerous to drive, or some even believing it to be a death trap!
I can personally say the theory that every new Jeep Wrangler out, ( because all are junk) needs to be thrown out because of a relatively small amount of issues whatever those issues may be is a ridiculous approach. Mine has now been stock, over built, extreme off road, cross country driving and typical city driving. The only danger I've experienced has been the relentlessly STUPID Prius's on the road!
Yeah, but this seems to be common on the latter JL builds. If your JL was manufactured any time in 2017, you're most likely not going to run into these issues. I don't know what happened at the factory, but after the first initial production of JLs, things somehow got sloppy in 2018 and onwards. I have a super early '18 and other than a busted rear seat latch, I haven't had a single issue with my JL either and have only gone in for recalls to merely get Jeep and my dealership to stop bugging me about them.

Folks who have purchased JLs built in 2018 and on are unfortunately experiencing some major reduction in QC and this is yet another example of that.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
If that
A steering issue is not a minor issue. Just because it hasn’t happened to someone it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or it should be ignored.
If this was in response to my comment, ( which I do not know?) I would only say it cannot be said that the Jeep Wrangler simply can't be labeled an unsafe vehicle because of a small amount of issues.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If that

If this was in response to my comment, ( which I do not know?) I would only say it cannot be said that the Jeep Wrangler simply can't be labeled an unsafe vehicle because of a small amount of issues.
Not yet. But if FCA keeps kicking this can down the road, as it has for two years, it is only a matter of time until NHTSA, IIHS, the EU, private lawyers, or someone else gets a good hold on what is going on. At that point all bets are off.

PS - NHTSA already opened an official investigation on JL’s steering issues last September. I haven’t seen a final report yet. Chances are they are still looking into it.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Yeah, but this seems to be common on the latter JL builds. If your JL was manufactured any time in 2017, you're most likely not going to run into these issues. I don't know what happened at the factory, but after the first initial production of JLs, things somehow got sloppy in 2018 and onwards. I have a super early '18 and other than a busted rear seat latch, I haven't had a single issue with my JL either and have only gone in for recalls to merely get Jeep and my dealership to stop bugging me about them.

Folks who have purchased JLs built in 2018 and on are unfortunately experiencing some major reduction in QC and this is yet another example of that.
Mine was built in April '18 after ordering on my birthday March 20 '18. Not sure about that theory at least as far as my experience. I wonder if there was any difference in ordered Jeeps vs Jeeps built for stock? I know that sounds stupid. Wondering out loud

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My JL was built in July 2018 and sat on the dealer lot for 15 months.

Overall, the steering on my Jeep is fine, especially compared to other JLs I test drove —including 2019s and 2020s.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Not yet. But if FCA keeps kicking this can down the road, as it has for two years, it is only a matter of time until NHTSA, IIHS, the EU, private lawyers, or someone else gets a good hold on what is really going on. At that point all bets are off.

PS - NHTSA already opened an official investigation on JL’s steering issues last September. I haven’t seen a final report yet. Chances are they are still looking into it.
FCA, NHTSA, Whoever! I'm just staying that the Jeep Jlu I own doesn't fall into that category. In all actuality, ( when you look at numbers of jeeps with reported issues vs Jeep's with no reported issues) a very small percentage in the whole scheme even seem to be effected.
My issue is when all of Jeep, all of FCA and all with no issues are the enemy!

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
FCA, NHTSA, Whoever! I'm just staying that the Jeep Jlu I own doesn't fall into that category. In all actuality, ( when you look at numbers of jeeps with reported issues vs Jeep's with no reported issues) a very small percentage in the whole scheme even seem to be effected.
My issue is when all of Jeep, all of FCA and all with no issues are the enemy!
I’ve not heard that those without issues are the enemy. Now there are some who have dismissed those with problems as, essentially, hypochondriacs and that they likely do not have an issue all without driving that persons Jeep.

Thankfully, it seems the people with bad problems are the minority but when you are the person it’s happening to and probably making payments on it... it’s a big f’n deal to you. At first they go and try to get it fixed. If it’s not fixed after repeated trips to the dealer and it’s a primary vehicle that the have to drive and it still keeps scaring the shit out of them, I imagine they might get on here and be negative to vent. I’m not advocating it obviously but I can see it happening. I don’t know that I’d go on about it for months on end in a forum but I understand and hope they get resolution.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve not heard that those without issues are the enemy. Now there are some who have dismissed those with problems as, essentially, hypochondriacs and that they likely do not have an issue all without driving that persons Jeep.

Thankfully, it seems the people with bad problems are the minority but when you are the person it’s happening to and probably making payments on it... it’s a big f’n deal to you. At first they go and try to get it fixed. If it’s not fixed after repeated trips to the dealer and it’s a primary vehicle that the have to drive and it still keeps scaring the shit out of them, I imagine they might get on here and be negative to vent. I’m not advocating it obviously but I can see it happening. I don’t know that I’d go on about it for months on end in a forum but I understand and hope they get resolution.
That’s just it. It is “no big deal”... until it happens to oneself.

I suspect that most Jeep owners with issues eventually move on. However, once a thread is created it will linger on cyberspace for months, even after the OP moved on.

But this is a fact of life in today's connected world. If FCA —or Ford, or whomever— doesn’t want these negative threads sitting online forever, then it should take customers’ concerns seriously and move promptly to resolve them.

Cat1007

First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
What year and model Jeep was this?
Sponsored