Sponsored

Hummer1

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
About 1 hrs ago. I was driving normally at about 35mph. Went around a slight curve and for about the 4 seconds the power steering seem to drop out/go dead. Forced me to hit the breaks or run off the road because the road was curving and the vehicle was locked in a straight line and I was going a bit to fast to make the adjustment with manual steering. Seconds later it came back and all seemed normal. Scared the hell out of me though. 10K on the Jeep thus far. Anyone else have this issue?
This happened to me a few days ago in my new gladiator, with 726 miles on it and I haven't driven it since. The dealership hasn't been that helpful. I have seen a couple of other threads with similar issues.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This happened to me a few days ago in my new gladiator, with 726 miles on it and I haven't driven it since. The dealership hasn't been that helpful. I have seen a couple of other threads with similar issues.
I'd take the death wobble over this any day.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Have you pushed in all the fuses?
+1 for this - take 90 seconds to properly seat you fuses before chasing down weird gremlins. I'm not saying this will fix all your problems, but I wouldn't start troubleshooting anything unless this has been done. Both my '19 JL and my '20 Pacifica (identical fuse block) needed every fuse and relay pushed in.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
+1 for this - take 90 seconds to properly seat you fuses before chasing down weird gremlins. I'm not saying this will fix all your problems, but I wouldn't start troubleshooting anything unless this has been done. Both my '19 JL and my '20 Pacifica (identical fuse block) needed every fuse and relay pushed in.
I'll try this.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Even if it turns out to be just a loose wire or fuse, the fact that we can lose all steering assist so unexpectedly is pretty crummy.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Back in 18 when we early adopters started having this happen, I had read about it on here. The first time it did it, it was just a split second, and I actually couldnā€™t tell if it locked up, or if because I had been reading about it I just thought it did.
The second time I was taking it in for an oil change and it almost wouldnā€™t let me take the exit off the interstate. That removed all doubts. I pulled the then applicable TSB from the forum here, and the flash fixed it.
Definitely an odd feeling.... go to change lanes and steering wheel wonā€™t turn, then it suddenly releases and you change lanes really quickly and overshoot.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Even if it turns out to be just a loose wire or fuse, the fact that we can lose all steering assist so unexpectedly is pretty crummy.
"Crummy " doesnt begin to describe how frightening and dangerous this is. I am shocked that Hummer1's dealer wasnt responsive !. WTF is goin on here ?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
About 1 hrs ago. I was driving normally at about 35mph. Went around a slight curve and for about the 4 seconds the power steering seem to drop out/go dead. Forced me to hit the breaks or run off the road because the road was curving and the vehicle was locked in a straight line and I was going a bit to fast to make the adjustment with manual steering. Seconds later it came back and all seemed normal. Scared the hell out of me though. 10K on the Jeep thus far. Anyone else have this issue?
I have had some phantom steering-feel issues going through a roundabout or other left turn. It only happens within the first 5 miles of warmup when the outside temps are very low and the steering wheel heater is ON. Feels almost like the steering wheel has a dead spot where the power steering momentarily drops off.
We sincerely regret to hear about the troubles you've experienced with your JL's. Please feel free to reach out to us via PM if additional assistance is needed throughout your service visits.
Alex
JeepCares

Hummer1

First Name
Phyllis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
"Crummy " doesnt begin to describe how frightening and dangerous this is. I am shocked that Hummer1's dealer wasnt responsive !. WTF is goin on here ?
Another dealership ran some tests on my gladiator and based on some code, found ground wires loose? I drove it to work today and it didn't do that, just hope it doesn't do it on my way home.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Chrysler's assembly plant QC process apparently doesn't involve checking that the fuses are seated in the fuse box. Either that, or the fuse boxes are badly designed and allow the fuses to fall out too easily. Dude people have been complaining about this kinda thing since 2006 when we got our first Chrysler 300! I remember people warning newbies to check their fuse boxes.

It's kinda sad that 15 years later that's still an issue!

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
There's a post on the technical thread's about a loose bolt on the 48v battery that grounds the power steering. Loose connection.

Get under your JL and check that bolt. Tightening it simply will fix it.
Can you explain where this bolt is or have a picture, I would like to check mine now for good measure. I believe the 48v is under the fuse box if not mistaken? Is that where the grounding bolt is?

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara