Sponsored

Strange grabbing/grinding when you’re braking normally coming to a stop at about the 2/3 mph range?

4xeEsq

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
  • Banned
4xe sahara about 1k miles. I’ve felt it intermittently since the first drive. There’s something happening when coming to a full stop around 2-/3/4 mph - probably a bad description but it feels somewhat like a manual transmission car would feel if you downshifted into first gear at around 5/10 mph. It almost seems like the brakes or something disengage and engage in a split second.

Planning on making time to drop by a dealer but has anyone else experienced this?

Pic just bc

C11C2641-32EA-4B75-B5FE-DA38301A510C.png
Sponsored

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
Yeah I know what you mean. It happens more frequently if you turn on the Max Regen.
I think ecu gets confused a little bit when regen, electric motor, and brake is working together to bring the car to complete stop especially during stop and go situation.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Sometimes bedding in the brake pads helps. Sounds like your friction brakes are a little grabby and the vehicle is having trouble blending the friction brakes for those last few feet. Most of your braking is accomplished from the electric motor and the last few feet are done with the friction brakes. Because of this, new EVs should have their brakes bedded in for a smoother driving experience. Or, the pads will wear in over time and the symptoms should minimize or dissappear completely.

OP
OP

4xeEsq

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
  • Banned
Sometimes bedding in the brake pads helps. Sounds like your friction brakes are a little grabby and the vehicle is having trouble blending the friction brakes for those last few feet. Most of your braking is accomplished from the electric motor and the last few feet are done with the friction brakes. Because of this, new EVs should have their brakes bedded in for a smoother driving experience. Or, the pads will wear in over time and the symptoms should minimize or dissappear completely.

Bedding brakes is simple enough so I may give this a try tomorrow but my understanding was that generally only aftermarket higher performance brakes needed bedding, no?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've either gotten used to it or it's the bedding. I remember braking felt overly sensitive when I fist got mine.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Bedding brakes is simple enough so I may give this a try tomorrow but my understanding was that generally only aftermarket higher performance brakes needed bedding, no?
Yes usually. However, these brakes hardly ever get warm so they don't wear in like a normal vehicle. When it is humid out then the slight surface oxidation doesn't scrub off as cleanly as a normal vehicle. Usually goes away after some break in but can come and go with changes in humidity.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
4xe sahara about 1k miles. I’ve felt it intermittently since the first drive. There’s something happening when coming to a full stop around 2-/3/4 mph - probably a bad description but it feels somewhat like a manual transmission car would feel if you downshifted into first gear at around 5/10 mph. It almost seems like the brakes or something disengage and engage in a split second.

Planning on making time to drop by a dealer but has anyone else experienced this?
Great description "it feels somewhat like a manual transmission car would feel if you downshifted into first gear at around 5/10 mph" - I have EXACTLY the same thing happening with mine and have also felt it from the first drive. I keep asking anybody who rides with me - Did you feel that? Did you hear that? It's a bit annoying and I could live with it, but only if it is a function of how our hybrids work rather than this is just happening in some of our 4xe Jeeps and we need to get it addressed at the dealership. Can we have some more people chiming in here? Do you feel the same thing on your Jeep? Or do you not? Either way please comment here.

@4xeEsq if you go to the dealer please leave an update here for the rest of us.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yes I feel that too. Just thought I was braking wrong but glad to hear it's a common issue.

Since I never drove on the stock tires (immediately upgraded the tires at purchase) I just assumed it was an issue with bigger tires.

OP
OP

4xeEsq

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
  • Banned
Here’s the update:

The service at my local dealer is a joke. I should probably make this short but I’ll lay out enough of it to air out some of my frustration.

As to the notchy feeling felt and heard when braking, the dealer claimed “it’s normal since my Jeep has an “electric transmission” and further claimed they took out a gladiator that had the same electric transmission out to compare and found it to do the same thing - I call bs.

As to the remaining issues I reported to the dealer (2, or arguably 3, of which are significantly dangerous issues I’ve experienced), the dealer claimed they were unable to replicate the issues.

The dealer claimed they took it for a test drive (spoiler: they didn’t) in an attempt to replicate the reported issues, were unable to do so, then updated the software with the recent updates, then took the car for another test drive, but were again unsuccessful in replicating them.

I’ve come to learn that many dealers have a tendency to claim they can’t replicate a problem, but this being my first dealing with service at Jeep/Stellantis, I held out hope I would leave satisfied.

I dropped the car off with 2002 miles on the clock and picked it with 2002 miles on the clock after all the alleged test drives. I tracked the car with the Jeep app during its stay at the dealer (6 days total; this is after scheduling the appt 3 weeks prior to dropping off) and found it appeared to have been driven a total of 0.9 miles. I pulled my dash cam video off and confirmed that the car was not taken for a test drive and was instead driven behind the gates, parked for 5/6 days, had the software updated and given back to me. [Initially the service representative claimed they didn’t test drive the car on the freeway and only drove it around on the streets, although he remembered that I had told him that one of the issues I was experiencing happened after the car went from highway speeds to street speeds, then later looked at me as if I was speaking a different language when I stated I would need to be a fool to believe the car was taken for any test drive, let alone 2 test drives with less than a mile being put on the clock.]

I crossed my fingers with my first Jeep and hoped Stellantis would follow through with their marketing of setting their ship straight, but if they can’t get their dealers/representatives to stop scamming their customers, this ship will inevitably sink.

This seems eerily similar to the lawsuit(s) against insurance companies with internal memos/policies where they would deny all claims upfront.

Anyone else have any updates on this front?

Does Jeep Cares really care?

Help?

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Here’s the update:

The service at my local dealer is a joke. I should probably make this short but I’ll lay out enough of it to air out some of my frustration.

As to the notchy feeling felt and heard when braking, the dealer claimed “it’s normal since my Jeep has an “electric transmission” and further claimed they took out a gladiator that had the same electric transmission out to compare and found it to do the same thing - I call bs.

As to the remaining issues I reported to the dealer (2, or arguably 3, of which are significantly dangerous issues I’ve experienced), the dealer claimed they were unable to replicate the issues.

The dealer claimed they took it for a test drive (spoiler: they didn’t) in an attempt to replicate the reported issues, were unable to do so, then updated the software with the recent updates, then took the car for another test drive, but were again unsuccessful in replicating them.

I’ve come to learn that many dealers have a tendency to claim they can’t replicate a problem, but this being my first dealing with service at Jeep/Stellantis, I held out hope I would leave satisfied.

I dropped the car off with 2002 miles on the clock and picked it with 2002 miles on the clock after all the alleged test drives. I tracked the car with the Jeep app during its stay at the dealer (6 days total; this is after scheduling the appt 3 weeks prior to dropping off) and found it appeared to have been driven a total of 0.9 miles. I pulled my dash cam video off and confirmed that the car was not taken for a test drive and was instead driven behind the gates, parked for 5/6 days, had the software updated and given back to me. [Initially the service representative claimed they didn’t test drive the car on the freeway and only drove it around on the streets, although he remembered that I had told him that one of the issues I was experiencing happened after the car went from highway speeds to street speeds, then later looked at me as if I was speaking a different language when I stated I would need to be a fool to believe the car was taken for any test drive, let alone 2 test drives with less than a mile being put on the clock.]

I crossed my fingers with my first Jeep and hoped Stellantis would follow through with their marketing of setting their ship straight, but if they can’t get their dealers/representatives to stop scamming their customers, this ship will inevitably sink.

This seems eerily similar to the lawsuit(s) against insurance companies with internal memos/policies where they would deny all claims upfront.

Anyone else have any updates on this front?

Does Jeep Cares really care?

Help?
I brought mine in at 4955 miles and it was returned with 4959 miles. They performed the oil change, hybrid battery gasket inspection, all the RRT'S, and "lubed & retorqued the axle nuts" because of my clicking ball joints. Yah, they still click; I need to get some cotter pins to do it myself.

They certainly drove mine, even a couple miles farther than stated on the paperwork. I'm fine with that, but the total time required for these repairs was 3 work days. They have only 2 tech's trained to work on the 4xe's, so I understand there might be delays in initial scheduling, but those delays caused by work load should have been accounted for when I made the initial appointment. That's a minor gripe, and I have the flexibility to let them take as much time as needed. I don't want any tech to get sloppy or rushed while working on my Jeep.

They performed the oil change & ball joint (axle) work on the second day, but waited until day 3 for the sw installations (RRT'S) & recall to be performed. The last day is when UConnect sent me messages about charging. They left me with 80% charge while I dropped it off with 5%.

I'm neither terribly disappointed nor pleased with the level of service I received. They could certainly improve communication, but I think that's true for most service departments.

I've not had problems with the breaking, but I can feel the change from regen to friction, usually combined with a slight lurch as it transitions from one system to the other.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Dealerships and service departments are hit or miss. I took mine in for the ball joints and asked them specifically to check that as I was sure that was the issue. Instead, they drove it, confirmed the noise and deduced that the hubs needed to be replaced but "there are no hubs to order for the 4xe yet". They had it for 2 full days.

I took it to another dealer with the same issue/request. The RRT's had just come out (I didn't know about them yet), and they showed up when they did the precheck at drop off. By the end of the day, my ball joints were tightened, clicking noise was gone and all 5 RRT's performed.

By the way, those charging messages should have been all generated by the RRT's. I got several as well.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
As for the rough breaking at slow speeds, you have the dual braking systems switching over between the regenerative brakes and the physical brakes. I think there's also some interaction with the electric motor disengaging. It's definitely not "smooth" but I didn't think it was excessive either. Maybe you can find another 4xe owner nearby for comparison?

OP
OP

4xeEsq

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Good idea, I’ll see if I can find another 4xe in the area.

I’m still furious that they kept the car for 6 days, lied about test driving the car when most of my issues are driving related, and made false reports that they were unable to replicate when they clearly didn’t even try.

Should I contact Jeep directly and see what they do about it?

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my "Strange grabbing/grinding when you’re braking normally coming to a stop at about the 2/3 mph range"

I feel for the few frustrated 4xe owners. It seems though, the majority is just thrilled with their purchase and the capabilities of the 4xe. (BTW - every manufacturer has a few unsatisfied customers, that's how it goes. I still feel bad for them.) Anyway...

As mentioned previously in this thread, I also had this awkward shudder/grinding when downshifting at the end of slowing down and coming to a complete stop. I took the Jeep in yesterday and they performed the following software upgrades:

RRT 21-122 Transmission Control Module
RRT 21-123 Battery Pack Control Module
RRT 21-124 Powertrain Control Module
RRT 21-126 Power Inverter Reprogram
RRT 21-127 Integrated Dual Charging Module

To be clear, I did not tell them I had a shifting issue, I just wanted the software updates to see if they made a difference. If they didn't, I would have gone back to let them know about this shifting problem. I have noticed two changes from the software updates; the Max Reg button now stays on, even if I turn off the Jeep and turn it back on again (YAY) and the downshifting is much smoother. I'd say the problem has been fixed through the simple software upgrades.

I called for an appointment, got one within a week, they did what I asked, were pleasant (so was I) and I left feeling good about my experience.

Nice job @JeepCares @JeepCanada
Sponsored