Sponsored

Jeeps2Little

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S 2.0T
I realize this likely happened weeks ago now at this point but I only live about 20 min away from the dealer where your Jeep was towed. If you need any assistance with your personal stuff that was still in the Jeep just PM me.

Bummed that an awesome trip to the Dollhouse turned out like that for you and the Jeep.

Chris
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
that's generally the idea.
assuming the thing works,...

sadly, we don't find out until it's *not* working until we're already "out there".

[snip]
My Inreach Mini has worked well for me. When I'm away I have it set to send tracking points every 30 minutes. My wife will sit home and follow where I'm at on the map. She figures if I stay in one spot for a couple of hours then there might be a problem. Each night I send a free "all OK" message then I turn the thing off.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, my Jeep was the subject of Matt's latest video. You can learn the details of my reoccurring starter issues here on this thread.

Matt's video:

This was a once-in-a-lifetime trip with my father that turned into a worst-case-scenario event in one of the most remote places in the lower 48.

I had initiated a buyback process after this trip that went more poorly than my actual Jeep excursion. It was 10 days before my first call back which I was told would happen in 2-3 days. Then another 10-days before my next call back. I called, called, called, called, sent certified mail, emailed, emailed, and even contracted @JeepCares here. Not to get a resolution, but to just get ANYONE to talk to me to begin the case process. They wore me down and I was so defeated I sold this jeep back to the dealership at a huge loss just to be able to go on with my life. I extrapolated out the pain of the buyback process based on what I had experienced so far and I knew that I just could not absorb that into my already stressful life. I could tell that the process was designed to just wear me down.

In case you're wondering Jeep (Chrysler customer service) did not care one bit that my Jeep would be featured on MORR. I thought that they might take me a bit more serious due to the pending publicity but no, they simply did not care. I begged to be connected to corporate communications, social media team, PR, or anyone else except the very junior folks who would not return my calls. They didn't care that my jeep was literally catching on fire repeatedly and that I would soon have a platform to tell my story after the video vent live.

I was a life-long Jeep fanboy until this experience and owned 3 Jeeps at the time of this video. My goal is to get that number to 0 very soon. I'm way less upset about the repeated mechanical failures than I am with the customer care. I was stranded twice, if you catch my drift. I'm still pleading with Jeep to help me recoup the remaining out-of-pocket money for the tow but the odds are slim now that I have lost my buyback leverage. I won't be discussing those amounts publicly. I was really looking forward to a 3.0 Gladiator someday but I just can't drop that much coin with Jeep again until the trauma from this one wears off.

Here is a Second Video of the recovery that is actually better than Matt's Version.

Dang I watched this one this morning drinking coffee on my phone. They drove like 47 miles one way. That was a bummer. :(

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
This was under factory warranty? You should have called Jeep roadside assistance and let Jeep sort it the f@#$ out!

"
Jeep Roadside Assistance
You're Covered 24 Hours A Day Any Where In The Country!
Your Jeep Factory Warranty also gives you Roadside Assistance. As long as your Jeep is covered under the warranty. This coverage includes Towing Assistance, Jump-Starts, Flat Tire Assistance, Lockout Assistance and Fuel Delivery Services for all Jeep vehicles. If you have purchased a Mopar Extended Warranty for your Jeep your roadside assistance will generally cover you for the term of your Jeep extended warranty.
Jeep Roadside Assistance Phone Number
For Inside The United States Call: 1-800-521-2779"

Last edited:
OP
OP
ratherbskiing

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
This was under factory warranty? You should have called Jeep roadside assistance and let Jeep sort it the f@#$ out!

"
Jeep Roadside Assistance
You're Covered 24 Hours A Day Any Where In The Country!
Your Jeep Factory Warranty also gives you Roadside Assistance. As long as your Jeep is covered under the warranty. This coverage includes Towing Assistance, Jump-Starts, Flat Tire Assistance, Lockout Assistance and Fuel Delivery Services for all Jeep vehicles. If you have purchased a Mopar Extended Warranty for your Jeep your roadside assistance will generally cover you for the term of your Jeep extended warranty.
Jeep Roadside Assistance Phone Number
For Inside The United States Call: 1-800-521-2779"
yup, that is exactly what I did. As you can imagine, there are limits to this service and what they will pay.

Sponsored

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
yup, that is exactly what I did. As you can imagine, there are limits to this service and what they will pay.
I hate that feeling, the feeling where you feel you can rely on a road side service, your dealer, or car company in a shit situation. Then quickly find “limitations” and/or realize nobody has your back.
I know they’re a business, but man it sucks to be left stranded figuratively and literally.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
That sucks. As a Canadian with zero Lemon Law protection, situations like this with a new vehicle scare the shit out of me every time I buy. I can understand you not wanting to slug it out with them though. There comes a point in everyone's life where shit just isn't worth the hassle, notwithstanding the costs. That point comes quicker and quicker with age I find. Lol.

I'm curious as to why you won't post cost of recovery though. Did you have to sign a NDA with MORR?
I read an article a few years back that car warranty in Canada is more of a courtesy, than a real warranty.

It had to do with a police that owned a vehicle, and the manufacturer basically told him to take a hike.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I saw an explanation that they were trying to give their customers the service that AAA promotes. I thought AAA should have used it for publicity rather than trying to prosecute someone.
That's the problem. AAA promotes that they will come get your vehicle no matter where.
FALSE!
At least around here, AAA WILL NOT pick up or work on you vehicle if it is off pavement, as my wife found out. She got a flat tire on her Jeep less than a mile from town, on a good, graded, well-maintained gravel road. AAA refused to respond. I've read multiple other complaints about AAA's "fine print" which allows them to get away with not responding if the vehicle is not on a paved road.

Reactions: LCW

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
that's especially nuts considering that AAA gives out maps that show no less than 5 different levels of unpaved roads for Nevada...

That's the problem. AAA promotes that they will come get your vehicle no matter where.
FALSE!
At least around here, AAA WILL NOT pick up or work on you vehicle if it is off pavement, as my wife found out. She got a flat tire on her Jeep less than a mile from town, on a good, graded, well-maintained gravel road. AAA refused to respond. I've read multiple other complaints about AAA's "fine print" which allows them to get away with not responding if the vehicle is not on a paved road.

Reactions: LCW

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
that's generally the idea.
assuming the thing works,...

sadly, we don't find out until it's *not* working until we're already "out there".
That’s why I send a test message at the beginning of an outing, to confirm the hardware and systems are all green.

That said, it is a radio. Atmospheric conditions, radio interference, and physical obstructions like canyons and trees all play a part.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
of course; i wouldn't bother taking any rescue equipment that hadn't tested out well before leaving.
doesn't help if it fails to work after that.

having been a Federally licensed Radio operator for decades and having worked in the industry of designing and manufacturing asset trackers, i'm a little familiar with how radios at these frequencies work.
but when you've got a clear horizon for 360Âş and no overhead obstructions and it's it's not getting a GPS fix, something's wrong.

point is, nothing works all the time; don't bet your life 100% on anything. having a backup to your backup isn't a bad idea.

That’s why I send a test message at the beginning of an outing, to confirm the hardware and systems are all green.

That said, it is a radio. Atmospheric conditions, radio interference, and physical obstructions like canyons and trees all play a part.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
…..Jeep roadside…
"
Jeep Roadside…
….Roadside Assistance…….

…..roadside assistance will generally cover you….

Jeep Roadside Assistance …

I’m not defending Jeep roadside assistance in any way. I just cut out all the other words in your post above and left the words “Roadside”. Nowhere does the policy mention anything about assistance while on a trail. He was not on a road, you can’t expect to get free coverage from Jeep for a breakdown on a trail.

Even if your 200ft away from the roadway and call a tow truck. Expect an additional $200 added on to the tow price because your ride was off the road.

Every Sunday people driving back to California from Las Vegas try to take the desert between Jean Nevada and Primm Nevada on a dirt road that is 200ft next to and parallel to IH-15. They try to bypass the bumper to bumper traffic on IH-15.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
of course; i wouldn't bother taking any rescue equipment that hadn't tested out well before leaving.
doesn't help if it fails to work after that.

having been a Federally licensed Radio operator for decades and having worked in the industry of designing and manufacturing asset trackers, i'm a little familiar with how radios at these frequencies work.
but when you've got a clear horizon for 360Âş and no overhead obstructions and it's it's not getting a GPS fix, something's wrong.

point is, nothing works all the time; don't bet your life 100% on anything. having a backup to your backup isn't a bad idea.
I agree. I have been in the desert with clear view to the horizon in all directions and experienced GPS and satcom issues. And on the ocean for that matter. Radio is never 100%.

My plan C is I always travel equipped for a night or two in case I have to camp until the family gets worried and sends the cavalry.

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Everyone is guessing about the price of the recovery. Helps to remember these guys are likely going to pay a huge fine (or jail time) for insurance fraud. They can’t have anyone talking about cost right now at all. I’m not trying to start a debate on what they did or didn’t do, the stuff we know about will lead some stuff penalties.
Why the insurance fraud? I have read through this thread twice and watched the video. What is fraudulent?
Sponsored