Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I read and responded to this post with my smartphone. Did not even realize the 0P has a 2.0 or my response would have been different.

Subsequent posts by 0P indicate the vehicle gets used little. With that said it would benefit the JL to be kept 24/7 on a battery tender/ maintainer.
Not sure where the 2.0 came from but I have the 3.6. Thanks
Sponsored

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
I have the Stinger Heigh10 with the Jeep Integration kit, and one of the great features of that radio is that I can turn off ESS, and the radio has a memory setting that remembers the last setting of the ESS of being on or off, so I just leave it off. Its nice not having to always remember to turn it off after I start the Jeep.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
This... I can't speak for others, but this old redneck learned long ago-- never shut the motor off 'til you get where you are going.

As a side note... I'd be curious of everyone who has experienced this type of failure, how many folks use it a lot vs. not at all.
Donā€™t use it at all.

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
"This system is obviously flawed and is a safety issue. I have a spare fuse array in my tool bag but will most likely be purchasing a spare auxiliary battery as well. I'm considering going with a dual battery setup but any feedback would be appreciated."

I would advise you file a compliant on the NHTSA web site. If enough folks who experience this issue report it, the Fed's will "eventually" take notice. At that point FCA will have to address it, although it still may not result in the desired (owner) outcome.
The 2.0L Turbo does not have the small battery under the big one, but it has a huge 45v one under the vehicle in the rear area.
Yeah the username made think about that too. I donā€™t recall there being a 2.0 anything with ESS in ā€˜19 here in the States. Maybe I missed something and itā€™s an earlier 3.6.
I read and responded to this post with my smartphone. Did not even realize the 0P has a 2.0 or my response would have been different.

Subsequent posts by 0P indicate the vehicle gets used little. With that said it would benefit the JL to be kept 24/7 on a battery tender/ maintainer.
The 2.0 reference in my user name was do to the fact that this is my second JLUR. The first one was totaled in an accident. Sorry for the confusion and maybe a bad choice in user name.
thanks,

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For the second time in 5 months my 2019 JLUR left us stuck in a busy intersection and needed to be towed. We were stopped in the left hand turn lane waiting for the light to turn and the ESS was engaged, engine stopped. As soon as I took my foot off the break the engine died and got a service power steering light and beeping warnings. I put it in park and tried restarting but nothing. Once in park I could not shift again and had to pull the release to move it. So we sat there for about 20 minutes waiting for AAA to tow it to the dealer, which was literally right across the street from we were. Not fun.

I just got off the phone with the dealer service rep and he said the auxiliary battery failed and blew the fuse array. This is the exact same thing that happened before: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/auxiliary-battery-blues.64960/

I asked the rep what continues to cause this and what can be done to prevent it from happening again, but not surprisingly he had no answer. Both times this has happened with were "lucky" to be close to home and not out 4-wheeling or camping in a remote area.

This system is obviously flawed and is a safety issue. I have a spare fuse array in my tool bag but will most likely be purchasing a spare auxiliary battery as well. I'm considering going with a dual battery setup but any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
First time ever today - got Electronic Start/Stops requires service in the dash display.

It happened while I was driving though... Weird?

I then parked, shut off and then it was fine after that. Still, called dealer (funny thing I could see my dealer down the street when this happened) - taking to dealer tomorrow to see if there's a code or something. I want this noted...
Hey, McGilli and RFR JLR 2.0.

If either of you need assistance while at the dealer, please let us know. We are in private message to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
"This system is obviously flawed and is a safety issue. I have a spare fuse array in my tool bag but will most likely be purchasing a spare auxiliary battery as well. I'm considering going with a dual battery setup but any feedback would be appreciated."

I would advise you file a compliant on the NHTSA web site. If enough folks who experience this issue report it, the Fed's will "eventually" take notice. At that point FCA will have to address it, although it still may not result in the desired (owner) outcome.
The NHTSA will not care about this. A stopped vehicle staying stopped is not a safety problem, you would have to stretch that so far that literally any mechanical failure whatsoever would be a recall.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
@RFR JLR 2.0 , the fuse that's blowing is 150A, the system should not be pulling over 150A from the aux battery unless the the main battery is not doing it's fair share. Have the main battery load tested and the main battery's cables checked.

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
As a last resort, the 3rd time is Lemon Law charm in California. This isnā€™t a minor flaw, itā€™s a safety issue and as you said, not something youā€™d want to happen on the trail.

We were stranded 3 times by a bad fuel pump in a BMW, 2 weeks later, after the 3rd time we had our money back minus mileage and moved on.

Use William McGee if you decide to do it.
We had a similar situation with my wife's Kia Optima that kept stalling. The dealer couldn't fix it and kept returning it to us. We got the BBB involved and Kia bought the vehicle back. However, I have too much time, effort, and money into this vehicle and that would be a last resort.
thanks,

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
The NHTSA will not care about this. A stopped vehicle staying stopped is not a safety problem, you would have to stretch that so far that literally any mechanical failure whatsoever would be a recall.
I agree that NHTSA may do nothing; however, I don't agree that this is not a safety issue. A vehicle that randomly and without warning stops running is not safe. Try parking in the middle of a busy intersection and see if you feel safe. Actually, don't. Just take my word for it. The fact that these vehicles are designed for off roading adds another level of safety concerns if stranded.
Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
@RFR JLR 2.0 , the fuse that's blowing is 150A, the system should not be pulling over 150A from the aux battery unless the the main battery is not doing it's fair share. Have the main battery load tested and the main battery's cables checked.
Will do and thanks. Also, I have a winch and ARB twin compressor connected to the main battery (the compressor was recently added following the first failure), and Baja Design lights connected to 3 of the 4 factory auxiliary switches. Could this be part of the issue?

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
As stated nothing wrong with using a jumper and disconnecting the ESS negative but donā€™t use ESS at all running this setup as it will seriously tax the main battery and if it manages to hold up after (6) ESS events the ESS will be disabled until you cycle the ignition due to the logic seeing this as a voltage error but again running with ESS engaged on one battery is a disaster waiting to happen.

Im not sure where the $1600-$2000 price given for a dual setup came from but thatā€™s not the cost of what Iā€™m running, the Genesis system came in way under that and I even chose to run the higher end Full River batteries but maybe that was another type of dual battery setup mentioned for that much.

Also keep in mind if you are going to run any type of aux equip like a fridge, onboard or portable air, aux lights etcā€¦ itā€™s not a bad idea to have the extra kick of two full size batteries that are identical and charge the same, yes they still have to be maintained like any other batteries so itā€™s not like they are magic beans that will never fail but you as a Jeeper have to decide what fits your needs which will ultimately help you make a decision on what power needs you need.
I am running a winch and ARB twin compressor connected to the main battery and front and rear Baja Design lights connected to the factory auxiliary switches.
Thanks,

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Will do and thanks. Also, I have a winch and ARB twin compressor connected to the main battery (the compressor was recently added following the first failure), and Baja Design lights connected to 3 of the 4 factory auxiliary switches. Could this be part of the issue?
Typically what blows the fuse is disconnecting the main battery cables and letting the positive cable short to ground. Because the aux battery is still connected to the main battery positive cable, grounding it blows the fuse. After that, the jeep will run until the aux battery is discharged, then it's dead because the main battery can no longer supply power to the system electronics.

If you did electrical work after the first failure that involved disconnecting the main battery, that's probably what happened.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stranded and Towed to Dealer AGAIN underhood N3 short.PNG

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I agree that NHTSA may do nothing; however, I don't agree that this is not a safety issue. A vehicle that randomly and without warning stops running is not safe. Try parking in the middle of a busy intersection and see if you feel safe. Actually, don't. Just take my word for it. The fact that these vehicles are designed for off roading adds another level of safety concerns if stranded.
Thanks
Stopping in an intersection is both stupid and illegal. Letā€™s not pretend that these failures are causing the vehicle to drop dead wherever it is at any speed.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am running a winch and ARB twin compressor connected to the main battery and front and rear Baja Design lights connected to the factory auxiliary switches.
Thanks,
I personally would not run all of that with a single stock battery.

I run a portable air compressor and just a small 12 volt cooler and some aux lights and they all come off the full size aux battery and my main is not affected unless I do something stupid like leave anything on that runs thru the PDC pull power while my Jeep is not running which I have done but if I have not pulled much power from the aux I just push the built in boost button that connects both batteries and thatā€™s been enough power to get me going but I also carry a jump pack but have not used it other than to test for operation.

These newer vehicles all seem to be power hungry and even when off have more parasitic draw than vehicles of yester-year so all we can do is be prepared as possible but to me FCA dropped the ball on the Jeep as they know that the typical person that buys this type of vehicle will not keep it stock most of the time and the items we typically add are all power hungry devices and that average sized main battery like what they put in it along with that motorcycle battery canā€™t keep up with.

Im sure there are those that have all sorts of stuff connected on the stock setup but I would rather have more than I need because if your out alone and hit that ignition and nothing happens because your batteries are dead is a bad spot to be in.
Sponsored