Sponsored

Storing neoprene seat covers for winter?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Bought Diver Down neoprene seat covers to protect my leather during a summer full of beach trips and pool-soaked kids and lake weekends. They worked awesome, but the season is basically over, and I'm ready to enjoy my leather again.

However, I want to make sure I clean and store the neoprene properly so they're ready for next summer.

So...how do you clean/store your neoprene?
Sponsored

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Bought Diver Down neoprene seat covers to protect my leather during a summer full of beach trips and pool-soaked kids and lake weekends. They worked awesome, but the season is basically over, and I'm ready to enjoy my leather again.

However, I want to make sure I clean and store the neoprene properly so they're ready for next summer.

So...how do you clean/store your neoprene?
Will be watching for the cleaning advice but I will be keeping mine on the whole year. Don't have any leather to enjoy, lol.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Will be watching for the cleaning advice but I will be keeping mine on the whole year. Don't have any leather to enjoy, lol.
Probably one of the best bang-for-my-buck purchases for the Jeep.

I'm actually debating keeping the passenger seat one on - it's *awesome* for the pup to ride with, and his fur vacuums off really easily. Trying to talk myself through how stupid it would look is all, lol.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Use a gentle detergent, like Dreft Stage 1, when washing the seat covers. Turn them inside out and use a front-load washer on the gentle cycle. Use a drying rack to air dry the covers, after which they may be carefully folded for seasonal storage. Be careful not to compress them, lest any creases take a set.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Use a gentle detergent, like Dreft Stage 1, when washing the seat covers. Turn them inside out and use a front-load washer on the gentle cycle. Use a drying rack to air dry the covers, after which they may be carefully folded for seasonal storage. Be careful not to compress them, lest any creases take a set.
What about a top-load washer but with no agitator?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What about a top-load washer but with no agitator?
Izzat the one that mimics a front-loader by recirculating a small quantity of water during the wash cycle? If so...maybe.

I was just about to edit my post to suggest the idea of handwashing the neoprene seat covers in lieu of using a machine. Otherwise, consider a front-loader at the local laundromat. I suck up that expense when washing my textile motorcycle riding apparel, and camping gear (e.g., sleeping bag), based on the proper care instructions provided by the manufacturers.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Izzat the one that mimics a front-loader by recirculating a small quantity of water during the wash cycle? If so...maybe.

I was just about to edit my post to suggest the idea of handwashing the neoprene seat covers in lieu of using a machine. Otherwise, consider a front-loader at the local laundromat. I suck up that expense when washing my motorcycle riding apparel and camping gear, based on the clear instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Ah, yeah I could google for a laundromat. To that point, I could probably also fill up a bathtub and hand wash them, right?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Ah, yeah I could google for a laundromat. To that point, I could probably also fill up a bathtub and hand wash them, right?
Sure. The only risk that comes to mind is potential dye bleed from the seat covers staining your tub.

Perhaps a pre-rinse, using clear warm water, to determine if the seat covers are color-fast (and they should be so). If so, proceed with your washing method as you choose. 👍

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Sure. The only risk that comes to mind is potential dye bleed from the seat covers staining your tub.

Perhaps a pre-rinse, using clear warm water, to determine if the seat covers are color-fast (and they should be so). If so, proceed with your washing method as you choose. 👍
Good shout. Maybe I start with the headrest covers in my laundry room sink first.

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I luv the look of my blue Diver Downs.

Sadly after only 3 months the black portion is quickly turning brown. I knew this was an issue with Neoprene, but still a bit disappointing.

Also, just as a note, I treated them with 303 before installation hoping to delay the fading.

Jeep Wrangler JL Storing neoprene seat covers for winter? 20220608_104314

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU, '17 Colorado, ''24 Explorer, '13 Mustang
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
Good shout. Maybe I start with the headrest covers in my laundry room sink first.
Being from DFW area, do those seat covers get hot/hold heat? I'm looking at getting them also but am a little concerned they'll make me sweat even more in the Tx. heat.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Being from DFW area, do those seat covers get hot/hold heat? I'm looking at getting them also but am a little concerned they'll make me sweat even more in the Tx. heat.
I loved them. They get hot, but not as hot/sticky as leather. My focus, though, was more to protect the leather vs avoid hot seats. I was, however, pleasantly surprised to find them comfortable.

The only way you'd completely avoid swamp ass in Texas summer is with AC blasting and cooled seats. I try to use the AC as little as possible and obviously don't have cooled seats.

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU, '17 Colorado, ''24 Explorer, '13 Mustang
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
Thanks for the info!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I luv the look of my blue Diver Downs.

Sadly after only 3 months the black portion is quickly turning brown. I knew this was an issue with Neoprene, but still a bit disappointing.
Given enough time, that brown may shift into a dirty gray. Prolonged exposure -- i.e., driving with the top lowered/removed -- may accelerate that process. Voice of experience.

Just something to keep in mind.
Sponsored