Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey David: @Dkretden

What you say above is (so) true; I couldn't have issues with that I also agree with.

That said, many crooks are looking for things of value they can sell to raise cash (sadly for drugs.)

True, so too does a crook sometimes say, "dang, I really want that "PDQ" dash mount system (for myself) in that guy's Wrangler," in which case you are specifically targeted.

And in the former case, presenting a greater security front than the owner in the parking lot "7 spaces away" may incentivize the thief to "shop elsewhere."
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
bottom line: if a thief wants something in your car, he will take it regardless of the type of vehicle or type of top and regardless of the alarm Noise.
Agreed. A soft top of any kind will attract more attention to thieves than a full hard top though. I think I’ll go with the roof rack, basket solution.

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Topic is good but exhausted. I am more interested in a roof case that is lockable which can be accessed from the cabin of the jeep without getting out. Thus, when it starts to rain or snow simply reach up release and slide forward. Minimizing the time and effort to reinstall a hard top freedom panel system. Of course in 2020 Jeep cam out with the automatic sky roof. Good, but not a hard top when you really need it. I'd much prefer an innovative solution from a cargo carrier point of view to simply slide the panels into open position and stow them in a lock tight solution. I know most jeep owners have a garage space dedicated to lifting the entire top off. But when you are in the field and want the cargo room inside the cab and the freedom of simply removing the panels, it would be nice to have a solution to reach up and pull them forward again minimizing time on the ground. Cruiser yachts call this escape hatches and the hatches are affixed on hinges to the hull. I am after a slider rail system or a cargo box.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Topic is good but exhausted. I am more interested in a roof case that is lockable which can be accessed from the cabin of the jeep without getting out. Thus, when it starts to rain or snow simply reach up release and slide forward. Minimizing the time and effort to reinstall a hard top freedom panel system. Of course in 2020 Jeep cam out with the automatic sky roof. Good, but not a hard top when you really need it. I'd much prefer an innovative solution from a cargo carrier point of view to simply slide the panels into open position and stow them in a lock tight solution. I know most jeep owners have a garage space dedicated to lifting the entire top off. But when you are in the field and want the cargo room inside the cab and the freedom of simply removing the panels, it would be nice to have a solution to reach up and pull them forward again minimizing time on the ground. Cruiser yachts call this escape hatches and the hatches are affixed on hinges to the hull. I am after a slider rail system or a cargo box.
You mean like this?

https://ezuft.com/

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
But why is a few metal strips and bolts $480. Ridiculous pricing.
I 100% agree with this! Crazy expensive and very unattractive in my opinion. For 480 dollars, you get something that looks like it came out of the home depot dollar bin.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Good thought out point David, but one you'd think a water tight bag might address...?

There's always large space bags:), or the ability to enclose a Freedom Panel in a closed plastic garbage bag, inside a roof top storage bag.

Space bags
Ummm... if it's raining wouldn't you have the Freedom Panels on the Jeep and not in a bag strapped to the roof?

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The consequence of rain or snow setting in quickly attracts my indifference to bags or nettting. Rather I am after an enclosure in which the freedom panels can be simply moved backwards into and locked. Then when the urge to get out of the wind or rain etc suddenly takes over it is simple to reach up and pull them forward back into their positions.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wonder if the same areas within the JL that the freedom panels currently clamp on could be duplicated and connected to the roof rack. Thoughts?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Nah it needs to be an up and slide to back .....have you ever seen the sliding roof of a Mini? you can retract to sunroof or open entirely. I think that a mechanism with rails for each panel to lift it enough to clear the top and slide it back into a locking position. Not electric just a manual. Unlock the points u normally unlock and push up and back, so it still sits on the top within the rail that follows it in movement. Allowing u to pull them back in and down if inclement weather arises while driving.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I wonder if the same areas within the JL that the freedom panels currently clamp on could be duplicated and connected to the roof rack. Thoughts?
Thats what I was thinking, just duplicate the mounting on a roof rack, pick up, slide back, reattach. Then the headliner isnt in the sun either.
Sponsored