Storing Freedom Panels on roof rack?

Tippett107

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I tried searching everywhere and cannot find it ...

Does anyone have any experience with storing the freedom panels on top of a roof rack? I have a JLU and would love to get the freedom panels out of the trunk area, if possible.

I am considering purchasing the Mopar Roof Rack kit (https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl) and putting padding on the bars to protect the freedom panels from scratches. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this before? And if so, do you have an easy and safe way to secure the tops down? (other than ratchet straps).

Thanks in advance!
Josh
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I tried searching everywhere and cannot find it ...

Does anyone have any experience with storing the freedom panels on top of a roof rack? I have a JLU and would love to get the freedom panels out of the trunk area, if possible.

I am considering purchasing the Mopar Roof Rack kit (https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl) and putting padding on the bars to protect the freedom panels from scratches. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this before? And if so, do you have an easy and safe way to secure the tops down? (other than ratchet straps).

Thanks in advance!
Josh
Did you ever find an answer to this question? I'd like to know too.

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I would imagine throwing them in the storage bag with something in between them and strapping them down to the roof would be fine. Use whatever you want to hold them down. Ropes, tie downs, strong bungees

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
This seems like it would be a killer aftermarket add on! Would sell like hotcakes!! Something maybe half the size of a roof rack that holds the freedom panels or whatever else you may need to carry instead of using the space in the rig. 2 door would def benefit from this.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't imagine it being an issue although I have the Sunrider top so I don't have first hand experience.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I would imagine throwing them in the storage bag with something in between them and strapping them down to the roof would be fine. Use whatever you want to hold them down. Ropes, tie downs, strong bungees
I completely agree with your tie down suggestions Noah to the extent that I'd like to build upon what might not be a useful as a tie down: the storage bag's straps itself. I don't know if in a short stop that I'd want to depend simply on those straps tied down to a roof rack to contain the forces of those panels slowing down from high speeds.

I wonder if that FCA bag is waterproof/or fine with getting wet. My only concern might be with exposing the white downside of the Freedom Panels to the elements or the attaching hardware.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
This is such a good idea that I am surprised that Mopar has not come out with specific “clips” for their own roof rack to hold the freedom panels. The only issue I can think of is that the headliners might degrade in the environment (Rain, etc).

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This is such a good idea that I am surprised that Mopar has not come out with specific “clips” for their own roof rack to hold the freedom panels. The only issue I can think of is that the headliners might degrade in the environment (Rain, etc).
Good thought out point David, but one you'd think a water tight bag might address...?

There's always large space bags:), or the ability to enclose a Freedom Panel in a closed plastic garbage bag, inside a roof top storage bag.

Space bags

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Good thought out point David, but one you'd think a water tight bag might address...?

There's always large space bags:), or the ability to enclose a Freedom Panel in a closed plastic garbage bag, inside a roof top storage bag.

Space bags
True. But a “custom mounting system“ from Mopar would likely sell well.

for me, it became a non-issue 30 minutes ago —- I just ordered the Bestop Sunrider and intend to keep it on year round.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
True. But a “custom mounting system“ from Mopar would likely sell well.

for me, it became a non-issue 30 minutes ago —- I just ordered the Bestop Sunrider and intend to keep it on year round.
Yeah but someone with a knife gets easy access to a Jeep with a Sunrider. Unless, is there a keyed lock option on the latching lever?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yeah but someone with a knife gets easy access to a Jeep with a Sunrider. Unless, is there a keyed lock option on the latching lever?
True. But someone with the same knife can shatter your door window too and gain access. If you were a thief, would you rather climb up, over, cut, and then crawl into a Jeep from the top to steel something or just smash the window, open the door, grab and go?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
True. But someone with the same knife can shatter your door window too and gain access. If you were a thief, would you rather climb up, over, cut, and then crawl into a Jeep from the top to steel something or just smash the window, open the door, grab and go?
Cutting makes little noise, smashing a window is loud.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Cutting makes little noise, smashing a window is loud.

And, given the amount of broken glass in parking space/parking lots in every city in America, no thief really cares about noise. They care about speed. A smash and grab is easier than climbing onto the roof of a Jeep to cut a hole. . Oh, and in the video that you posted, did you happen to notice that the alarm went off? Noisy, no? Did you also happen to see the yellow caution cone magically appear in this (”unedited/real life”) video at :53 seconds?

Oh, and seriously, which method of entry And exit into this car would be faster (With all the noise of the alarm going off): 1) smash the Window (or pop the lock) open Door grab, go or 2) cut, climb in grab, climb out the top again (apparently not bothering to open the door to exit).

climbing up and onto the top of a Jeep is not an especially fast or easy way to quickly break-in.

bottom line: if a thief wants something in your car, he will take it regardless of the type of vehicle or type of top and regardless of the alarm Noise.
Sponsored