Sponsored

Storage compartment tub or bag? Why not both? Bonus camping usage.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
One of the first things I purchased for the jeep was the Mopar storage compartment tub. Thirty bucks somewhere. Expensive for just a tub, but perfect fitment, with little wasted space. It is handy being able to pull all the tools out at once if you're working on the jeep, or to temporarily free up the compartment for storing other things. (In theory. That was the original plan, but I've never exercised the option) It is also much easier to clean out if you're a dummy and a tube of dielectric grease explodes its cap off and everywhere on a 100 degree day.

Eventually, the mass of tools in there became cumbersome to search through, so things got categorized and bagged:
Jeep Wrangler JL Storage compartment tub or bag?  Why not both?  Bonus camping usage. 20201204_095215

Now it's super convenient. Four of the bags are waxed canvas, and I stick Zerust tabs and capsules everywhere, but a solid week of hard rain a few months ago, combined with the hard top's rear windshield designed for maximum ingress of water in both the up and down positions, had me looking for a more waterproof container for everything.

I ended up getting this very nice Bartact bag that fits everything nicely:
Jeep Wrangler JL Storage compartment tub or bag?  Why not both?  Bonus camping usage. 20201204_095632

And fits in the compartment even nicelyerer:
Jeep Wrangler JL Storage compartment tub or bag?  Why not both?  Bonus camping usage. 20201204_094808

It's a tiny bit scrunched, due to the tub still being there, but not terrible. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in there once you organise it:
Jeep Wrangler JL Storage compartment tub or bag?  Why not both?  Bonus camping usage. 20201204_095356

I considered taking the tub out, but realised that it acutally makes for a pretty good water container, albeit not a particularly good water carrier.

At the very least, it's certainly better than sharing water duty with these Ikea sink tubs I have to "borrow" from Little Dog:
Jeep Wrangler JL Storage compartment tub or bag?  Why not both?  Bonus camping usage. 20201204_104701

Heck, with the tub on a table or something, it even looks like a kitchen sink:
Jeep Wrangler JL Storage compartment tub or bag?  Why not both?  Bonus camping usage. 20201204_095731

So by having both a large bag and the tub, for almost zero storage space and weight, you gain an always-ready, permanent, portable sink/washbasin/footbath/wet-or-disgusting item container. Well, not all at once.

I've been considering getting another tub just to keep as a perpetually loaded chuck box to swap in and out. Highly recommended for camping. At least after you wash it clean of silicone sealant and lithium grease, which incidentally also explode when it's over 100 degrees out.
Sponsored