Sponsored

Stop start not working (battery charging)

Schultz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator overland
So I have a 2020 jeep gladiator overland automatic V6. About a week in a half ago I took in my truck to have the stop start serviced and they told me it just needed a charge. I didn't think that was the issue but ok. Anyways as I was leaving I ended up having the same problem so I left it at the dealer over night. The next day I picked it up they said they replaced the batteries and the stop start was working fine. Now we get to today, I drive about 25 mins to work (I live in Ohio) and I check if the stop start is working and it says(Battery charging). Idk what's going on with my jeep but this is getting ridiculous.
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Bad battery? The batteries they use are not very good....there are posts in here about others having a battery replaced only to have it stop working. It is usually the small one that fails from what I have read. I would take it back in and have them fix it again if under warranty, if not go buy better batteries and change them out. Electrical problems are the worst. I feel your frustration.

OP
OP

Schultz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator overland
Bad battery? The batteries they use are not very good....there are posts in here about others having a battery replaced only to have it stop working. It is usually the small one that fails from what I have read. I would take it back in and have them fix it again if under warranty, if not go buy better batteries and change them out. Electrical problems are the worst. I feel your frustration.
Yeah it's under warranty it only has 19667 miles on it.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Yeah it's under warranty it only has 19667 miles on it.
Just had my small battery replaced at 23500. So far okay, but just a couple weeks. They load tested my big battery and said it was still good. You could try putting a trickle charger on it over night and see if that helps it...that may also throw an error, then you know.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Check the main fuses, #3 tends to blow when the batteries are changed by a careless or inexperienced tech/owner.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Schultz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator overland
Check the main fuses, #3 tends to blow when the batteries are changed by a careless or inexperienced tech/owner.
Yeah I'm not sure, I've never charged it but then again I wouldn't think I'd have to since I just got it back from the shop not too long ago.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yeah I'm not sure, I've never charged it but then again I wouldn't think I'd have to since I just got it back from the shop not too long ago.
The dealer just changed the battery, no? They are the careless ones.

OP
OP

Schultz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator overland
The dealer just changed the battery, no? They are the careless ones.
They charged it the first time then they said they replaced the battery and "topped it off" the next

PumpkinMeatloaf

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Punk'n Edition
Mine said battery charging for 2 weeks, during that time I scheduled an appointment to have it looked at and the day before it started working again. The appointment results were that everything test ok just needed charged, no issues yet. That is my experience so far.

OP
OP

Schultz

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator overland
Mine said battery charging for 2 weeks, during that time I scheduled an appointment to have it looked at and the day before it started working again. The appointment results were that everything test ok just needed charged, no issues yet. That is my experience so far.
Yeah they charged it then when I had to take it back for the same problem they said they were able to get the batteries to fail.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
as everyone is saying, it's likely battery related. The aux battery setup is notoriously bad in the JLs.

Is that 25 minutes to work all highway? I would drive it for a week or 2 and see if that does it. If your auto start stop dash warning light isn't on yet, you should be fine. If after a couple weeks the charging message doesn't go away, take it back in.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
They charged it the first time then they said they replaced the battery and "topped it off" the next
Do you have a 3.6 with aux battery? Assuming so, did they replace both?

Head on over here and look at the pinned posts: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/battery-talk.195/

TL;DR - The two battery setup is terribly designed (never wire dissimilar batteries in parallel). Bypassing AUX takes all of 5 mins and very little technical ability. You want a Tazer or SmartStopStart to keep ESS off after bypassing AUX. Buy a good cranking battery (I like Enersys). Buy a good, adequately sized charger/maintainer (Odyssey OBC-20a if you get an Enersys battery). See point #5 here.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Did they also replace the IBS or just the batteries? My GC with ESS was showing the battery charging message for a long time, even though it's a 35 minute drive each way to work and it still wasn't fully charging. They replaced both batteries plus the IBS under warranty and it has been fine for about 1.5 years since then.

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
What exactly is the IBS? I am tired of taking it to the dealer and they say they charged. They replaced some sensor one time and it worked for a day. I got tired of messing with them and I changed both the batteries my self and still says charging all the time

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
What exactly is the IBS? I am tired of taking it to the dealer and they say they charged. They replaced some sensor one time and it worked for a day. I got tired of messing with them and I changed both the batteries my self and still says charging all the time
Intelligent Battery Sensor. Here's a thread that gives all the details about it.

3.6L ESS IBS Information
Sponsored