Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I think they mean Slave Cylinder. The MC feeds the slave cylinder through the sleeve in question. I had the sleeve changed and had that protective cover put on it but the actual slave cylinder is still all jacked up. once it gets up to operating temp or anytime during the warmer months and summer it is spongy, sticky and creaky. Its almost like the seals inside swell and cause issues.

But, i am no engineer and the dealers cant find any problems with it so... :like:
Ahh yeah mine is a creaky bastard haha. Well, something is inside the bell housing/ slave cylinder. And yeah I feel it in the pedal big time.

Dealer actually replaced my master cylinder in an attempt to fix it but didnā€™t work.
Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Don't sweat, you have options.

First, how is the Maggie tuning accomplished? Did you have to send them your ECM to be programmed or did they unlock your ECM then send you a handheld tuner with which to download the Maggie tune? If there's a handheld tuner, you can return to the "stock" tune once the vehicle is in the bay at the dealership, then they can do the recall flash, then you reupload your Maggie tune. So long as the vehicle isn't started with the "stock" tune, you won't damage anything. You'll just need to call Magnuson first and get assurance from them that the clutch recall won't affect their tune first.

If you had to send the ECM to them to get programmed, you may have to wait until Magnuson gets the files from the clutch update and adds them to their tune. They will then either send you an email file for you to upload to your vehicle (if they have that capability) or, worst case, you'll have to send your ECM back to Maggie to get updated with the clutch recall software.

All that to say, Magnuson will work with you to ensure you can get any and all safety recalls and still work with their product. And, as long as you're upfront with the dealer about your expectations and intent (which is sounds like you've already paved that road with them), it'll be slightly more complex to get done but you can still get it done. No vehicle hostage necessary.
Thanks man. For the tune, you pull the PCM and ship it to Pettyā€™s garage in NC. The whole ship out and receive back was a little over a week. thereā€™s no handheld to flash back to stock, etc.

Id be surprised if Magnuson altered their tune to limit torque, based on the same parameters that Jeep is using. I donā€™t think they have a separate tune for the manuals and another for the auto. Would be surprised to see Maggie try to address this, but truly - what do I know.

Assuming that a better clutch is the total and best solution, thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be getting. And so Iā€™m not hopeful for any new tune, even from Magnuson.

Iā€™m just slightly worried about Jeep dealerships being disallowed to release the Jeep to me, under some safety rules, if they donā€™t have record of the recall having been performed. Like I could have an aftermarket clutch, be good to go, and take the Jeep in for an oil change - and they be like ā€œsorry sir we know you donā€™t want it, but we are forced to flash PCM for this recall before we can return the Jeep to you.ā€

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Ahh yeah mine is a creaky bastard haha. Well, something is inside the bell housing/ slave cylinder. And yeah I feel it in the pedal big time.

Dealer actually replaced my master cylinder in an attempt to fix it but didnā€™t work.
It drives me crazy! My old YJ had this issue, but it was resolved when the SC was replaced with an aftermarket one.

Guess we just hafta deal with it right?

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
It drives me crazy! My old YJ had this issue, but it was resolved when the SC was replaced with an aftermarket one.

Guess we just hafta deal with it right?
Is this creaking common with manual JLs? Would it be resolved in new builds?

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Is this creaking common with manual JLs? Would it be resolved in new builds?
As far as i can tell yes. I cannot speak for every manual trans out their though. All i know is the creaking sounds and the pedal feeling spongy and odd didn't start untill after the first summer, so about 6 months into ownership.

It doesn't effect the operation really, just one of those things you do notice.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Long shot, but any ballpark idea of how much of delay this will cause in new orders? I was quoted 4-6 week prior to any recall FYI.
The flash is expected in March, but I don't have any specifics.
I saw another post of yours, starting at a certain point new vehicle builds are being held at the factory and will be flashed prior to arriving at the dealer.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Kaitlin. So you are saying my manual which was built 10 days ago will likely sit until some (not determined) date in March before itā€™s shipped? I thought this clutch issue only impacted units built before mid-January?
Yes it will be delayed. The flash is expected in March. The recall affects all manuals built until the flash is available.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm expecting my new 6 speed 2 door Rubicon to be shipped on Feb 18th (friday). Dealer told me everything is on track. Should I expect it not to show up? I read through the posts and it sure seems that way. I'm confused, depressed
Hi, yes it will be delayed. The flash isn't available yet and the dealer can't deliver it with an open recall.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
All manual transmission aficionados,

Not to be critical of your three pedal expertise, but the JL implementation of the ZF8 speed automatic rocks!

I have driven manuals my entire life. A few automatics scattered here and there on rare occasions. However, I always tended to favor amanual. They just give you way much more control.

Not any more! I purchased my 2019 2-door Sport S 3.6L Auto based upon a deal I just couldn't pass up. Nearly $9K below invoice due to a dealership 3+ month cluster repair fubar. They essentially just wanted this Jeep off their books.

Best good luck I've ever had. Thought I'd miss the third pedal... Not in the slightest.

This ZF8 with AutoStick gives me all the control I've ever had with any manual. Off road especially in 4Lo, I never have to struggle with riding the clutch over difficult obstacles. Just select a gear and the ZF8 nearly immediately responds.

On road, its shift points are smooth, quick, almost imperceptible (especially the middle and high-gear ranges). It down shifts just like I would, likely even better on hard braking conditions. In summary it's nearly as flawless a powertrain implementation as I've ever experienced. As a former Chrysler Powertrain Software Engineer, I'm very impressed. Typically, I tend to be overly critical and bitch about nearly every calibration setting in just about any car I drive.

If you are after precision control of your Jeep and can get beyond any ego of exercising your left foot in doing so, ditch this problematic disintegrating, potentially explosive clutch-plate disaster and move up to something much (much) better.

You won't regret it.

Jay
I bought a JLU with the 3.6 and auto. No complaints with the transmission, HOWEVER! I severely injured my shoulder, and my daughter came to visit and drive me to some out of state appointments. She drives with either the gas or the brake pedal pushed to the floor. We took my jeep, because my dog owns the back, and if I can't take my dog I don't go. After a week she went home. My transmission shifted completely different for a week or so after her driving it. Does it have a learning curve controlling the shifting?

gr8nate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys
Ugh, I ordered my Jeep on 12/19 with manual transmission, itā€™s shipping right now from PA - What does that mean for new orders? Did they put the in fix?

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Hi, yes it will be delayed. The flash isn't available yet and the dealer can't deliver it with an open recall.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
The cut off build date was 01/22. What if your Jeep was built past that date? My build started 01/28. Will my Jeep be delayed?

Ahre

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ordered Mar 14, 2020
Occupation
Retired
It is a software flash.
It's my understanding the software flash (to decrease engine torque when the clutch gets too hot) is for the vehicles that have been sold and recalled.
I don't know if this is the same fix for all manual transmissions yet to be manufactured or is Jeep going to redesign the clutch in order to not have to reduce engine torque under a special condition.
I'm choosing to forgo the software flash/performance downgrade and totally avoid excessive clutch slippage. If the stock clutch is insufficient for my driving/overlanding needs, I will go for an aftermarket high performance clutch installation.
If anyone knows what Jeep is planning for post recall clutch manufacturing, please let us know...
Take care all, -paul

JennnyB

First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Human Resources
Well, what would you have them do instead? Let you pick it up and deal with the issue later?

That wouldn't be a good course of action. I know it sucks but at the end of the day it will be better to have it fixed before you get it, IMHO.
I agree! I ordered my Jeep on Nov. 6, took delivery on Dec. 30 and now I have a recall :mad::mad:

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Placing my order within the next 24 hours. Worried about the clutch squeak now. Want as few issues as possible!

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
The cut off build date was 01/22. What if your Jeep was built past that date? My build started 01/28. Will my Jeep be delayed?
If you read the recall it says it includes units built up to 1/22 WHEN SHIPPING STOPPED. So my unit (ordered 1/19 and had build sheet 2/8) sits built in Toledo in storage with everyone elseā€™s until issue is resolved. New units will be built and put in storage lot until resolution, then new units from that point on will be built with the flash in place.
Sponsored