Sponsored

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Yes the fix might be fixed at the factory. But I’m not sure when they will have them fixed. I still think the timeframe will be the same. I hope I’m wrong.
I feel you! My goal is actually to take delivery approx 4/1 to line up with returning my current lease. Ordering tomorrow so hopefully 6+ weeks from now til then will be enough. Feel bad for everyone who planned on having a car now stuck for what could be an extra month without one.
Sponsored

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Thx for the advise about a Taco.
To get a manual Taco, it had to ordered (had to order my JLR too).
About a three month lead time.
The Taco should be here at the end of March.
Hopefully, the seat comfort issue can be fixed by raising the back of the seat's frame rail a couple of inches.
A couple of years ago I asked about ordering a manual trans Toyota Tacoma and was told that you couldn't custom order one; and that dealers just had to take whatever the factory sent them. Sounded like BS to me.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I’m in a unique spot.

Have a 2018 JLUR, 6 speed, nicely modded, and...and a magnuson super charger with the magnuson tune (as required.). It cannot run on the Jeep tune.

Have only had my Jeep to the dealership once since the blower was added, to diagnose / fix an issue related to my aux switch panel. I took special care to tell my advisor that the PCM must not be touched. A warning on the module port itself from Magnuson, and I printed signs and placed in a couple obvious spots. No problem, PCM was not touched.

I don’t think I can accept any Jeep PCM update whatsoever. My fix will have to be an aftermarket clutch, and I’m in touch with both centerforce and southbend awaiting their products - both are following this issue and bringing JL clutches to market, both at least a few months out. I doubt anything will emerge til summer...would be nice if sooner.

My question - if my Jeep ever sees a dealership again...is it going to be held hostage? Is it possible that Jeep could / would dismiss the recall for me on the basis of having an aftermarket clutch?

At this point, I don’t have much need for the dealership, but several gremlins over the years (radio / head unit issues, the steering tsb for example) cause me to think I may at some point NEED a dealership...even if all maintenance and build work is done outside the dealership. Do I need to cease all diplomatic relations with the dealership for fear of a hostage situation ?
Don't sweat, you have options.

First, how is the Maggie tuning accomplished? Did you have to send them your ECM to be programmed or did they unlock your ECM then send you a handheld tuner with which to download the Maggie tune? If there's a handheld tuner, you can return to the "stock" tune once the vehicle is in the bay at the dealership, then they can do the recall flash, then you reupload your Maggie tune. So long as the vehicle isn't started with the "stock" tune, you won't damage anything. You'll just need to call Magnuson first and get assurance from them that the clutch recall won't affect their tune first.

If you had to send the ECM to them to get programmed, you may have to wait until Magnuson gets the files from the clutch update and adds them to their tune. They will then either send you an email file for you to upload to your vehicle (if they have that capability) or, worst case, you'll have to send your ECM back to Maggie to get updated with the clutch recall software.

All that to say, Magnuson will work with you to ensure you can get any and all safety recalls and still work with their product. And, as long as you're upfront with the dealer about your expectations and intent (which is sounds like you've already paved that road with them), it'll be slightly more complex to get done but you can still get it done. No vehicle hostage necessary.

MOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUW 2.0T (Hella Yella), ‘23 JLW 2.0T (Sarge)
A couple of years ago I asked about ordering a manual trans Toyota Tacoma and was told that you couldn't custom order one; and that dealers just had to take whatever the factory sent them. Sounded like BS to me.
BS for sure. All three of my Tacos have been custom ordered, manual,
TRD ORs. Find a diff dealer cuz that one employs lying liars who lie.

MOS

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes the fix might be fixed at the factory. But I’m not sure when they will have them fixed. I still think the timeframe will be the same. I hope I’m wrong.
I emailed Jeep Cares about this, here is the response:

“I have heard back from our information team and that due to the recall there will be a delay on completing the orders with that configuration (manual transmission), but the recall will be completed before it is delivered to the dealership. At this time I'd recommend contacting us back in a few weeks for an update on your status.”

Sponsored

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So, I'm not getting my jeep at the end of this month? :clap:

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yep I'd find it surprising that Jeep would totally stop all orders and not even begin building any manual wranglers for a software fixable recall.
Yes, this. I'm hoping they put a better clutch in it instead... lol. I ordered from Criswell and haven't heard anything.

Rubiconchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I emailed Jeep Cares about this, here is the response:

“I have heard back from our information team and that due to the recall there will be a delay on completing the orders with that configuration (manual transmission), but the recall will be completed before it is delivered to the dealership. At this time I'd recommend contacting us back in a few weeks for an update on your status.”
Please keep us updated and if you find out what they're doing yo fix this clutch issue please let me know. If the fix is reducing torque I'm not taking delivery. These v6 engines don't hsve enough torque the way it is.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Please keep us updated and if you find out what they're doing yo fix this clutch issue please let me know. If the fix is reducing torque I'm not taking delivery. These v6 engines don't hsve enough torque the way it is.
JeepCares has already provided the information. It won't affect torque unless excessive clutch slippage is detected. Here is the best info we have at this point:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ch-pressure-plate.47887/page-102#post-1395578

Sponsored

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

What a mess. I'm on my second Center Force clutch and I'm expecting the 'improved' version in early March. If I have a beefier aftermarket clutch, should I stay away from any software patches that 'detune' engine output to save an OEM clutch I don't have?

The master cylinder has been problematic from the get go. Somewhere in this thread there was mention of a sleeve to improve the MC. Anyone confirm beefing up the MC?

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
When you're on your second auto trans rebuild at 170k at $5000 a pop and I'm still on the factory manual Aisin built trans with a centerforce or south bend (or whatever Jeep finally decides to replace it with) clutch replacement at 1/2 the cost we can start a new thread...
I’m very happy with my 8SP auto, right up until the warranty expires. Though I imagine the radio would die first.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
What a mess. I'm on my second Center Force clutch and I'm expecting the 'improved' version in early March. If I have a beefier aftermarket clutch, should I stay away from any software patches that 'detune' engine output to save an OEM clutch I don't have?

The master cylinder has been problematic from the get go. Somewhere in this thread there was mention of a sleeve to improve the MC. Anyone confirm beefing up the MC?
What’s the problem with the MC? Or are you talking about the protective sleeve for the MC line so that it won’t get cut/ damaged and allow air into the system?

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
All manual transmission aficionados,

Not to be critical of your three pedal expertise, but the JL implementation of the ZF8 speed automatic rocks!

I have driven manuals my entire life. A few automatics scattered here and there on rare occasions. However, I always tended to favor amanual. They just give you way much more control.

Not any more! I purchased my 2019 2-door Sport S 3.6L Auto based upon a deal I just couldn't pass up. Nearly $9K below invoice due to a dealership 3+ month cluster repair fubar. They essentially just wanted this Jeep off their books.

Best good luck I've ever had. Thought I'd miss the third pedal... Not in the slightest.

This ZF8 with AutoStick gives me all the control I've ever had with any manual. Off road especially in 4Lo, I never have to struggle with riding the clutch over difficult obstacles. Just select a gear and the ZF8 nearly immediately responds.

On road, its shift points are smooth, quick, almost imperceptible (especially the middle and high-gear ranges). It down shifts just like I would, likely even better on hard braking conditions. In summary it's nearly as flawless a powertrain implementation as I've ever experienced. As a former Chrysler Powertrain Software Engineer, I'm very impressed. Typically, I tend to be overly critical and bitch about nearly every calibration setting in just about any car I drive.

If you are after precision control of your Jeep and can get beyond any ego of exercising your left foot in doing so, ditch this problematic disintegrating, potentially explosive clutch-plate disaster and move up to something much (much) better.

You won't regret it.

Jay
Coming from a life long Manual owner, and current Manual 2 door.... I agree with you. Looking bacK, and after a JL auto and a Gladiator auto loaners from warranty work, i would have went with the automatic as well. Yes throwing your own gears is great and all but the auto is faster, more responsive and actually smoother.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
What’s the problem with the MC? Or are you talking about the protective sleeve for the MC line so that it won’t get cut/ damaged and allow air into the system?
I think they mean Slave Cylinder. The MC feeds the slave cylinder through the sleeve in question. I had the sleeve changed and had that protective cover put on it but the actual slave cylinder is still all jacked up. once it gets up to operating temp or anytime during the warmer months and summer it is spongy, sticky and creaky. Its almost like the seals inside swell and cause issues.

But, i am no engineer and the dealers cant find any problems with it so... :like:
Sponsored