Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
For what it’s worth. I contacted a local shop about replacing the clutch to a Jeep I haven’t taken delivery of yet, and this was his response:

I just got off the phone with our contact at a Jeep dealership. He told me that the recall is to inspect one of the lines coming from the master cylinder and possibly install a sleeve into the master cylinder. He told me on VERY rare occasions they have to replace the clutch itself.

Honestly, most of the time we recommend OE, or Exedy clutches. The problem with the performance clutches is that they are designed for extreme racing, performance, and horsepower. On mostly stock applications, a performance clutch is too stiff and uncomfortable for daily driving.

Honestly, if I were you, I would just let them complete the recall, and drive it. If you are still wanting to do something more performance, you can come in and we can discuss options and see what is in stock. Right now, most everything is backordered. “

This is the first I’ve heard of these additional fixes. I’m really curious to read your thoughts.
Sounds like he’s crossing the 2 recalls. The one he’s describing was last years recall, all new built Jeeps will have that already done. The current recall is the one so far described as a detune software flash.
Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Order placed on 12/29. Jeep has been done and built for 2 weeks and still at the factory. Yes it sucks but I waited 7 years to get back into a Jeep, what's another month. In time it will pass and you will have your Jeep and this will be nothing more than a forgotten memory.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR

dave_p

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-Door
I ordered my manual Nov 8 and it just got stuck in this recall (it was already off the train a week before the recall - infuriating). I fail to understand how a voluntary recall (it's safe enough to drive for the thousands already on the road) means they can't ship it and let me decide if I want it fixed. However this part of it is probably not Jeep's fault.

Here's my question. This is going to be at least 5 months for me and I've lost patience with it. I know a 2dr, sting gray, soft-top manual is going to be hard for my dealer to sell, and he might lose money on it. Should I care? Is this just a dumb thing to worry about? On some level I feel like I made a handshake agreement to buy it, and I want to honor the agreement since it's not his fault. On the other hand, he said 6-8 weeks, and I shouldn't have to care whose fault it is within jeep - together they can't deliver a vehicle that I expected during Christmas break, and they're not even close.

Will he actually lose money or just fail to make the profit on me that he expected? I left a 1K deposit and got it for 1500 under MSRP in Northern Cal which I have to think left some money on the table. I'm ok walking away from the deposit even though I probably deserve it back, but honestly just want to resolve it in a fair way -- any advice?

Sponsored

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited

JeepOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I ordered my manual Nov 8 and it just got stuck in this recall (it was already off the train a week before the recall - infuriating). I fail to understand how a voluntary recall (it's safe enough to drive for the thousands already on the road) means they can't ship it and let me decide if I want it fixed. However this part of it is probably not Jeep's fault.

Here's my question. This is going to be at least 5 months for me and I've lost patience with it. I know a 2dr, sting gray, soft-top manual is going to be hard for my dealer to sell, and he might lose money on it. Should I care? Is this just a dumb thing to worry about? On some level I feel like I made a handshake agreement to buy it, and I want to honor the agreement since it's not his fault. On the other hand, he said 6-8 weeks, and I shouldn't have to care whose fault it is within jeep - together they can't deliver a vehicle that I expected during Christmas break, and they're not even close.

Will he actually lose money or just fail to make the profit on me that he expected? I left a 1K deposit and got it for 1500 under MSRP in Northern Cal which I have to think left some money on the table. I'm ok walking away from the deposit even though I probably deserve it back, but honestly just want to resolve it in a fair way -- any advice?
That’s awful they got you with a deposit, I would beg to question that since the dealer didn’t come through on the timeline that you don’t have to go through with the deposit. I would think it’s a good argument if you wanted to back out, but from what I’ve experienced is that the only person who has to hold up their end of the deal is the consumer. Good luck, I hope for you and me they deliver soon.

dave_p

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-Door
I was worried about it but I think it's pretty rare. I will say as an owner of a 6-speed I will say it's worth the wait
Is it fun to drive? I learned to drive on a 1977 stick shift ford Pinto wagon, and I loved it. Then I had a manual BMW 3-series in the bachelor days and loved it. I just really liked the manual experience - I imagine the jeep will be somewhere in between in terms of ease-of-use. I don't want to be fighting it all the time but obviously I'm ready for a little Ab workout here in the hills. Help me out dude, I'm right on the fence!! (see my earlier whining post about the 5 month wait) Should I wait it out???

dave_p

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-Door
That’s awful they got you with a deposit, I would beg to question that since the dealer didn’t come through on the timeline that you don’t have to go through with the deposit. I would think it’s a good argument if you wanted to back out, but from what I’ve experienced is that the only person who has to hold up their end of the deal is the consumer. Good luck, I hope for you and me they deliver soon.
Yeah I hope so too. As a once-software developer (not for cars) myself, I would think they need to write the software but then they need to test it pretty thoroughly, and if it doesn't work out they'll need to tweak and re-test until they're satisfied it works when they want and not when they don't. Totally speculating. But human nature is to be optimistic that the first try is going to work, so I wouldn't be surprised if this took longer. Then again maybe they padded for that and it'll be quicker! But my money's on longer.

Rubiconchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm expecting my new 6 speed 2 door Rubicon to be shipped on Feb 18th (friday). Dealer told me everything is on track. Should I expect it not to show up? I read through the posts and it sure seems that way. I'm confused, depressed

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I'm expecting my new 6 speed 2 door Rubicon to be shipped on Feb 18th (friday). Dealer told me everything is on track. Should I expect it not to show up? I read through the posts and it sure seems that way. I'm confused, depressed
Honestly, this is the million-dollar question. We don't know if the factory has the fix yet and if they implemented it already. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I'd hope + bet on the factory implements the fix prior to the public notification and dealership rollout. Worst case it's sounding like mid-March. I'm placing my order on Monday for a manual fingers crossed.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I'm going to start taking bets on a couple of our orders; will the manual transmission or the half doors hold it up at the factory longer? :CWL:

I've been waiting since Oct 28th.

I have to constantly remind myself some things take time. With society (myself included) we are so trained to have instant gratification with amazon prime, instagram, twitter, 24 hour news..... It's easy to loose patience.

There are Jeeps on lots right now I could go buy; but I want something most people don't. I'm trading time for getting what I want. Reality is, if everyone wanted a 2 door manual Wrangler they'd be littering dealer lots and I'd have just gone out and bought one.

As a couple people have said here, there are Jeeps you can get much faster with an automatic transmission- that by all accounts is pretty fantastic transmission.

They're not wrong; and I will thank them for offering that perspective, it's a valid option. Especially with the manual recalls. That's enough for some people to change their mind.

A lot of people here just want what they want.

No one likes to wait, but it will be that much sweeter when it arrives and you see it for the first time!

I'm just thankful that with everything going on in the world I'm able to buy a new vehicle and complain about the little things!

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
Yep I'd find it surprising that Jeep would totally stop all orders and not even begin building any manual wranglers for a software fixable recall.
their is no software fix that will fix a defective manual clutch

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I'm going to start taking bets on a couple of our orders; will the manual transmission or the half doors hold it up at the factory longer? :CWL:

I've been waiting since Oct 28th.

I have to constantly remind myself some things take time. With society (myself included) we are so trained to have instant gratification with amazon prime, instagram, twitter, 24 hour news..... It's easy to loose patience.

There are Jeeps on lots right now I could go buy; but I want something most people don't. I'm trading time for getting what I want. Reality is, if everyone wanted a 2 door manual Wrangler they'd be littering dealer lots and I'd have just gone out and bought one.

As a couple people have said here, there are Jeeps you can get much faster with an automatic transmission- that by all accounts is pretty fantastic transmission.

They're not wrong; and I will thank them for offering that perspective, it's a valid option. Especially with the manual recalls. That's enough for some people to change their mind.

A lot of people here just want what they want.

No one likes to wait, but it will be that much sweeter when it arrives and you see it for the first time!

I'm just thankful that with everything going on in the world I'm able to buy a new vehicle and complain about the little things!
Was thinking the same thing! This thread is prime example of first world problems. Wah, I have to wait an extra 2 weeks for my custom order $50k dream car. FYI I'm the one saying that. At this point decided going to just place my order and wait the extra couple weeks or so.
Sponsored