Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I am bummed - I feel like a made a big mistake ordering a Wrangler. My friends kept telling me to buy a Taco and not to buy an American made vehicle. Looks like I'll be waiting 8 or 9 weeks for a Jeep. I can't afford to lose $1K deposit, so I'm just stuck. Sucks.
I won’t make excuses for Jeep here, but if you can’t afford to lose a $1000 deposit (which you shouldn’t actually lose) you can’t afford the vehicle you made the deposit on.
Sponsored

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
I am bummed - I feel like a made a big mistake ordering a Wrangler. My friends kept telling me to buy a Taco and not to buy an American made vehicle. Looks like I'll be waiting 8 or 9 weeks for a Jeep. I can't afford to lose $1K deposit, so I'm just stuck. Sucks.
I’m in the same boat as you. It sucks a lot 😔

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I won’t make excuses for Jeep here, but if you can’t afford to lose a $1000 deposit (which you shouldn’t actually lose) you can’t afford the vehicle you made the deposit on.
It's a non refundable deposit.

A grand is a lot of money to me - So giving $1,000 to car dealerships for nothing in return is not something I normally do. I appreciate your concern, but do not tell me what I can and cannot afford. I am a finacial Auditor, so I am familiar with debits and credits.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
As disappointing as it is my wife prefers the manual so we will wait. Patience is a virtue right? The best things in life are worth waiting for, right? We are still fortunate not to wait as long as many others have / will!

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
As disappointing as it is my wife prefers the manual so we will wait. Patience is a virtue right? The best things in life are worth waiting for, right? We are still fortunate not to wait as long as many others have / will!
My wife too will only buy a manual, I tried to convince her otherwise. As she states, “I get bored driving anything other than a manual”...

Sponsored

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
The articles seem to all say the software update will reduce torque in situations in which the clutch could over heat, like towing.
It is my understanding that the software will only reduce torque if the clutch is actually slipping, based on a calculation involving engine speed, gear selected, and wheel speed. In that situation, reduced power seems like a good idea to me.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Yep I'd find it surprising that Jeep would totally stop all orders and not even begin building any manual wranglers for a software fixable recall.
I know they are currently building manuals because the build sheet for mine just showed up this morning. Don't know for sure if it has the new software, but I'd assume so.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
It is my understanding that the software will only reduce torque if the clutch is actually slipping, based on a calculation involving engine speed, gear selected, and wheel speed. In that situation, reduced power seems like a good idea to me.
Ah ok. Yeah I’m ok with reducing torque in extreme and rare situations to prevent damage. Won’t be able to drag race while towing in 100 degree heat but that’s fine with me.

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It's a non refundable deposit.

A grand is a lot of money to me - So giving $1,000 to car dealerships for nothing in return is not something I normally do. I appreciate your concern, but do not tell me what I can and cannot afford. I am a finacial Auditor, so I am familiar with debits and credits.
I think they’d be hard pressed to withhold your deposit in a published situation where they can not deliver the vehicle. Sure, maybe they’d claim that they should be allowed reasonable time to produce the vehicle and that adding a few more weeks to a special order is reasonable. That’s fair. But they have to balance that with public image and I doubt they’d fight over $1,000.

and it won’t be 8-9 more weeks! (Assuming yours is built already) I have to assume that their top priority is to get all the built manual Jeeps off their lot and in people’s hands asap so that they get paid.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I just received a call from my dealer who told me they have a stop order on all sales of manual transmissions to fix that clutch recall mentioned from a few days ago.

I was flying into DC tomorrow to pick up said Jeep, but no longer. This is terrible, and obviously no ones fault other than Jeep.

Any advice for me going forward? I don’t want to blame anyone, but this leaves such a salty taste in my mouth.

In case anyone was wondering I’m purchasing through Koons, Vienna VA.
I like manual transmissions in my sports cars. However, for my Jeep I love the 8-speed auto. It is great in L.A. stop and to traffic and it is also great on the trail. On the trail, I think the auto has many advantages with no down side. I am glad I got the auto.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Having my six speed wrangler has been awesome and I hope the fix for whatever is causing problems is done soon. What I don’t understand in this thread is all the auto people coming in and espousing the merits of the automatic transmission? I mean diapers are awesome too, you can use the restroom whenever you like but some of us don’t mind the extra work of getting up and going to the bathroom. So save the diatribes for your wife’s boyfriend, six speed for life lol. Jk but seriously no one cares if you love your auto, hence the reason we bought six speeds.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
These threads are for sharing stories and helping fellow Jeepers independent of whether or not you wear diapers.

Manual transmissions are WONDERFUL when implemented properly. Unfortunately FCA has utterly turned their latest few model year JL- MT6 transmission executions into an unqualified mess.

Some people may have an open mind into trying another option that does work rather well. No wait, no issues and no big deal.

Telling people to take a hike for having a different opinion is what's wrong. Totally 1000% wrong.

I've provided (and will continue to do so) candid well intentioned perspectives in that there are options to all those suffering from not being able to order, or have their desired JL delivered for another month, or more.

Maybe someone (other than you) can make the decision to switch. I'm just sharing my experience, coming from driving a manual almost my entire adult life into something I now enjoy just as much and possibly even better. I have the best of both worlds.

Keep pumping that left leg, you most certainly have every right.

Enjoy your closed mindedness but I for one will continue to help others in this forum any chance I feel that I can contribute regardless of the topic or whether you are wearing your big boy pants.

I welcome, encourage and appreciate everyone's opinions on any subject whether exactly on topic or not. Jeepers are great people. I LIKE to hear their thoughts on the best vehicle I've ever owned. Good, bad, indifferent, funny, profound, upsetting and even sometimes stupid. I think you can guess in what category I believe the last post falls. I still appreciate it all the same.

Thanks, I need to now flush and get back to my life.

Jay

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I think they’d be hard pressed to withhold your deposit in a published situation where they can not deliver the vehicle. Sure, maybe they’d claim that they should be allowed reasonable time to produce the vehicle and that adding a few more weeks to a special order is reasonable. That’s fair. But they have to balance that with public image and I doubt they’d fight over $1,000.

and it won’t be 8-9 more weeks! (Assuming yours is built already) I have to assume that their top priority is to get all the built manual Jeeps off their lot and in people’s hands asap so that they get paid.
Yeah, you make some good points and I'd have to agree with you - there just seems to be informations coming from several different sources that contradicts each other. I'll stay the course for the next few weeks and see what happens.

tlknasel

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Web Applications Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I just received a call from my dealer who told me they have a stop order on all sales of manual transmissions to fix that clutch recall mentioned from a few days ago.

I was flying into DC tomorrow to pick up said Jeep, but no longer. This is terrible, and obviously no ones fault other than Jeep.

Any advice for me going forward? I don’t want to blame anyone, but this leaves such a salty taste in my mouth.

In case anyone was wondering I’m purchasing through Koons, Vienna VA.
Sorry to hear about the stop sale on your new Jeep. Jeep will error on the side of caution regarding the recall on the manual transmission. The recall must have had bad safety consequences, otherwise they would not have issued a stop sale order. Anyway, Koons CDJR of Vienna, VA is my dealer and they are pretty good with new Jeep deals and any subsequent recalls. When my Jeep was a part of front-weld bracket recall (early last year), I went there for an oil change and they were like you cannot drive it back home because of the recall. I told them that my Jeep was not part of the few they were looking for and it was proven two-weeks later when Koons CDJR photographed the front- bracket welds and sent the pictures to Jeep. Jeep returned a good to go verdict from the photographs. I would just wait for the dealer to process the recall and then take delivery, they are just being carefull.

Last edited: