Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Disagree, somewhat. I'm generally really careful and patient in terms of driving style....metal fatigue on the harder end of the trail spectrum is a big contributor to what you break as well.

I've run this obstacle in various vehicles from full bodied to buggies. Broken 2 axles in there. One was after sliding off a good line into a really bad one; another was simply metal fatigue.

If you wheel rocks long enough, you'll break a front axle...even if it's an upgraded 60.

MartinezRockpile.jpg
That's because that obstacle is ridiculous. If you asked me to crawl up on that thing I would shit my pants and tell you to go to hell. Axles would have nothing to do with it.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
When you go to sell (and you will) A Rubicon is a factory built Rubicon. A sport with Rubicon or better upgrades is a Sport. And if you did the upgrades yourself in your garage....great you saved money but very few buyers want a sport some "handyman" built at home on the weekend.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Unlike what he claims, the Sport is also fine with 35" tires.
Maybe for soft trail riding. The D35 is a turd and Ive seen plenty of D30s break with 35s. But if you're not wheeling then great, stick with a sport, as I said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with one and they're very capable out of the box. Ive wheeled enough to see what works continuously without many breaks and what doesn't. If someone asks for my opinion and is doing any type of wheeling, Im going to suggest a Rubicon. If someones isnt wheeling or doing light overland shit, Ill say a sport or Sahara will do just fine.

Sponsored

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Maybe for soft trail riding. The D35 is a turd and Ive seen plenty of D30s break with 35s. But if you're not wheeling then great, stick with a sport, as I said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with one and they're very capable out of the box. Ive wheeled enough to see what works continuously without many breaks and what doesn't. If someone asks for my opinion and is doing any type of wheeling, Im going to suggest a Rubicon. If someones isnt wheeling or doing light overland shit, Ill say a sport or Sahara will do just fine.
You have real life experience with the M200? Curious as to if it’s actually “a turd” or if you are just regurgitating information that is being passed along.

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
im mulling something like this myself. order absolute base jeep with hardtop and air conditioning the only options..

upgrade axes to d60s and i want manually locking hubs..

upgrade t-case to atlas..

upgrade shocks..

and various suspension and steering bits.

i would lift it but not much. around where i live mud is what you contend with most on trails not rocks like out west.

im curious what the cost to this (additional parts installed) would be

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I got the Rubicon for the gearing on the manual and because the order would accept LEDs. I'd have probably gone with the Sahara if the build sheet would have let me add LEDs at the time, but I like the looks and am happy, even though I don't need much of the stuff. It matched my desire/budget intersection though, so that's what I have. I really don't care what anyone else thinks at this point. You shouldn't either. Compare what you want and its cost against your budget, and find your own intersection, then be happy.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I bought my first Jeep a couple of months ago, after decades of pushing stock 4wd pickups to their limits, in work and play.
I bought a Sport, with all the options that matter on the ground.
I’m amazed at how much more it can do than any pickup I’ve ever owned.
I love it, and intend to drive it at least until the warranty runs out.
But if I was shopping today, I’d buy a Rubicon.
It’s a fallacy to say it costs $7k more, imo. It costs $7k minus however much of that $7k you get back at trade-in/resale. I’m thinking I’d get most of it back. And I’d have a Rubicon instead of a Sport for 3 years.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Didn't read all the posts but the bottom line is if you're going to stay stock(or lightly mod) get the Rubi, but if you're going to mod get the sport. After my JK, I said I would never again lift a DD, but rather just buy a Rubi to start. Well, I almost bought a Sport S, but the 6K extra for the Rubi was justified to me in looks alone with the wheels, tires, and hood (call it $3K value).

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The current D30 is not drastically different than the one in the JKs and has never been known for being robust with 35" tires; internet or not.
Wasn’t referring to the D30. I was curious if he had any real experience with the M200.

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Sorry....I missed that part of your reply. The D35 (M200) *should* be quite a bit better than the old D35 turds with the c-clip axles WRT the axle sliding out of the housing after the break, but the M200 really isn't drastically different than the D35 it replaces.... If the axle breaks in the splines where they typically break, then the M200 not being c-clip is really only helpful for getting it off the trail. The main failure point is still present, namely a small diameter shaft.

Got ya, my main reason for asking was I contemplating going with 35s and not 33s but I wanted to see if anyone had an actual failure with the m200 with light trails not rocks and 35s.

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Sorry....I missed that part of your reply. The D35 (M200) *should* be quite a bit better than the old D35 turds with the c-clip axles WRT the axle sliding out of the housing after the break, but the M200 really isn't drastically different than the D35 it replaces.... If the axle breaks in the splines where they typically break, then the M200 not being c-clip is really only helpful for getting it off the trail. The main failure point is still present, namely a small diameter shaft.
I had stumbled across this and didn’t know how accurate it is.

9CF79B59-395A-4B3C-B255-5EC63D848082.png

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You have real life experience with the M200? Curious as to if it’s actually “a turd” or if you are just regurgitating information that is being passed along.
Don’t need real life experience. The facts of the axle are listed and the little changes they made to the axle compared to the JK, you can draw factual conclusions that it’s not robust enough to handle large tires and a good amount of wheeling. You can lie to yourself and claim whatever you’d like. If it works for you, great! There’s nothing wrong with a sport, if said it multiple times. But those axles can’t handle larger tires or Jeep would have put them in the Rubicons as well, just like the larger brakes. And, Rubicon axles have broke with 35s+. These are facts. Not opinion or Internet conspiracy’s
Sponsored