Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Other option is to buy an old JK and mod the crap out of it. You can find hemi swap JK’s that people have grown tired of with a ton of mods for about a new JLUS.....
Certain vehicles I'm more of "I have to be the original owner", and Wranglers are top of the list (Also Challengers and non-mopar wise, BRZ's)

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Huh? Bigger brakes are definitely worth it off-road. The Rubicon has much more than the OP listed; it has thicker axles and axle shafts, bigger diffs to handle larger tires, better gearing, better tcase, high clearance fenders, skid plates etc... if you plan on buying a sport and putting Dana 60s, high clearance fenders, better transfer case, skid plates etc you’ll be well over $7k in the axles alone. And you still need a lift. The axles in a sport can’t the abuse of 35+ inch tires off-road.

Being that Rubicons can run 35s with no modifications and 37s with little modification, maintain drivability and perform off-road more than majority of drivers can handle, I’d say it’s well worth the extra money. I really don’t know why people lie to themselves about the value of a Rubicon. Granted, if you don’t need what a Rubicon offers, then don’t buy one. Sports are plenty capable to do whatever you’d really like. But to say it’s not worth it because you’re lifting it and changing tires is mind numbingly stupid. Not to mention resale being a ton better, if that even matters to you.

OP, no one can answer if it’s worth it, to you. It’s your money. However, the Rubicon is well worth the extra coin when you factor in the capabilities it offers and the features off-road goodies it has related to its cost.
Perhaps if you have 37 inch tires or bigger on the freeway. I've *never* experienced brake fade on the trail, and I've been up and down the sides of mountains in 5 states with hundreds and hundreds of lbs of gear. So maybe it's a driver issue.

There is no difference in thickness in axle tubes between the Sport and Rubicon. Not in the JL. The Rubicon axles are 1.5 inches longer. That's the only difference (besides the D30 the sport gets in front). So to say JL Sport axles can't take 35 inch tires off road? That came right out of your ass.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Reading this basically sold me, now to increase my savings
Except he’s incorrect for most of it. He’s incorrect on axle thickness, shafts, etc. that’s all incorrect knowledge right there. Bigger brakes is irrelevant unless your towing or running 37’s at 60mph down the Grand Canyonlol. The sport S will suit you just fine. And you can sure as hell regear and add front and rear lockers for way under 7k.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
My biggest regret buying the TJ new in 05 was not getting the RUBI. I bought an X and still love it however on the trails the 3.07 gear ratio resulted in a lot of feathering of the clutch. My uncle and two cousins all had RUBI's and it was a night and day difference crawling over obstacles. I felt feathering the clutch was dangerous for our spotters call me a novice but it lunged at times and was a lot of work. Same obstacles for a RUBI were cake :/ I never had the dough for a whole axle swap, regear and lockers. No questions asked I bought the Rubicon this go round and am stoked, its about to ship...

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting patiently for the shit storm to arrive:

"Get a Rubi its the most capable out of the box" (no shit)
"Get a Sport you can build it how you want it" (no shit)

Rubi owners: "Most capable out of the box"
Sport owners: "Built not bought"

Okay I've pretty much summed up the next 45 pages...

Close thread.

LOL

204.gif

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
[
Perhaps if you have 37 inch tires or bigger on the freeway. I've *never* experienced brake fade on the trail, and I've been up and down the sides of mountains in 5 states with hundreds and hundreds of lbs of gear. So maybe it's a driver issue.

There is no difference in thickness in axle tubes between the Sport and Rubicon. Not in the JL. The Rubicon axles are 1.5 inches longer. That's the only difference (besides the D30 the sport gets in front). So to say JL Sport axles can't take 35 inch tires off road? That came right out of your ass.
Except he’s incorrect for most of it. He’s incorrect on axle thickness, shafts, etc. that’s all incorrect knowledge right there. Bigger brakes is irrelevant unless your towing or running 37’s at 60mph down the Grand Canyonlol. The sport S will suit you just fine. And you can sure as hell regear and add front and rear lockers for way under 7k.
Oh but except Im not incorrect. The inner axle shafts are bigger and have a higher spline count, and ring gear is larger. Brakes make a big difference when you have a low gear transfer case. The 4:1 tcase, 4.10 gears and stock tires you have to stand on the brakes to keep the Jeep still. If you don’t think brakes make a difference then why in the world did Jeep put them on the Rubicon? Honestly the dumbest argument of brakes I’ve heard in awhile! They only matter if you’re towing?!! Hahahaha Just because you haven’t burnt your brakes up doesn’t mean larger ones won’t be beneficial.

A Rubicon wasn’t worth it to you guys, which is perfectly fine. Not everyone needs or can justify the cost. A sport is plenty capable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Seems like breaking axles and housings is really about how you drive as much as what size tire and whether you rock crawl or trail ride. A guy that is careful driving is less likely to break something. I guy flying thru either the desert trails or rocks is likely to break something sooner or later, regardless of what equipment he has or where he drives.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Unlike what he claims, the Sport is also fine with 35" tires.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Seems like breaking axles and housings is really about how you drive as much as what size tire and whether you rock crawl or trail ride. A guy that is careful driving is less likely to break something. I guy flying thru either the desert trails or rocks is likely to break something sooner or later, regardless of what equipment he has or where he drives.

And flies don’t eat ants.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
My biggest regret buying the TJ new in 05 was not getting the RUBI. I bought an X and still love it however on the trails the 3.07 gear ratio resulted in a lot of feathering of the clutch. My uncle and two cousins all had RUBI's and it was a night and day difference crawling over obstacles. I felt feathering the clutch was dangerous for our spotters call me a novice but it lunged at times and was a lot of work. Same obstacles for a RUBI were cake :/ I never had the dough for a whole axle swap, regear and lockers. No questions asked I bought the Rubicon this go round and am stoked, its about to ship...
Good point. There was a big difference crawling in my Sport compared to a trailmate that had a Rubi. I had to work the clutch and lurched and stalled here and there. My trailmate just put it in first, took his feet off all the pedals, and steered.

Not enough to make me wish I had a Rubi and I will be a better driver long term for it. but I don't think anyone doubts a Rubi is better when crawling. That's a "water is wet" kind of thing.