Sponsored

Stop me if you heard this before: Sport+ vs Rubi

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Lol I guess we would be banned at this point then hahaha
Yea... myself included. I am sure i have stated and re-stated a whole bunch of other people’s wisdom on these forums. Guess the only standing rules might/should be if you are being an @sshole = ban for a few days. Like one of these cool-down period type things hahahaha!
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
While they're planning on their mods and shop time; searching for credit card offers and getting a second mortgage; I can go buy the ruby, slap some 35's on it and let it rub all over while running almost all the trails in Moab. (hella run on sentence)

You want to do all that crap or start having fun now?

Coilovers and Dana 60's sound awesome. But we're going wheeling in an hour.

Easy choice for me.

Go have capable rig now and have fun.

Do mods as needed.
Yup, this is what it came down to for me as well. I barely have time to wheel, much less build a jeep then wheel - oh, and how am I getting to work while my Jeep is not being worked on by me? I’m not.

People can get on their “built not bought” high horses all day but when you work 80+ hours a week you really couldn’t care less about that shit. My 24 hours off on Saturday are precious and I’d rather spend them outdoors wheeling than trying to wrench on my Jeep. I did that enough with my YJ and never got to really enjoy it.

Maybe when I’m retired.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I went the sport route. In my opinion it depends on how many bells and whistles you want. I got an absolute base model sport. Manual everything including transmission. The only option I had to have was tow pkg and punkn paint. Found the one I wanted for 30,200. I've got about 6500 in a set of Rubi take off axles including lockers and bigger brakes, upgraded with rcv axles, front and rear trusses, 5.13 gears, diff covers and skids.
All together I've got probably 15k in parts but most of that is money I still would have spent on a Rubi. (Lift, wheels, 37s, etc.)
If you get a manual and go past 35s you'll probably want to regear anyway. And the 5.13s give me almost the same crawl ratio as an auto Rubi. I plan on eventually tracking down a Rubi transfer case and then my low range will be insane.
If resale is a big factor then Rubi takes that argument hands down but I bought my Jeep to build it up and drive it until the wheels fall off, then build it again.
Side note: I got a jks lift that came with the quick disconnects, and my lockers are hardwired into my factory aux switches so I don't have any of the "nanny" devices that rubicons come with. I can use any of my equipment however I feel like using it.

IMG_20190517_185209_814.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I went the sport route. In my opinion it depends on how many bells and whistles you want. I got an absolute base model sport. Manual everything including transmission. The only option I had to have was tow pkg and punkn paint. Found the one I wanted for 30,200. I've got about 6500 in a set of Rubi take off axles including lockers and bigger brakes, upgraded with rcv axles, front and rear trusses, 5.13 gears, diff covers and skids.
All together I've got probably 15k in parts but most of that is money I still would have spent on a Rubi. (Lift, wheels, 37s, etc.)
If you get a manual and go past 35s you'll probably want to regear anyway. And the 5.13s give me almost the same crawl ratio as an auto Rubi. I plan on eventually tracking down a Rubi transfer case and then my low range will be insane.
If resale is a big factor then Rubi takes that argument hands down but I bought my Jeep to build it up and drive it until the wheels fall off, then build it again.
Side note: I got a jks lift that came with the quick disconnects, and my lockers are hardwired into my factory aux switches so I don't have any of the "nanny" devices that rubicons come with. I can use any of my equipment however I feel like using it.

Sweet rig brother.... I also wired lockers to aux switches within days of picking it up from dealer. One of my first mods, couldn’t stand being told when and how I can use my shit, lol.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase

Sidebar, whose truss did you install?

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Yup, this is what it came down to for me as well. I barely have time to wheel, much less build a jeep then wheel - oh, and how am I getting to work while my Jeep is not being worked on by me? I’m not.

People can get on their “built not bought” high horses all day but when you work 80+ hours a week you really couldn’t care less about that shit. My 24 hours off on Saturday are precious and I’d rather spend them outdoors wheeling than trying to wrench on my Jeep. I did that enough with my YJ and never got to really enjoy it.

Maybe when I’m retired.
If you can't install axles and a lift in a weekend you shouldn't be wheeling anyways :) :) :D :D :D Seriously its a one time deal. Its not like your going to be installing shit every weekend for 5 years.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner

Awesome Rig.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If you can't install axles and a lift in a weekend you shouldn't be wheeling anyways :) :) :D :D :D Seriously its a one time deal. Its not like your going to be installing shit every weekend for 5 years.
Well, I probably couldn’t install them in a weekend because I don’t have the tools or space necessary. But assuming I did, are you suggesting that I could build up a base JL that:

-is as reliable as my JLR (because if it’s not, it’ll take more than one weekend to work on and I have to be at work 5-6 days a week)
-is more capable than my JLR (because if its as capable or less capable, what’s the point)
-costs less than $40k (because time is money and vice versa)?

Points 1 and 3 ain’t happening. Point 2, sure that could happen.

The main reason I got rid of my YJ was because of how much time I had to invest fixing problems that were 90% related to mods done by previous owners. And sure, maybe if those mods were done better I wouldn’t have had so many issues but that comes at a price.

The Rubicon trim level makes a lot of sense for a lot of people. It’s something you can daily drive without too many compromises but is still more capable than any other vehicle from the factory within arm’s reach of its MSRP. This is why it’s so popular and made sense for me.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet rig brother.... I also wired lockers to aux switches within days of picking it up from dealer. One of my first mods, couldn’t stand being told when and how I can use my shit, lol.
Did you get rid of the factory switches? And did you change the setup on your sway bar disconnect switch? Obviously I didn’t have any of that to worry about. Just curious.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get rid of the factory switches? And did you change the setup on your sway bar disconnect switch? Obviously I didn’t have any of that to worry about. Just curious.
Factory switch is still in, in case I need to go back to factory setup for some reason. I have the factory wires water proofed and tied up out of harms way. and sway bar I left alone because I’m usually not going fast enough for it to reconnect. I have the tazer jl mini installed and I can kill the nannies for the sway bar with it if I need to. I can also use it to use lockers in 2wd and 4h but it sometimes takes a minute or two to engage and disengage, wired to switches is a lot quicker response. It helps because I sometimes need to lock or unlock front in the middle of a maneuver and it sucks to have to stop and wait, lol.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
This thread is about people wanting to justify buying a lesser vehicle and adding or moding it. Again your choice.
I prefer to have all the sway bars gears lockers all up front and don't have to void any warranty to have it. I don't off road so it's more it's their if I want it. I may do some light trails.
But adding all the stuff after market is great (WILL IT PAY A RETURN ON RESALE)?

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
...I don't off road so it's more it's their if I want it. I may do some light trails.
But adding all the stuff after market is great (WILL IT PAY A RETURN ON RESALE)?
So you paid $10,000 more for high fenders and hood stickers?

And your saying sport owners are trying to justify....

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
So you paid $10,000 more for high fenders and hood stickers?

And your saying sport owners are trying to justify....
Don't forget to add lockers, sway bar disconnect, high finders, 33in tires, better suspension, gearing. So yes I payed 10k more.
And don't forget my AWESOME STICKERS
And that my take off parts sell, your take off part get tossed.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I also wanted something I could just take and wheel and put very little money into, daily drive, and then just transfer my mods over to the next one after my lease is up. Nothing crazy. Small lift, 37's. $500 p/m no money down (MSRP was $60k) and ~$5k in mods and I'm wheeling everywhere. If I break something, I'll fix it. My Jeep never hits the dealership anyway. Have the 09 for the crazy shit.

I could have bought a Sport S, but to get everything on the Rubicon, even with take offs, it would have been quite a bit more, resale value would be very low in comparison, and I know I wasn't going to keep this long term anyway. So for me, the Rubicon made sense. Even if I was going to buy it, and not lease it -- I still think I'd get the Rubicon instead of the Sport S as I'm betting total cost of ownership is lower. If I were replacing axles -- that's when I would go back to a Sport S.
Sponsored

Last edited: