Sponsored

Stop complaining about the red dash in the Rubicon!

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
I like the flat red in mine..

20180210_170732.jpg
Sponsored

tied

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara 4xe
I just received my red rubicon JL and really don't mind the matte red dash. However, after I got it home (I picked it up on a gloomy day), noticed this shiny "smudge" on the passenger side. Anyone have any ideas how to care for this new matte material or if this panel has been damaged permanently. I picked it up from an out of state dealer a full day drive away, so if I can't figure it out myself I'll have to try to get it warrantied or something locally (which I'm not looking forward to doing) as they'll probably just blame me and tell me to pound sand, but the thing is brand new off the lot, hopefully they would help me out.

Hopefully, someone who is good at detailing will know some magic to get rid of that sheen.

IMG_5532.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

hanschien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hopefully, someone who is good at detailing will know some magic to get rid of that sheen.
Mine also had what looked like a smudge, almost like someone placed their oily forehead on the dash lol. I just cleaned if off with a clorox wipe.

kholding

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Hopefully it's just something oily on there causing the sheen. I would try a degreaser to see it it removes it. Unfortunately, it may be that someone tried buffing it or rubbing it really hard which can "shine" some matte materials permanently. Once it gets smoothed out a little, it loses the matte effect.

This adds to my curiosity about how well that dash will hold up to everyday bumps/scrapes.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I'm seeing many posts in many threads about the red dash panel.

Some people are actually thinking about changing to a different body color so it will coordinate.

Others are recommending ordering the tan interior then buy Katzkin leather seat covers to cover the tan seats. Really?

People, just order the Rubicon in the color you like/want! You can order the gray dash panel from Jeep or get an aftermarket panel in the color you like. With all the outcry, the aftermarket will most certainly create replacements in a multitude of colors. It's a Jeep after all. Mods are expected. :)

The dash panel is not the dash of a 1970 CJ, which is part of the sheet metal body. The panel is a part, it can be changed out. And it will cost less than leather seat covers.

As soon as people receive their Rubicons, there will be threads posted on how to change the panel. It's not body work. It will be a matter of disassembling a few pieces and replacing with the color of your choice.

Don't let the red dash panel influence your decisions.
From what I’ve seen, the red dash looks great, IMO.

Sponsored

tied

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara 4xe
Mine also had what looked like a smudge, almost like someone placed their oily forehead on the dash lol. I just cleaned if off with a clorox wipe.
Interesting, was yours also on the passenger dash? I wonder if one of the factory stickers adhesive caused it. Did the Clorox wipe have any effect on the matte-ness of it or does it look just like the rest once it dried out?

jayp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
I will be looking forward to a Rubicon minus all the BS red accents in the future. Why should us people that don't like red have to put up with it or modify away from it when the vehicle cost that much. It's like only offering one or two exterior colors no thanks.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I wonder what the odds are that 2019+ Rubicon will have the red dash, accents, etc...

I maybe off base here, but I think the 2018 JL Rubicon might end up being the 15th anniversary edition.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I will be looking forward to a Rubicon minus all the BS red accents in the future. Why should us people that don't like red have to put up with it or modify away from it when the vehicle cost that much. It's like only offering one or two exterior colors no thanks.
The top trim level enthusiast versions of a lot of cars have some kind of color themed accents.
You can barely tell my JKUR is a Rubicon from the inside. The Rubicon name is written in much smaller letters on the hood and the seats have the same stitched in the same black color. Even the off-road buttons are kinda hidden.

Sponsored

ROMEO JL

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL UNLIMITED
It's not that easy to just pop and swap out on the passenger side. Remember your PAB is tied in with that panel.

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Personally love the red and am still hoping to swap with someone for it.

hipfan39

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK 2 door willys, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Welder
Vehicle Showcase
Well i wonder when we can switch out the red...

C839DE22-28EB-44E3-BDDA-2C77E5196333.jpeg

jayp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
Well i wonder when we can switch out the red...

C839DE22-28EB-44E3-BDDA-2C77E5196333.jpeg
Are you just being arrogant? Hard to say with a picture and a one liner. I want a Rubicon with a black dash like the lower Sahara in your picture. When I got my 2014 Rubicon I got a regular Rubicon because I didn't want red all over everything. Really it's the red dash that kills it for me. I can deal with the red on other stuff. In this forum I saw someone had the dealership get the dash painted for them same as exterior granite crystal I think it was. Looked really good. Anyways It shouldn't be black interior and red dash and only way around it is to get the tan interior. Only other option I saw for Rubicon was Green exterior paint deletes red dash lol. Jeep just give Rubicon purchasers a black dash option.

If i was to order today I would just get a Rubicon with cloth seats, paint the dash with high quality paint and go to leatherseats.com and get leather for the same price as factory minus the red. I am waiting for a diesel anyways so I hope that there are more options by then too. More exterior color options would be cool too. First year is just more limited and I get it I will just have to wait. I'd like to see that tank color again or something similar.

Anyways the people like me that don't want a red dash shouldn't have to just deal with it or have someone titling a forum to silence people that disagree with their color liking. lol
Sponsored