Sponsored

Stop complaining about the red dash in the Rubicon!

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I'm seeing many posts in many threads about the red dash panel.

Some people are actually thinking about changing to a different body color so it will coordinate.

Others are recommending ordering the tan interior then buy Katzkin leather seat covers to cover the tan seats. Really?

People, just order the Rubicon in the color you like/want! You can order the gray dash panel from Jeep or get an aftermarket panel in the color you like. With all the outcry, the aftermarket will most certainly create replacements in a multitude of colors. It's a Jeep after all. Mods are expected. :)

The dash panel is not the dash of a 1970 CJ, which is part of the sheet metal body. The panel is a part, it can be changed out. And it will cost less than leather seat covers.

As soon as people receive their Rubicons, there will be threads posted on how to change the panel. It's not body work. It will be a matter of disassembling a few pieces and replacing with the color of your choice.

Don't let the red dash panel influence your decisions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

5BEE4D1C-5F91-418F-8DC3-B182AF0C5BEE.jpeg

Amen! With how many parts us future JL owners are already discussing about modifying, changing the dash trim will be about the easiest and cheapest mods we make.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm seeing many posts in many threads about the red dash panel.

Some people are actually thinking about changing to a different body color so it will coordinate.

Others are recommending ordering the tan interior then buy Katzkin leather seat covers to cover the tan seats. Really?

People, just order the Rubicon in the color you like/want! You can order the gray dash panel from Jeep or get an aftermarket panel in the color you like. With all the outcry, the aftermarket will most certainly create replacements in a multitude of colors. It's a Jeep after all. Mods are expected. :)

The dash panel is not the dash of a 1970 CJ, which is part of the sheet metal body. The panel is a part, it can be changed out. And it will cost less than leather seat covers.

As soon as people receive their Rubicons, there will be threads posted on how to change the panel. It's not body work. It will be a matter of disassembling a few pieces and replacing with the color of your choice.

Don't let the red dash panel influence your decisions.
Wait, are you the Wrangler head designer that signed off on the red dash insert?

It does look hideous with certain body colors that are clearly viewable from the interior. What is Jeep thinking? Give us black with colors as options. After spending $45k + I wouldn't want my yellow rubi looking like a Happy Meal toy Jeep.

Sponsored

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
I honestly think the red dash is the reason that the only exterior colors available to pre order were black, white, silver, gray, and red. All the colors that won't clash with a red dash.

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And for the record, I ordered billet with tan leather. Sometimes wish I had ordered black leather to get the red dash because I think it would look pretty sweet against the billet exterior. But that Texas sun on black leather is no bueno.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
In the walk around video with jeep designer Mark Allen he states @9:45 the rubi dash can be ordered in anodized red or grey.

Can the grey dash (he called it mid bolster) be ordered with black interior? Did he misspoke? Red with black only. Grey with tan only?

Reactions: Gus

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
He said you can order either one. Bottom line.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I didnt have an option on color on my order...and if I am paing 50+k for a vehicle I dont want it to have a red dash so yes I will complain!

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
He said you can order either one. Bottom line.
Yes he did but it's more about what he didn't say. He didn't say you can order either one at the expense of the interior color you want. We shall see. Either way it's a simple swap for Jeep or the customer.

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didnt have an option on color on my order...and if I am paing 50+k for a vehicle I dont want it to have a red dash so yes I will complain!
It's the risk we all ran ordering sight unseen. I'll concede that "bizarre red dashboard" may not have been a risk anybody might have reasonably thought they were undertaking. But if you don't like it, have your dealer order another one with the black dash. They're not gonna have any trouble moving the JL you ordered. Or just pop that red piece off and plasti dip it. Not the end of the world.

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
And for the record, I ordered billet with tan leather. Sometimes wish I had ordered black leather to get the red dash because I think it would look pretty sweet against the billet exterior. But that Texas sun on black leather is no bueno.
I just ordered a red JL with black interior (even though the "no bueno" part) so maybe we just might be able to swap your silver for my red!

Kurt in H-Town (adjacent)

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I honestly think the red dash is the reason that the only exterior colors available to pre order were black, white, silver, gray, and red. All the colors that won't clash with a red dash.
This is exactly what I was thinking. And it gives me some hope that by then they will offer a different color dash to better fit with those body colors.
Sponsored