Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hahaha

That’s some old underwear!
@MORTON

Yup, very old... been in there 55 years waiting to be washed. :CWL: Do you think if I wash them the warranty on them will be no good?
Sponsored

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Can you still deposit oil behind Autozones/etc? Or Pepboys? I've been moving a tub of oil for 3 years because I haven't felt like dealing with it. I remember some autoshop having a dump tube when I was a kid. I used to do the oil on my 600hp BMW because I didn't trust anyone.. But I kinda bought my Jeep to not have to deal with a picky-as-hell and tempermental owners experience like what I had.

This is almost like a hiring lawn care argument. Some people just don't have equal amounts of time or interest and expect a "professional" to do it right if its their actual profession. I mean, I'll straight up say there are far better mechanics than me out there And FAR more meticulous ones. I happily pay them for their expertise and ability to re-use every bolt and not resort to zipties.

The Jeep wave thing is basically "this is cool, least I don't have to waste part of my Saturday off dealing with an oil change.."
I had a 15 gallon barrel almost full of used oil. I found a guy on Craigslist that burns it as fuel in his old diesel truck. I called him and told him to bring buckets and it was his. Next time the barrels full, I'll call him again.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Oil analysis does not tell specific age of oil based on miles or time. There are way to many variables. I do extensive oil testing annually on my twin 250hp Diesel Hino's in my 45' motoryacht, that does not determine the age of the oil but the particles in the oil which relates to overall engine conditions. Can they determine the condition of the oil? yes but not when it was changed or how many miles or hours or anything regarding prior changes.

Also documenting oil changes is not only about the current oil but all past as well, that is what the OEM will need.
I took a Ford Contour in for an oil change after forgetting to get one for about 20,000 miles or so. They could tell the oil was old, don’t know if they analyzed it though...:blush:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I took a Ford Contour in for an oil change after forgetting to get one for about 20,000 miles or so. They could tell the oil was old, don’t know if they analyzed it though...:blush:
Oil analysis only determines condition not age/miles/hours, Additionally some engine issues can cause oil to appear aged prematurely.

Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
You should have bet this dumbass something.
I can't even start with regards to the Jeep service department. I have free oil changes also, but I wouldn't trust theses people to put even the correct oil weight or the type required by FCA. Its and issue of warranty if you change your own oil. Please keep your receipts so you can prove the recommended oil was used so your warranty won't be voided. Yes there is a mind set that 6 quarts are used with filter change. Perhaps an aggressive training program needs to be instituted by FCA. I had a problem with a Toyota I owned. I brought it in for and oil change and noted that the oil filter looked dirty and not new. The next time I went in I put some blue tape on the filter. After the oil was changed I hoped the hood, and low and behold the tape was still there. The service managed was apologetic but it doesn't correct the number of customer who have been screwed (and probably are today) by this dealership.

Kheroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU Rubicon
After having this issue at the first dealership I went to and arguing with way too many people because they were actually trying to prove that their computer system was right and my owner manual was wrong...I decided to no longer give that dealership my business and went to a highly recommended dealership in the area instead. They were very transparent with me and agreed that yes the JL takes 5 quarts and they showed me their system which agreed with the owners manual. Not sure if this is a new update that is making its way though dealerships for their service data but I hope it makes it out to more places soon!

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Yep. That’s why I do my own oil changes. As others have said, easy to document.

I also rotate my own tires. Watching those “techs” at Discount Tire work on my vehicle, makes me want to punch a kitten. Got the pleasure of changing broken wheel stud on the wife’s JK after they balanced tires last time.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yea, for anyone reading this and feeling insecure about not changing their own oil: don't sweat it. Don't let people on the internet make you feel a certain a way. I've always taken my cars in because it's never just for an oil change; it's usually also inspection, recall, whatever. Might as well get it all at once, and I know and trust the people at my local dealership. For every negative, chest-banging post on the internet, there are way more positive, understanding sentiments out there. Do what you want to do.

this wins, end of thread.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'll just drop this here, straight from the FTC website.

"Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty."

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

"Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty."
I love listening to the finance guy at the stealership explaining why you need to buy their extended warranty and maintenance plan. Then I just bring up the Magnuson-Moss act and tell them no thank you. Really pisses them off.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

You still have to prove it was done and when

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious what @JeepCares has to say about the people who ran 6 quarts of oil for any length of time. I guarantee every dollar I have if they were able to prove I put 6 quarts in it they would never warranty the engine again but of course since they did it the service manager tells me it's no big deal..

I had a problem with a Toyota I owned. I brought it in for and oil change and noted that the oil filter looked dirty and not new. The next time I went in I put some blue tape on the filter. After the oil was changed I hoped the hood, and low and behold the tape was still there. The service managed was apologetic but it doesn't correct the number of customer who have been screwed (and probably are today) by this dealership.
This reminds me, In addition to my 6 quart oil changes, one time I brought my JK to a sister dealership for the oil change and tire rotation (and it wasn't free). Pick the Jeep up and a couple days I notice my very specific nail I have in my tire is in the same spot despite them saying they performed the oil change and rotated the tires. Such utter B.S. as they are charging you for money and not doing the service which to me is blatant theft. Then it makes you wonder...did they change the oil? The filter? Did they just park it in the garage for 2 hours then tell me it's ready without doing anything? I have 1 more "free" oil change and rotation and my rear view defroster broke but I have no interest in bringing it to them.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Aren't these using the algorithm to estimate oil life and thus OCI? And doesn't it vary some depending upon useage, temp, rpm, idle time etc?

So assuming they did believe DIY or even if you had service records...what would they want to see for OCI's, or average number of oil changes over a given number of miles?

I purchased my '05 Canyon new and it first told me to change the oil at 10,320 (let's not get into a debate about OCI's)...but point being if they would accept 10k OCI's you're only talking ~5 oil changes before the 60k warranty is gone.
Sponsored