Sponsored

Stood and argued with the service dept for 5 minutes over maximum quarts of oil

Harrington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler
I told them the new JL only takes 5 quarts of oil and they insisted it takes 6. I said please look it up. They have been putting in 6 quarts on every oil change they have done. Unbelievable that the service dept doesn’t know this.
Sponsored

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (Leslie), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Land Raider)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares seems like a recurring issue for multiple people. Anyway you could relay it to corporate to send out a memo to correct this internally?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Pennzoil Oil and a decent filter to do the oil change costs about $16.00 total, if you take advantage of Pennzoil's rebate promotion.

Oil change on a JL is so easy a friggin 13yo girl or boy can do it....

Driving to a dealership for them to blow smoke up your ass in regard to a JL, oil change, will cost you headaches, gas $, time sitting there, risk of damage to your JL and more..

Amazes me that a guy or a gal that has a Wrangler has to have some nitwits change their oil for them. What to save a few bucks...

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I told them the new JL only takes 5 quarts of oil and they insisted it takes 6. I said please look it up. They have been putting in 6 quarts on every oil change they have done. Unbelievable that the service dept doesn’t know this.
You should have bet this dumbass something.

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Pennzoil Oil and a decent filter to do the oil change costs about $16.00 total, if you take advantage of Pennzoil's rebate promotion.

Oil change on a JL is so easy a friggin 13yo girl or boy can do it....

Driving to a dealership for them to blow smoke up your ass in regard to a JL, oil change, will cost you headaches, gas $, time sitting there, risk of damage to your JL and more..

Amazes me that a guy or a gal that has a Wrangler has to have some nitwits change their oil for them. What to save a few bucks...

While I agree, my time is very limited with work and preparing to welcome a baby girl in the world and once she’s here, it’ll be even less. I don’t want to lay in the ground and get oil on me if I don’t have to, especially with free oil changes. However, this is now what I’m going to do as of my last issue with an oil change. It’s unfortunate but you’re right, it’s super easy! But I still think it’s ridiculous we should be forced to do it cause the dealers can’t figure out something “so easy a 13yr old girl or boy can do it” hahahahaha

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
While I agree, my time is very limited with work and preparing to welcome a baby girl in the world and once she’s here, it’ll be even less. I don’t want to lay in the ground and get oil on me if I don’t have to, especially with free oil changes. However, this is now what I’m going to do as of my last issue with an oil change. It’s unfortunate but you’re right, it’s super easy! But I still think it’s ridiculous we should be forced to do it cause the dealers can’t figure out something “so easy a 13yr old girl or boy can do it” hahahahaha
I changed mine yesterday. It took less than 10 minutes, and magically my Jeep now has **5** quarts of Mobil One running through it for $34 (with filter, Autozone promotion).

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
No one is denying the ease of it. And sure it’s 10 mins to change it, then you have to dispose of it properly, clean the catch pan, never mind the time to get the oil and filter. I was at the dealer for 25 mins. Difference in the time is negligible.

Look, point is, I realize the level of ease the oil change is. I realize it’s not THAT much time. Point is, we shouldn’t have to. But it’s the reality we are faced with. As I said, I’ll be doing my own from here on out, it’s just pretty pathetic.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can you still deposit oil behind Autozones/etc? Or Pepboys? I've been moving a tub of oil for 3 years because I haven't felt like dealing with it. I remember some autoshop having a dump tube when I was a kid. I used to do the oil on my 600hp BMW because I didn't trust anyone.. But I kinda bought my Jeep to not have to deal with a picky-as-hell and tempermental owners experience like what I had.

This is almost like a hiring lawn care argument. Some people just don't have equal amounts of time or interest and expect a "professional" to do it right if its their actual profession. I mean, I'll straight up say there are far better mechanics than me out there And FAR more meticulous ones. I happily pay them for their expertise and ability to re-use every bolt and not resort to zipties.

The Jeep wave thing is basically "this is cool, least I don't have to waste part of my Saturday off dealing with an oil change.."

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
There's the typical killer rebates on Mobil stuff right now. You can get M1 for a few pennies over $2/qt if you purchase at WM (if you want to avoid WM and the Walmartians, I get it!). Autozone has a decent M1 deal going right now, too.

It seems unclear if you can stack the Mobil (manufacturer) rebate with the AZ rebate

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Can you still deposit oil behind Autozones/etc? Or Pepboys? I've been moving a tub of oil for 3 years because I haven't felt like dealing with it. I remember some autoshop having a dump tube when I was a kid. I used to do the oil on my 600hp BMW because I didn't trust anyone.. But I kinda bought my Jeep to not have to deal with a picky-as-hell and tempermental owners experience like what I had.

This is almost like a hiring lawn care argument. Some people just don't have equal amounts of time or interest and expect a "professional" to do it right if its their actual profession. I mean, I'll straight up say there are far better mechanics than me out there And FAR more meticulous ones. I happily pay them for their expertise and ability to re-use every bolt and not resort to zipties.

The Jeep wave thing is basically "this is cool, least I don't have to waste part of my Saturday off dealing with an oil change.."
There may be state law variations but 90% of the AutoZones and O'Reillys in CO will take waste oil. Also my local Grease Monkey and Jiffy take just about everything including waste coolant. Brake fluid can go in with waste oil.

You have to enter through the stores. Most AutoZones are SOOO understaffed because they subscribe to the WM payroll philosophy (ie don't hire anyone and you won't have to pay anyone) I just walk back like I own the place, pour and walk out. The ONE person trying to answer 5 phone lines whilst simultaneously helping a line at the counter never sees me.

They also have a separate bin for old oil filters - please don't throw oil filters in the trash

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I agree, that changing the oil in the JL is "KIDS STUFF"--BUT

Being the NEW EDITION of the jeep, now run by FCA--It's a good idea to have the DEALER do the first couple of changes--BECAUSE then YOUR JL IS ON FCA/CHRYSLER COMPUTER DATA BASE-- and any problems that YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT/OR RECALLS/OR TBS will be noted and you'll have RECORD BACKGROUND for any problems---!

W.E.

JIMBO

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, for anyone reading this and feeling insecure about not changing their own oil: don't sweat it. Don't let people on the internet make you feel a certain a way. I've always taken my cars in because it's never just for an oil change; it's usually also inspection, recall, whatever. Might as well get it all at once, and I know and trust the people at my local dealership. For every negative, chest-banging post on the internet, there are way more positive, understanding sentiments out there. Do what you want to do.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I keep ignoring the reminder mail I get from Jeep to take advantage of my free “Jeep Wave” oil changes.
Sponsored