RubiconIsland

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited 2.0
Hi,

my JLUR is just around 5 weeks in use, 2800km, but my Door Hinges look like its 10 years old.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stone Chips at Door Hinges 1617636892712

Jeep Wrangler JL Stone Chips at Door Hinges 1617636957487

It's the lower ones on both rear doors. As I won't change my driving style or terrain, I wonder what I can do about it. Cause if it goes on like this there won't be any color left after a year..
Sponsored

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Someone makes 3m protector for it the big thing is now you exposed the aluminum and this wranglers have big problem with corrosion of the hinges with the paint on

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you are OCD like me, have them repainted at a body shop and then wrapped in 3m clear vinyl. That is the cleanest solution IMO, but if you do not mind the bulky covers then there are black plastic covers that bolt over the door hinges. (I would post a link but I am not sure if that is allowed because I am not sure if they are a sponsor?)

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
After I saw my first chip like that, I wrapped my hinge faces with clear bra material. I had a roll of 4" wide material I used to line the door sills laying around so I just took my time and cut it to cover those areas. No new dings after that, and other than taking a few hours to cut and apply all 8 of them to the right size it was pretty easy to do. If they get chewed up I can just peel them off and replace.

OP
OP
RubiconIsland

RubiconIsland

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited 2.0
Already ordered a Kit to fix the paint. Will do that every Sunday till I have a long term solution..
Thought about using red liquid rubber there.
Also wondered if closed rock rails would fix it, so stones would simply not get there. Normally wanted some in pipe design but I guess that would even be worse for the paint in the lower area.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Already ordered a Kit to fix the paint. Will do that every Sunday till I have a long term solution..
Thought about using red liquid rubber there.
Also wondered if closed rock rails would fix it, so stones would simply not get there. Normally wanted some in pipe design but I guess that would even be worse for the paint in the lower area.
Volcanic rock is hell on paint, as you probably already know. I have 21k miles, alot of it on gravel roads and my tires stick way out in relation to yours, I only have one paint chip on the hinges that comes anywhere close to yours. Rock rails help, but some 3M clear film you can replace is probably the best bet as others have stated above.

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
I bought some Rokblocks mudflaps. Easy install and they come off easy too. They don't look terrible and keep the rocks from hitting my rear door, hinges and rear fender. Will work until I lift it and get some wide slider steps to keep it from happening.

https://rokblokz.com/collections/jeep-mud-flaps

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Rokblokz or some wide sidesteps will keep this from happening. I got the side steps for this reason alone, I hate having to step over them but I hear rocks smack them hard on the bottom at least once a week.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
I just applied the clear paint protection film on all of mine. Takes maybe 5 minutes per hinge! 35000 miles on it and its still new.

calbake

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a combination of RokBlokz mud flaps, side steps, and 3M clear vinyl over the fronts of the hinges. The mud flaps definitely made the biggest difference, but the other two give some extra peace of mind. My hinges got pretty torn up in just the first few weeks of ownership before I did any of this.
Sponsored