Stolen 2021 JLURD

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Thieves steal Wranglers by sniffing the Keyless FOB's signal and then using another device to retransmit the FOB's signal to get into your rig and drive away... here is an article about... you will find many online...

https://www.ksat.com/news/2019/03/1...g-technology-to-hack-key-fobs-steal-vehicles/

This little pouch called a "Faraday Cage" will prevent thugs from stealing the signal

https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-Protectors-Anti-Tracking-Blocking-Protection/dp/B08RNL64QL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=93LIX6T7CC5S&dchild=1&keywords=key+fob+faraday&qid=1628525779&sprefix=keyfog+far,aps,236&sr=8-7
Wouldn't the thief only sniff the signal when you're pressing a button? If you're walking around, the keyfob isn't constantly transmitting, right? Therefore, you would need to remove the remote from the faraday cage pouch and then the signal can be sniffed.

Or if it's constantly transmitting due to the keyless start/running, then you still can't put it in the pouch or else the Jeep won't get far.

I think the only solution would be for Jeep to develop a stronger algorithm to prevent this from happening.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
If you're worried, just pull the fuel pump fuse when you get out. It's free, takes less than a minute, and installation of this theft deterrent is totally reversible.
A great trick is to replace it with a fake fuse that looks like it is not blown, but doesn't even work. I wonder it they make something like this?

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
[Chance575, wrote this while you posted, we think alike! :)]

Speculating, haven't tried, ymmv:

You could cut off one of the contacts from a "real" fuse, flush with the bottom of the plastic. The remaining contact would hold the fuse in place. The only way to really tell if it was not complete would be to pull it out.

Time is the enemy of most thieves. Most will move on if it looks like it's going to be difficult to start, i.e., taking more time. If a prospective car Wrangler thief has time to check the fuses in this level of detail, you've parked in a sub-optimal place.

ON THE OTHER HAND, while I was living in Berlin, my company car was stolen off the street in front of my apartment, likely by the typical tow truck in use over there: A flatbed truck with a crane that lifts the four wheels. My M-B (a lemon by the way) was likely lifted, put on the truck, and taken to a garage where they could work to start the car without being seen. After that, it was a short trip to Poland...c. 1990

Every negative has a positive, you just have to look for it: I replaced that stuffy mouse-grey M-B sedan with a beautiful BMW 520, also a company car. I came out waaaay ahead!!!

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Another really cheap/easy (but potentially annoying) solution for those who park in a public lot/parking garage like this: just air your tires down. Like, all the way.

In the last apartment I lived in, there was a trailer parked near the back of the lot, kinda near our apartment. It was always there at night, but never during the day, which was REALLY weird to me because when it WAS there, it had totally flat tires.

Finally one morning I was up early and saw the guy walk out to it, pull a portable air compressor out of the back, air up the tires, hitch it up, and roll out. When he came back a few hours later, he parked it and then aired the tires down.

Again, might be more work than some of these other solutions, especially if you're constantly in-and-out, but maybe something good to do if you're going to be parked for a while, or overnight. You probably have a portable compressor in your Jeep anyways (or at least you should).
Dumbest fucking advice given so far!

Sponsored

Teamjlred

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lifted 2.0LTurbo Sahara JL Wrangler Unlimited
Wouldn't the thief only sniff the signal when you're pressing a button? If you're walking around, the keyfob isn't constantly transmitting, right? Therefore, you would need to remove the remote from the faraday cage pouch and then the signal can be sniffed.

Or if it's constantly transmitting due to the keyless start/running, then you still can't put it in the pouch or else the Jeep won't get far.

I think the only solution would be for Jeep to develop a stronger algorithm to prevent this from happening.
Even though this was not the case here as the MF's broke the window to gain access. if they bumped the key fob it would have allowed them to open the door and start her right up and drive off. The fob is constantly transmitting. The bumping has been occurring in Florida for a while and not just selective to Jeeps, thieves use it for any vehicle with a fob. Examples: At your house one perp will walk around the structure until it captures the signal (of an unprotected fob ) thru the walls and it will send a signal to the other perp standing at your Jeep and it instantly opens the door and starts her up as if he had the fob in his hand. Another scenario occurs when you exit your car at a shopping center. One perp stays back from you walking into the store and bumps your Fob and the other perp is at your jeep and off they go. I have a faraday bag for all 4 of my vehicles. As soon as I exit and lock my jeep the fob goes into the bag and into my pocket thus eliminating the transmission of the fob signal. Just a small deterrent of Prevention.

Teamjlred

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lifted 2.0LTurbo Sahara JL Wrangler Unlimited
i dont really know whats next.

just wait? (if the police find it, but i dont believe they will)

idk what to do, im just waiting... i already filed the claim with progressive.
Sorry to hear about your Jeep. Hopefully you took the GAP insurance on your policy which can help mitigate any difference in the offer.

Mecca

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
I haven’t looked at other brands yet, I just saw this a while back. Probably time for me to get one…
Hopefully they’ll catch the MoFo! If they would just cut people hands off for stealing we wouldn’t have this problem!
Amen!

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
An easy and safe theft prevention method would be to install a second horn or alarm with a relay hooked to ignition power with a hidden cut off switch. Once the ignition is turned on the horn will blast scaring the thief, I doubt he’ll wanna wait around to look for the switch if he’s drawing that much attention. Just engaged the switch every time you leave the vehicle.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

It's a demand / response system with keys. You touch handle, car pings key, the chip inside the key responds (unless you press a button, then it transmits). It's a low power system so it USUALLY only works close to the vehicle. Keys aren't generally very smart, because smart means bigger batteries and more frequent replacement.

Attackers can use repeaters to insert themselves in the middle and extend the range. That's where keeping your keys away from the car and preferably in an RF blocking bag gets helpful. Or sometimes the algorithms have been weak enough that they can just fake a key.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
An easy and safe theft prevention method would be to install a second horn or alarm with a relay hooked to ignition power with a hidden cut off switch. Once the ignition is turned on the horn will blast scaring the thief, I doubt he’ll wanna wait around to look for the switch if he’s drawing that much attention. Just engaged the switch every time you leave the vehicle.
This is hilarious, but I would scare the crap out of myself because I would never remember to disable it.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Care to explain why?
Let's see if I can dumb this down: Come home from work, deflate the tires. Oops forgot milk got to go to the store but first....pump up tires and then go. Back home deflate the tires. Oh crap, I was supposed to go over to my friends house to pick up something but first....pump up tires and then go. Back home deflate the tires. Can't wait until tomorrow to go to work....right after I inflate the tires again!

If the vehicle was going to sit for an extended amount of time (weeks / months) it might be a deterrent.

Are you doing the thing with your tires before your rig gets stolen? If not, why not?

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited

Here is a more detailed explanation of how the theft procedure works:

This technology also helps.. Keyless FOBs that go into sleep mode:
https://www.whatcar.com/news/more-car-models-get-sleeping-key-fobs-to-combat-keyless-theft/n20439

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Let's see if I can dumb this down: Come home from work, deflate the tires. Oops forgot milk got to go to the store but first....pump up tires and then go. Back home deflate the tires. Oh crap, I was supposed to go over to my friends house to pick up something but first....pump up tires and then go. Back home deflate the tires. Can't wait until tomorrow to go to work....right after I inflate the tires again!

If the vehicle was going to sit for an extended amount of time (weeks / months) it might be a deterrent.

Are you doing the thing with your tires before your rig gets stolen? If not, why not?
Oh cool, so you just didn't bother to read my whole post before insulting me. Got it.

"...Again, might be more work than some of these other solutions, especially if you're constantly in-and-out, but maybe something good to do if you're going to be parked for a while, or overnight. You probably have a portable compressor in your Jeep anyways (or at least you should)."

Also, I never said it was a *great* idea, only that it was cheap/easy.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: GtX