Stolen 2021 JLURD

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I run a hikeit throttle controller. The controller has a lockout feature that yes you can start the engine but unless you put in the 4 digit code the throttle won’t respond at all so it will just idle. I have my controller wiring ran behind the dash and under the gearshift housing into my center console which has a aftermarket keyed compartment to allow access to the main storage area. If they can figure out there is a throttle controller and disconnect it then they can have the Jeep. 😂
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I like that idea. Hide a working switch, and leave a dummy switch in the original location. Have custom text printed thereon, like "F**k you for trying!"
I like adding a message lol.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
LoJack is still a good option. It is the only system I am aware of that can be directly tracked by police without a third party. All the other services have to relay locations to the police dispatcher, who then have to relay it to field units. With LoJack, once the vehicle is entered into the system as stolen, police vehicles and helicopters with LoJack receivers will pick it up and triangulate in on the vehicle. The system works well, and the transmitter is very difficult to find. The only drawback is the police agencies where you live have to have LoJack receivers. Outside of So California, I dont know how many do.

I hope you get your Jeep back in one piece, or a suitable replacement quickly.

Sponsored

OceanBlueDolphins

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Not to sound like Sherlock Holmes but...

Maintenance guy reported it to you..

resident key fob used....

Working in a corporate office for a residential property management company I’ve unfortunately seen to many cases like this play out.... (inside job). Does your building have valet? Has valet ever had access to your key?

best of luck with everything

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
@Erika— My 2020 with 4K miles was stolen in December 2020. Went out to go hiking and no Jeep. The range of emotions was intense. People suck.

Mine was never recovered and I got a new one in April 2021.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about the process, insurance, etc. — happy to walk you through my experience.

Makstarn

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Has anyone considered hiding an apple airtag somewhere on the outside of the vehicle for a cheap alternative to a lojack since it'll ping off anyone's iOS device and report back to you.
I really like your idea. Would I need an Apple device though? I have an Android phone & tablet.

OP
OP
erika

erika

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon Diesel 3.0
I am surprised there are no cameras. Seems
IIke everywhere we go now we are being tracked.
There were cameras but far from my parking spot. The only thing that is visible is the SUV (black tahoe no tag ) they use to enter

Sponsored

1leftygolfer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD Nacho
Occupation
Retired
Completely sucks. Appreciate your posting for us to learn what other options we can protect our vehicle

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Yeah.... But what if you don't live in the Apple ecosystem.... Very creepy.
It doesn’t notify for three days after it becomes located apart from its paired phone and even then the sound is 15sec long and only every couple of hours. Then it sends a screen notification to an iPhone user if it has been traveling with them for three days to let them know their location is being tracked. If you had an AirTag on your vehicle it would be three days before the perp would be notified, but if anyone in the area has an iPhone 6S or later in BT range it will tell you where it’s at.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/05/05/apple-airtags-stalking/?outputType=amp

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
This can work both directions btw. Thief spots you in a parking lot, drops an air tag on the vehicle, “bumps” into you to capture the fob, waits for you to go home. Then they just go and retrieve their air tag when you’re sleeping.
Yes it can and you wouldn’t know for three days.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I've been thinking about this for awhile. I've considered something that is probably about as good as a kill switch. On our JLs the brake pedal on automatics or clutch on manual transmissions must be pressed in order to start. So a disable switch on that wire so it will be impossible to start unless the circuit is restored.
I haven't had time to get under there to look, but seems like it should work.

Also, let's say they can manage to start one with an automatic trans. Well, if the signal is interrupted that releases the shifter when the brake pedal is pressed, they aren't going anywhere.

One simple trick but more trouble is to pull the fuel pump relay or something related to the starter circuit. Basically you put in a non functional relay so it's not obvious. Again, they will not be going anywhere. Unless they know exactly what's been done and they carry spare parts around. Besides, it's going to be pretty obvious something's up if they have to be standing around with flashlights underneath the hood in the night.

I wish I could just remove the start button and leave a hole in the dash. Maybe that's another option. Move the working start button to a hidden location but leave a dummy button in the dash. Would really fool them HAHAHAHA. They would get so pissed.
A friend had his car stolen in an apartment complex. Flatbed truck pulled it up and drove off. 3 Witnesses. Driver had coveralls on and the name of a fake repair shop on the side of the truck. Neighbors thought it was a legit haul off for repair. Not much you can do about that unless you monitor the vehicle.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'm going to catch hate for this, but could the Tazer make the vehicle vulnerable to theft?
Sponsored