First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Has anyone considered hiding an apple airtag somewhere on the outside of the vehicle for a cheap alternative to a lojack since it'll ping off anyone's iOS device and report back to you.
Yes I bought a 5 pack. One is going in my new Turtleback trailer and another in my new 392. Have one on my key ring too. They work exceptionally well and are dirt cheap.
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I havenā€™t looked at other brands yet, I just saw this a while back. Probably time for me to get oneā€¦
Hopefully theyā€™ll catch the MoFo! If they would just cut people hands off for stealing we wouldnā€™t have this problem!
I agree. Stealing your vehicle is at least one hand. I can think of other crimes that could be rectified by getting rid of body parts and leave them never able to harm anyone again.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
And this is why I am getting the Ravelco security system installed in both my Jeep and my wife's mustang.
All of you talking about kill switches and messing with your wiring, take this guyā€™s advice. This system works very well. Click on the link he provided.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Sorry this happened to you. Hope they can find who did this and ultimately get your Jeep back too

Sponsored

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
<Sniped for brevity>

I wish I could just remove the start button and leave a hole in the dash. Maybe that's another option. Move the working start button to a hidden location but leave a dummy button in the dash. Would really fool them HAHAHAHA. They would get so pissed.
Lol -- love this idea! Reminds me of a "unauthorized ShipAlt" one of my Navy electrician friends did on a ship he was assigned to once... He found a red 'Self Destruct' button and wired it into the ship's propulsion console's alarms and warning system.

It wouldn't do anything, mind you, but flash the alarm lights and sound the warning siren... but that still didn't stop at least one person per trip from pushing the dang thing. :CWL: šŸ˜‚

Cheers,
-CM-

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
So what happens now? Will insurance cover the total loss?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I've been thinking about this for awhile. I've considered something that is probably about as good as a kill switch. On our JLs the brake pedal on automatics or clutch on manual transmissions must be pressed in order to start. So a disable switch on that wire so it will be impossible to start unless the circuit is restored.
I haven't had time to get under there to look, but seems like it should work.

Also, let's say they can manage to start one with an automatic trans. Well, if the signal is interrupted that releases the shifter when the brake pedal is pressed, they aren't going anywhere.

One simple trick but more trouble is to pull the fuel pump relay or something related to the starter circuit. Basically you put in a non functional relay so it's not obvious. Again, they will not be going anywhere. Unless they know exactly what's been done and they carry spare parts around. Besides, it's going to be pretty obvious something's up if they have to be standing around with flashlights underneath the hood in the night.

I wish I could just remove the start button and leave a hole in the dash. Maybe that's another option. Move the working start button to a hidden location but leave a dummy button in the dash. Would really fool them HAHAHAHA. They would get so pissed.
Let me know if you do the brake pedal thingy. You can pm if you want. Thanks

OP
OP
erika

erika

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon Diesel 3.0
So what happens now? Will insurance cover the total loss?
i dont really know whats next.

just wait? (if the police find it, but i dont believe they will)

idk what to do, im just waiting... i already filed the claim with progressive.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Let me know if you do the brake pedal thingy. You can pm if you want. Thanks
The brake pedal idea is interesting ... however I wonder if the brake signal being sent to the computer is besides being perhaps of the electrical analog type (let's say a potentiometer or a Hall effect sensor) ... if the computer then turns the brake sensor signal into CANBus data... if that is the case... the thieves could also simulate the pressing of the brake pedal on the CANBus and that way defeat the brake pedal switch idea...

A switch that disables the fuel pump relay is also interesting.. however, any system that disables the car ( especially the engine ) has the unintended dangerous possibility of disabling the Jeep while moving (switch or cabling being damaged somehow) imagine if it happens while going 70 MPH on the highway... dangerous indeed!!!!

I am not trying to rain on your parade of theft-deterrent ideas... I am just trying to warn you of the potential pitfalls of such mods to your vehicle...

There are tons of GPS tracking devices specifically designed for vehicles that can withstand chemicals, high temperature and being exposed to the elements.. just google "GPS car tracker"

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
i dont really know whats next.

just wait? (if the police find it, but i dont believe they will)

idk what to do, im just waiting... i already filed the claim with progressive.
I believe they have 30 days to find the car after that they should settle and cut you a check. Now hopefully going by market value they will pay you higher then you bought the Jeep for which should help you cover a couple of the mods you lost! However if the insurance company does low ball you for some crazy reason YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THEIR FIRST OFFER!! Do your due deligence and I would say put your VIN number and get a price quote from VROOM and CARVANA and see what both of these companies will offer you to buy the Jeep from you but wait to do this until you get your offer from your insurance company! then you can provide them with hard evidence of what your Jeep is worth and they will have to match atleast the lower of the two offers which most likely will still be above what the insurance company will offer you less you get lucky! Most people do not know that they donā€™t have to take the insurance companies first offer when a car is totaled or stolen.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Move the working start button to a hidden location but leave a dummy button in the dash. Would really fool them HAHAHAHA. They would get so pissed.
I like that idea. Hide a working switch, and leave a dummy switch in the original location. Have custom text printed thereon, like "F**k you for trying!"

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Has anyone considered hiding an apple airtag somewhere on the outside of the vehicle for a cheap alternative to a lojack since it'll ping off anyone's iOS device and report back to you.
I have it on both my vehicles. Sold the jeep 2 months back but still use airtags on my new car and my wifes.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Honestly a cheap solution would be to have a phone plan that has multiple lines and buy a cheap android phone and hide it under the carpet, wire it to 12v power permanently. Then, run one of those family trackers like life360 and label that phone accordingly. For people who own 60k vehicles, a 200.00 phone that never gets used isn't a huge expense, especially since lots of family plans allow a certain number of lines that often go unused. You don't need bluetooth enabled for the family trackers like life360 to work, just data and gps. It wouldn't be readily obvious to anyone stealing the car, and would definitely report back a location specific enough for police to find the vehicle.
Sponsored