Sponsored

Stolen 2021 JLURD

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I really like your idea. Would I need an Apple device though? I have an Android phone & tablet.
Yes you will need an Apple device to activate an AirTag.

AirTags use nearby Apple devices to report its location. However, it may notify the thieves of its presence if they are with the vehicle for an extended period of time. This is due to Apple's design to prevent AirTags from being used as a tracker of unsuspecting people.

It's an added layer of being able to track your vehicle, but it may only function for a short period of time after the vehicle is stolen.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, order it. That Jeep isnt coming back. My dad always told me "you pay for insurance on things your whole life, it's OK to use it from time to time."
It will be interesting to find out how much your insurance will pay. Iā€™ve had friends who had vehicles stolen and they didnā€™t get near enough from the insurance company to replace it even though they had full coverage from the non-cut rate insurance companies.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
A friend had his car stolen in an apartment complex. Flatbed truck pulled it up and drove off. 3 Witnesses. Driver had coveralls on and the name of a fake repair shop on the side of the truck.
Neighbors thought it was a legit haul off for repair. Not much you can do about that unless you monitor the vehicle.
True you can't really do much in that case.

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
It will be interesting to find out how much your insurance will pay. Iā€™ve had friends who had vehicles stolen and they didnā€™t get near enough from the insurance company to replace it even though they had full coverage from the non-cut rate insurance companies.
Insurance adjusters are in the business of paying as little as possible. They know many need the money, are unwilling or unable to take the time to sue, and will low ball. Some insurance companies are worse than others. I would not, for example, have Allstate as my insurer these days even if they paid me to do so.

Sponsored

houstonstroker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
I keep an airtag hidden in my jeep. Just incase something like this happens.
I keep a cheap Tile in mine. Not real time GPS but with the power of the crowd hopefully I can recover.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
This can work both directions btw. Thief spots you in a parking lot, drops an air tag on the vehicle, ā€œbumpsā€ into you to capture the fob, waits for you to go home. Then they just go and retrieve their air tag when youā€™re sleeping.
Your mind goes to dark places, doesn't it?

I like it. :clap:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I would not mess with a "Kill switch" or anything that kills the power of the engine... but I suggest a GPS Tracker instead... something like this

https://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-Waterproof-Magnetic-Personal-Location/dp/B06XVZ6Y4T/ref=sr_1_5?crid=178OXPW3D7547&dchild=1&keywords=gps+tracker+for+vehicles&qid=1628493401&sprefix=gps+tracker,aps,240&sr=8-5

At $15 monthly fee is barely the cost of a Burrito + Soda.. :)
Nice little devise but you mind as well just pay a couple hundred bucks for LoJack once. One thing thatā€™s tedious in the description ā€œbattery life 10 daysā€.
I could see myself changing the battery 2-3 times then that thing would become a charm in my Jeep.

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
There's also similar GPS devices out there that have a battery but get hardwired to the 12v battery. They even have a trigger wire that you can remotely turn on to power a relay to kill power to something. The one company is $10 a month so I find it's a decent price for what I can do.

As for the Jeep, this has definitely crossed my mind, as I've heard locally about it being done. Unfortunately though, a lot of media outlets don't say HOW it's being done. If we knew how, maybe it would force auto makers to up the game and mitigate the vulnerability. I'm far from an expert, but I would hope that a replacement BCM would have to be programmed to the vehicle before it's swapped in.

Ultimately, it would be nice to hear how these Jeeps are getting stolen so we can be educated on the issue and figure out a way to fix it.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Nice little devise but you mind as well just pay a couple hundred bucks for LoJack once. One thing thatā€™s tedious in the description ā€œbattery life 10 daysā€.
I could see myself changing the battery 2-3 times then that thing would become a charm in my Jeep.

Ohh ok.... this device could also be permanently installed somewhere in your Jeep with this little and cheap adapter... no need to recharge as it is always plugged in to the Jeep's battery...

https://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-5...rSea+54&qid=1628524477&sr=8-4#customerReviews

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
There's also similar GPS devices out there that have a battery but get hardwired to the 12v battery. They even have a trigger wire that you can remotely turn on to power a relay to kill power to something. The one company is $10 a month so I find it's a decent price for what I can do.

As for the Jeep, this has definitely crossed my mind, as I've heard locally about it being done. Unfortunately though, a lot of media outlets don't say HOW it's being done. If we knew how, maybe it would force auto makers to up the game and mitigate the vulnerability. I'm far from an expert, but I would hope that a replacement BCM would have to be programmed to the vehicle before it's swapped in.

Ultimately, it would be nice to hear how these Jeeps are getting stolen so we can be educated on the issue and figure out a way to fix it.
Thieves steal Wranglers by sniffing the Keyless FOB's signal and then using another device to retransmit the FOB's signal to get into your rig and drive away... here is an article about... you will find many online...

https://www.ksat.com/news/2019/03/1...g-technology-to-hack-key-fobs-steal-vehicles/

This little pouch called a "Faraday Cage" will prevent thugs from stealing the signal

https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-Prot...=1628525779&sprefix=keyfog+far,aps,236&sr=8-7

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Another really cheap/easy (but potentially annoying) solution for those who park in a public lot/parking garage like this: just air your tires down. Like, all the way.

In the last apartment I lived in, there was a trailer parked near the back of the lot, kinda near our apartment. It was always there at night, but never during the day, which was REALLY weird to me because when it WAS there, it had totally flat tires.

Finally one morning I was up early and saw the guy walk out to it, pull a portable air compressor out of the back, air up the tires, hitch it up, and roll out. When he came back a few hours later, he parked it and then aired the tires down.

Again, might be more work than some of these other solutions, especially if you're constantly in-and-out, but maybe something good to do if you're going to be parked for a while, or overnight. You probably have a portable compressor in your Jeep anyways (or at least you should).

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I lived in Miami last year and my ā€˜19 JLUR was broken into. Same scenario. In a locked, secured, third floor parking garage. They didnā€™t steal the vehicle but took everything in it. Police felt it was a resident or the guest of a resident because they knew where the cameras were. I bought an OwlCam so I at least have some evidence if it ever happens again. Hopefully it wonā€™t.
Sponsored