beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Sean,

Symantics. Remote to me infers that you are not near the vehicle. For thieves this is certainly not the case. Bluetooth is certainly a nearby interface with very short range. One also has to 'hack' the pairing of both transceivers which infers physical access. FM, AM and Satellite are receivers only uni-directional (one-way). A connected interface to me is bi-directional (two-way) and the internal cellular radio of the UConnect-4s are the only practical connection point.

Certainly if you 'hack' Bluetooth, the attacker's unit can the provide the internet connection. This would be exactly like playing Spotify in you rig with your cellphone.

However, my point while an intrusion is difficult it is certainly possible (non-zero probability) for unintended access into your vehicle's drive-by-wire control system. Much more easier however without the SGW.

Removing the SGW is clearly an enabling mechanism. It's not so much the size of the attack surface (still smaller the better), it's about a successful intrusion independent of size. It only takes one access vector, in order to either steal (remote start, door unlock) or alter any other normal operating behavior.

Jay
It's not semantics at all. Exploitation with a one-way payload is not revolutionary by any means. But all of this aside, if someone wants to steal your vehicle, there are much easier and commercially available ways to do that vs trying to exploit some uconnect vulnerability that may or may not exist. But, again, if that was the path the attacker wanted to take and the SGW was somehow in the way, the attacker could just spend 5 seconds removing it.

Keep in mind also that the SGW is in no way an air gap, and assuming it isn't easily defeated by a remote attacker is dangerous.
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
It's not semantics at all. Exploitation with a one-way payload is not revolutionary by any means. But all of this aside, if someone wants to steal your vehicle, there are much easier and commercially available ways to do that vs trying to exploit some uconnect vulnerability that may or may not exist. But, again, if that was the path the attacker wanted to take and the SGW was somehow in the way, the attacker could just spend 5 seconds removing it.

Keep in mind also that the SGW is in no way an air gap, and assuming it isn't easily defeated by a remote attacker is dangerous.
Agreed. While bad-guys can exploit literally anything, a motivated and educated thief will steal your vehicle. Whether by tow-truck or even perhaps by large helicopter being really outlandish.

Jay

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. While bad-guys can exploit literally anything, a motivated and educated thief will steal your vehicle. Whether by tow-truck or even perhaps by large helicopter being really outlandish.

Jay
Like my Dad used to always say....a lock is only there to keep honest people honest.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Probably stolen with a tow truck, unfortunately.
Yes. Very likely. Push to start vehicles are simple to steal. Even more so when people leave their fob “hidden” inside. Many thieves simply try the push start first and are rewarded with what a lazy owner left for them.
Damn man I really hate to hear this... It was a cool looking ride. If the top is off it is simple to put transfer case into neutral roll it away and onto a wrecker or roll back away from the house. If it is a stick it is even easier. Sorry for your loss. I hope they recover it soon. I'd be surprised though....probably on it's way to Mexico. That is the problem with buying a stripped down Wrangler, There is no Sirius, there is no Uconnect that would at least allow you track the vehicle. Next time get a gps tracker and mount it somewhere inconspicuous. Good luck!
I'm very willing to bet that it was put in neutral and towed away. Maybe even just towed from the rear like they would do to any RWD. I've heard stories, and they make sense, that many repo guys are on the lookout for similar vehicles when they get a repo request. Have a repo request for a silver Jeep? Go steal one and if you get caught, just show the cops the paperwork and then act stupid when the numbers don't match. This happened to a guy over on a Harley forum - he got his bike back but somewhat damaged :(

As for leaving the FOB in the car, that happened to my neighbor and some thieves came through the neighborhood trying car handles and stealing everything in unlocked cars. Well, when they tried his handle, the car unlocked and they got in and drove away. He had tracking and got it back a few hours later. The thieves drove it just 2 or 3 miles away and parked at a condo complex to see if it was being tracked.

Also, I'm 99% sure that only the 8.4 radio has any type of tracking. In order to track, you need to send a signal, and that is the only one equipped with a cell antenna to send information. The other systems are all receiving only.

OP
OP

Salt1972

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD + 2016 JKU
FWIW- I contacted Sirius XM and UConnect. My Jeep had the 7" Uconnect4 head unit with the Alpine package. Sirius nor Uconnect has the ability to track the vehicle with this unit. Only the 8.4" system with the "SOS" button can be tracked via Uconnect or Sirius. I appreciate the ideas and thought. Still no update from the police.

Sponsored

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Unfortunately if you erase some human scum stealing anything from you, you will be the one prosecuted. Look at what the couple in MO are facing for just 'brandishing' a weapon when people are breaking and entering onto their property.
No one was breaking and entering onto their property. They were in a private community, but not threatening the homeowners or on the homeowners property. In MO there is a "castle doctrine" that justifies deadly force for those who are defending their homes from intruders, however it is illegal to wave weapons in a threatening manner in the city of St. Louis. So you can't wave your weapon at people in the street that you don't like or have a concern they might do something, but you can defend your home if they are on your property.

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
No one was breaking and entering onto their property. They were in a private community, but not threatening the homeowners or on the homeowners property. In MO there is a "castle doctrine" that justifies deadly force for those who are defending their homes from intruders, however it is illegal to wave weapons in a threatening manner in the city of St. Louis. So you can't wave your weapon at people in the street that you don't like or have a concern they might do something, but you can defend your home if they are on your property.
Don’t let the facts get in your way. The rioters kicked down a wrought iron gate and accessed these folks property. They had private property and no trespassing signs posted. The rioters then made threats to them and they feared for their safety.
I have know reason not to believe this man. However why should I believe anything folks that want to cause terror have to say?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
No one was breaking and entering onto their property. They were in a private community, but not threatening the homeowners or on the homeowners property.
WTF are you talking about? Breaking down their gate, which is their property, and proceeding through it, which is also their property, is literally breaking, entering, and threatening.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Here, in Texas, I've seen a turd shot, while trying to steal a mans truck, while it was parked in the street. It was at night, and nothing, absolutely nothing happened to the owner of the truck. God Bless Texas.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Don’t let the facts get in your way. The rioters kicked down a wrought iron gate and accessed these folks property. They had private property and no trespassing signs posted. The rioters then made threats to them and they feared for their safety.
I have know reason not to believe this man. However why should I believe anything folks that want to cause terror have to say?
Facts?
It was allegedly the gate to the community, not their property. Protesters were met with threats to "to get out of the neighborhood". I'm no MO law expert, but a lot of private roads and communities are still required to have easements for public access, so would have to know the rules in their state and community to know if they were within their right to threaten people within their neighborhood, who were not on their property. Regardless, where are all the pics of the kicked down gate? Funny we haven't seen any as that would be a super easy defense and help squash any debate. Looks like they just walk into the open gate. Who knows what happened after the fact:

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Facts?
It was allegedly the gate to the community, not their property. Protesters were met with threats to "to get out of the neighborhood". I'm no MO law expert, but a lot of private roads and communities are still required to have easements for public access, so would have to know the rules in their state and community to know if they were within their right to threaten people within their neighborhood, who were not on their property. Regardless, where are all the pics of the kicked down gate? Funny we haven't seen any as that would be a super easy defense and help squash any debate. Looks like they just walk into the open gate. Who knows what happened after the fact:
You do realize you asked "where are the pics of the kicked down gate" and then posted a pic of the kicked down gate, right?

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Facts?
It was allegedly the gate to the community, not their property. Protesters were met with threats to "to get out of the neighborhood". I'm no MO law expert, but a lot of private roads and communities are still required to have easements for public access, so would have to know the rules in their state and community to know if they were within their right to threaten people within their neighborhood, who were not on their property. Regardless, where are all the pics of the kicked down gate? Funny we haven't seen any as that would be a super easy defense and help squash any debate:
The question is moot because Missouri law allows the use of deadly force in defense of property. The MO Attorney General has already moved for dismissal and the Governor said he'd pardon them.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
WTF are you talking about? Breaking down their gate, which is their property, and proceeding through it, which is also their property, is literally breaking, entering, and threatening.
community gate which was open, not their property gate.

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
You do realize you asked "where are the pics of the kicked down gate" and then posted a pic of the kicked down gate, right?
did you watch them walk though an open gate in the video and me state who knows what happened after the fact. The claim was that the couple heard them smash through the gate when entering the community and the gate is shown open and intact with people walking through.
Sponsored