Sponsored

Stock Willys tires or K02s on new Willys?

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I would not be afraid of the MTs. My '12 JKUR came with BFG KM mud-terrain on it and they were great tires. I drove the thing all over the country in all kinds of weather and never was concerned with traction. There are enough ABS/stability control stuff working in our favor to negate some of the traction losses normally experienced with mud terrain tires. Those BFGs ran about 70000 miles before I traded it. I'm actually considering KM2 or 3 to replace my ATs.

IMG_1127.jpeg

IMG_1135.jpeg
Sponsored

theRickah

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
Hi Everyone, first time making a comment in the forum... I have a 2020 Willys with Firestone MT2s and I get a lot of bad weather in New England. I've driven the tires through billiards, unplowed roads of almost a foot of snow, bad rain storms and the tires have never given me a cause for concern. I feel their snow/rain traction to be wonderful actually.

However, the on-road noise and the sometimes squirrely steering has me considering going to an AT (probably a KO2). I've enjoyed the look and have gone off road, but on highway drives it requires 2 hands on the wheel if you want to be safe. I'm constantly over-correcting while driving fast.

I personally plan on getting 35' KO2s and selling the 32 Mt2s to a nice person driving a Sport that wants the look of a Willys/Rubi ;-)

So... if I were building another Willys I would still go for the MT2, but then sell them at about $1000 for all 5, turn around and slap that money on new KO2s.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hi Everyone, first time making a comment in the forum... I have a 2020 Willys with Firestone MT2s and I get a lot of bad weather in New England. I've driven the tires through billiards, unplowed roads of almost a foot of snow, bad rain storms and the tires have never given me a cause for concern. I feel their snow/rain traction to be wonderful actually.

However, the on-road noise and the sometimes squirrely steering has me considering going to an AT (probably a KO2). I've enjoyed the look and have gone off road, but on highway drives it requires 2 hands on the wheel if you want to be safe. I'm constantly over-correcting while driving fast.

I personally plan on getting 35' KO2s and selling the 32 Mt2s to a nice person driving a Sport that wants the look of a Willys/Rubi ;-)

So... if I were building another Willys I would still go for the MT2, but then sell them at about $1000 for all 5, turn around and slap that money on new KO2s.
Welcome to the forum Rick!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
One one of our Wranglers we have the KO2'S, and the other Falken Wildpeak AT3W. When new, the Falkens have more tread depth, are quieter and ride smoother. They are both C Rated.

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
An MT is never the best choice for a daily driver, unless your daily drive involves mud, or other severe off road use. Loud, and comparatively worse traction in the wet and snow.
^^^^^

I bought my Willy's used w/ 9200 miles. The FIRST mod was to replace the tires. Ended up using 285/75 17 (essentially 34's) Toyo open country AT/3. MUCH QUIETER and much better handling.
Sponsored