koda&crixus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hello everyone,
So I have had my 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S for a little over a year now, and I finally put the 2in Mopar Lift on, an updated the track bar, 17" Black Rhino Wheels, with BFG 35in KO2 tires. All is good except when it came to mounting the spare tire with the spare rear bumper. So I got a spare tire relocation bracket, but I can see that the tire may be alittle to heavy for the gate as it moves alittle over bumps. I see different numbers around, so some questions I have that you all could help me out with would be awesome:
- what is the weight limit for the gate?
-is running the relocation bracket, and those 35in tires going to mess up the gate long term?
I did end up getting an aftermarket steel bumper without a tire carrier. so another question:
-Is it worth it to just get a bumper with a tire carrier mount?
-Or do I just need to get a reinforcement tire carrier?
-What are some good rear bumpers with tire carrier or just the tire carrier you all consider?
Any help or opinions would be awesome!!
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Welcome to the board.

All great questions, as a lot of us had similar questions when picked up our JL.
The main issue is the amount of stuff that is out there that is just plain cheap overseas junk.
There is also some stuff that is $$ and is still junk.

For me, I was looking at bumper v tail gate to hold bigger tires.
I was lucky enough to find a local shop (Stacked Off Road) here in Charlotte NC.
The owner of the shop, Diezel, steered me in the right direction so many times.
For a tire carrier, Diezel recommended a Rusty's tire carrier.

Rusty's tire carrier is amazing.
It is E-Coated, very strong, works well, and no rattles.
Of course its made in USA.

Info on Rusty's is at
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-tire-carrier-2018-and-later-jl-wrangler.html
And there is a video on YouTube.

You can also check out my install using the link under my avatar.

60739597713__4667B334-B25F-43AB-BFDA-4936BF74D9DC.JPG

60747341874__91F3F4E4-BFCA-46D2-BB27-5012E61C283F.JPG

OP
OP

koda&crixus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the board.

All great questions, as a lot of us had similar questions when picked up our JL.
The main issue is the amount of stuff that is out there that is just plain cheap overseas junk.
There is also some stuff that is $$ and is still junk.

For me, I was looking at bumper v tail gate to hold bigger tires.
I was lucky enough to find a local shop (Stacked Off Road) here in Charlotte NC.
The owner of the shop, Diezel, steered me in the right direction so many times.
For a tire carrier, Diezel recommended a Rusty's tire carrier.

Rusty's tire carrier is amazing.
It is E-Coated, very strong, works well, and no rattles.
Of course its made in USA.

Info on Rusty's is at
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-tire-carrier-2018-and-later-jl-wrangler.html
And there is a video on YouTube.

You can also check out my install using the link under my avatar.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock vs Tire carrier vs bumper tire carrier 60747341874__91F3F4E4-BFCA-46D2-BB27-5012E61C283F.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock vs Tire carrier vs bumper tire carrier 60747341874__91F3F4E4-BFCA-46D2-BB27-5012E61C283F.JPG
Thank you for the reply, on this tire carrier does it modify anything on the body, like I wont need to cut anything or it wont mess up anything on the body?

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
No cutting is needed.
There is an option to put two fasteners on the drivers side that go through the tailgate.
I did this, not a big deal.
Again, totally optional, and I used regular stainless steel nuts and bolts.

The factory hinges are replaced with the Rusty hinges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock vs Tire carrier vs bumper tire carrier IMG_0015

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I would guess that the majority of the movement from your spare over bumps is that the spacers on your tail gate no longer come in contact with your spare tire now that you used a relocation bracket. If this is the case, there is an easy, very inexpensive fix. That is, if you do not want to switch to the other possibly options out there.

After I added 35s and spare tire relocation bracket (RC) I had the same issue. RATTLE NOISE. I fixed mine for less than $10. Yes ten. I did not miss and addition zero.

Go to a local hardware store and purchase either Clothes washing tubing or two small sections of PVC plumbing risers. I went with the plumbing risers. Then buy two of those rubber stoppers / ends that would be placed on a chair leg. You can easily insert and cut down the risers to needed length and add the stoppers. The rattle will either be GREATLY reduced or gone completely. Hope this helps.
F3A663AE-FE94-4108-9EFA-F223F40C8282.jpeg

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the community!

No need to switch bumpers again. You already paid for, and installed something that you liked. A bumper with attached carrier would be overkill for 35's, anyway. Especially with the ko2's, which are amongst the lightest in that size.

Another option to consider, would be the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It's adjustable for both height to properly clear the rear bumper, and depth to maintain firm contact between the tires sidewall and the tailgate rubber bumpers. The latter is what prevents excessive movement of the spare.

If you're into the lighter end of offroading, the Alpha would do you well. If you're into more than the lighter end, a hinged reinforcement with adjustable carrier would do you better. I'm personally planning on getting the Cavfab reinforced carrier. It's very similar to the one from Rustys. Both are popular here due to their quality.

OP
OP

koda&crixus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the community!

No need to switch bumpers again. You already paid for, and installed something that you liked. A bumper with attached carrier would be overkill for 35's, anyway. Especially with the ko2's, which are amongst the lightest in that size.

Another option to consider, would be the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It's adjustable for both height to properly clear the rear bumper, and depth to maintain firm contact between the tires sidewall and the tailgate rubber bumpers. The latter is what prevents excessive movement of the spare.

If you're into the lighter end of offroading, the Alpha would do you well. If you're into more than the lighter end, a hinged reinforcement with adjustable carrier would do you better. I'm personally planning on getting the Cavfab reinforced carrier. It's very similar to the one from Rustys. Both are popular here due to their quality.
So if I go with the Teraflex HD carrier, do I need to do a reinforcement bracket from the hinges as well, or is the gate strong enough to support the weight I am running? Or will in the long run mess it up? Is either one better in your opinion? I don't mind spending the money now to protect the alignment and tailgate strength, so I dont have to pay for it in the end.

OP
OP

koda&crixus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would guess that the majority of the movement from your spare over bumps is that the spacers on your tail gate no longer come in contact with your spare tire now that you used a relocation bracket. If this is the case, there is an easy, very inexpensive fix. That is, if you do not want to switch to the other possibly options out there.

After I added 35s and spare tire relocation bracket (RC) I had the same issue. RATTLE NOISE. I fixed mine for less than $10. Yes ten. I did not miss and addition zero.

Go to a local hardware store and purchase either Clothes washing tubing or two small sections of PVC plumbing risers. I went with the plumbing risers. Then buy two of those rubber stoppers / ends that would be placed on a chair leg. You can easily insert and cut down the risers to needed length and add the stoppers. The rattle will either be GREATLY reduced or gone completely. Hope this helps.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock vs Tire carrier vs bumper tire carrier F3A663AE-FE94-4108-9EFA-F223F40C8282
Thanks for this, I looked at it before I came into work tonight and noticed the gap lol, in the mean time I will do this to!!

OP
OP

koda&crixus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No cutting is needed.
There is an option to put two fasteners on the drivers side that go through the tailgate.
I did this, not a big deal.
Again, totally optional, and I used regular stainless steel nuts and bolts.

The factory hinges are replaced with the Rusty hinges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock vs Tire carrier vs bumper tire carrier F3A663AE-FE94-4108-9EFA-F223F40C8282
Dope!! thanks bro I appreciate it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So if I go with the Teraflex HD carrier, do I need to do a reinforcement bracket from the hinges as well, or is the gate strong enough to support the weight I am running? Or will in the long run mess it up? Is either one better in your opinion? I don't mind spending the money now to protect the alignment and tailgate strength, so I dont have to pay for it in the end.
Like i previously mentioned, it all comes down to your intended use of the Jeep. If peace of mind is what you seek, and budget allows, you can't go wrong with a quality hinged reinforcement with carrier assembly. It will yawn at your 35" spare, but will fully support against any bouncing or impacts that quickly amplify the spares affect on the tailgate. Quick analogy. Hold a water bottle at arms length and shoulder height. No problem. Now jump up and down while keeping it at shoulder height. It now requires more strength and rigidity to control the same amount of weight.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Thanks for this, I looked at it before I came into work tonight and noticed the gap lol, in the mean time I will do this to!!
You are very welcome.

Atit2d

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2015 ML63 AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2019 RAM Pick'emup
When I went to check out stronger mounting options at my local 4WheelParts store, they suggested that I keep my money because the JL hinges are made stronger because of the problems with the JKs - and they can handle my 128lb spare with no issues.

(I should mention that I told them that a pot hole, curb stop at the mall, or the occasional Prius are the only bumps I plan on coming in contact with.)

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
My 2 cents - Depending on how long you will keep the Jeep, how willing and mechanically inclined you are, and cost. No reinforcement and you may get sag after a decade or more depending on your usage, mostly street vs. more off road. Tailgate Reinforcement and more likely than not no problems but a little more work and cost if aftermarket bumper is purchased as well. Bumper with Tire Carrier takes the load off of the tailgate so most likely will never sag, costs a bit more upfront, probably the same amount of work but less involvement in removing the rear panels etc. My opinion is based on having none of these solutions as I am currently looking into getting rid of the plastic rear bumper for 1 of these solutions. I was leaning toward a LoD Rear tire carrier but sensor placement causes possible problems so I am looking at a Rock Hard tire carrier solution now but still may go reinforcement or just leave it stock. Tailgate sag or hinge problems can be fixed but they are frustrating. I'll be watching for your solution and pics

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The gate material is stronger and will certainly hold up better than the JK did, but the hinges will eventually succumb to the extra weight. I started getting squeaks with 37s attached to the stock carrier that had the RC relocation bracket (so the tire would clear the bumper). Bear in mind I'm running BFGs, so they're not really 37". They're closer to 35.5".

I've got the EVO carrier, but it's garbage. It's rusting already and the holes on the hinge plates that mount into the tub weren't drilled in the correct position, so the carrier itself didn't actually mount flush with the gate. I had to use spacers to correct that.

I'm eventually gonna switch to Rusty's as well.

The key is to move some (or all) of the weight of the spare from the gate to the tub. The Mopar unit doesn't do this; you're simply adding more weight to the gate itself which defeats the purpose.
Sponsored