Sponsored

Stock Tailgate Strong Enough for 37" KO2?

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I assume it's no issue to use the teraflex reinforcement with the Warn rear bumper?
Warn bumper + Teraflex HD Hinge Reinforcement should not be an issue. You can use any bumper with the Teraflex Hinge (product #4838900) and Teraflex tire carrier (product #4838910).
Sponsored

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
So I will give you my experiences:

I started with a 33". moved to a 35" and then later moved to a 37". I installed the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and spare tire relocation kit at the same time as the 35". The studs are pressed into the tire relocation kit and they eventually started puling out. I fabricated some new relocation plates from 5/16" stainless steel and backwelded studs into them.

It worked OK for a while, but the tailgate always rattled and over time, the tailgate reinforcement plate would loosen despite me keeping the 4 bolts incredibly tight. In the end, when using the OEM reinforcement, the tailgate remains a load bearing member and that would be fine IF the hinges were about a foot longer creating more leverage on the tailgate and spreading the load further out, but that is not the case.

Look at the photo below without the tire mounted. With the Mopar kit everything to the left of that red line is unsupported and the tailgate takes the weight/vibration. The CavFab holds 100% of the weight/vibration on the hinges and tub mount--meaning that if you left the tailgate off, the spare would still be 100% supported. The Mopar kit cannot do that.

When I upgraded to 37" tires (BFG K02), it was never a consideration to use the Mopar kit. I sold it and installed a CavFab kit. I would highly recommend it for you. You will ultimately change the Mopar kit to something else and will have spent more money than needed.

Buy once and cry once...

View attachment 600899

9042410651853367759.jpg
First, let me say, fundamentally, I do not disagree with anything you said. This is not a challenge to your opinion nor your experience in the matter, but rather some counterpoints for those who might be afraid to use the Mopar kit.

I wonder if (hope) you got a bad kit from Mopar? I wonder if the rattle wasn't coming from somewhere else and you over tightened the nuts on your tire carrier and that pulled them loose?

I also put on the Mopar reinforcement kit, and have a 37" BGF hanging on the back. I do not hear any squeaks or rattles even when off-roading. The tailgate and mounted spare feel firm and strong with the Mopar kit installed. But, I do agree that your current system would be much stronger than the Mopar one.

*note* I am aware of the fact that your off-roading in or near Colorado is not only "serious" but frequent compared to mine OH/MI/PA with off-road parks.

Also, I think your picture of a red line that holds the load is off. The Mopar hinge reinforcement kit extends to the first 4 bolts on the tire carrier. That would push your red line toward the left, to the midpoint of the outmost bolts (from the hinge). New "red line" drawn below. Then, if you purchase the Mopar oversize tire carrier, the kit includes a couple of steel "bridges" that when assembled, build a solid connection to the next set of bolts. This would move the redline all the way to the 2nd set of 4 bolts on the tire carrier. Marked with "White line" below. Those all transfer the load to the hinge (as well to the tailgate latch when closed). Keep in mind, none of this matters if the bolts are being pulled out of the plates.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Tailgate Strong Enough for 37" KO2? 1651770876962

I got mine way back before there were a lot of options, so I might not pick the same set up today. I just wanted to give a different perspective to those who might be worried the Mopar kit will not hold up to day to day usage.

My two cents, let the carnage begin....
;)

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
First, let me say, fundamentally, I do not disagree with anything you said. This is not a challenge to your opinion nor your experience in the matter, but rather some counterpoints for those who might be afraid to use the Mopar kit.

I wonder if (hope) you got a bad kit from Mopar? I wonder if the rattle wasn't coming from somewhere else and you over tightened the nuts on your tire carrier and that pulled them loose?

I also put on the Mopar reinforcement kit, and have a 37" BGF hanging on the back. I do not hear any squeaks or rattles even when off-roading. The tailgate and mounted spare feel firm and strong with the Mopar kit installed. But, I do agree that your current system would be much stronger than the Mopar one.

*note* I am aware of the fact that your off-roading in or near Colorado is not only "serious" but frequent compared to mine OH/MI/PA with off-road parks.

Also, I think your picture of a red line that holds the load is off. The Mopar hinge reinforcement kit extends to the first 4 bolts on the tire carrier. That would push your red line toward the left, to the midpoint of the outmost bolts (from the hinge). New "red line" drawn below. Then, if you purchase the Mopar oversize tire carrier, the kit includes a couple of steel "bridges" that when assembled, build a solid connection to the next set of bolts. This would move the redline all the way to the 2nd set of 4 bolts on the tire carrier. Marked with "White line" below. Those all transfer the load to the hinge (as well to the tailgate latch when closed). Keep in mind, none of this matters if the bolts are being pulled out of the plates.

1651770876962.png

I got mine way back before there were a lot of options, so I might not pick the same set up today. I just wanted to give a different perspective to those who might be worried the Mopar kit will not hold up to day to day usage.

My two cents, let the carnage begin....
;)
It has been a minute since I had the Mopar and forgot it went all the way under the edge of the plastic tire carrier. However, that and the aluminum plates aka "bridges" is in no way the same as a solid piece like a CavFab which completely replaces the OEM hinges and is 100% self-supporting.

Every one of those bolt holes in the Mopar kit are oversized and they are not unified in the way that a one piece "anything" would be - e.g. each of them is a place for movement to occur. In addition, note that all of it under the tire carrier is being tightened against plastic. Alternately, you can remove my tailgate and it would have zero effect on the support for the spare tire via the CavFab.

The part that loosens over time are the 4 bolts which go through the stock hinges and allow the entire tailgate to start to sag. The 8 bolts in the plastic tire carrier do little if anything to support the tailgate with the Mopar kit.

I wanted to make the Mopar kit work, but it is not the answer to a heavy tire/wheel combination. In the end, the Mopar kit is about half the cost of a CavFab, but it cannot compare.

Last edited:

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
It has been a minute since I had the Mopar and forgot it went all the way under the edge of the plastic tire carrier. However, that and the aluminum plates aka "bridges" is in no way the same as a solid piece like a CavFab which completely replaces the OEM hinges and is 100% self-supporting.

Every one of those bolt holes in the Mopar kit are oversized and they are not unified in the way that a one piece "anything" would be - e.g. each of them is a place for movement to occur. In addition, note that all of it under the tire carrier is being tightened against plastic. Alternately, you can remove my tailgate and it would have zero effect on the support for the spare tire via the CavFab.

The part that loosens over time are the 4 bolts which go through the stock hinges and allow the entire tailgate to start to sag. The 8 bolts in the plastic tire carrier do little if anything to support the tailgate with the Mopar kit.

I wanted to make the Mopar kit work, but it is not the answer to a heavy tire/wheel combination. In the end, the Mopar kit is about half the cost of a CavFab, but it cannot compare.
The 4 bolts at the hinge went bad? ooh, that's not good. Can I ask why you didn't go with a bumper mounted, hinged tire carrier? Just curious...

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The 4 bolts at the hinge went bad? ooh, that's not good. Can I ask why you didn't go with a bumper mounted, hinged tire carrier? Just curious...
No; they did not go bad, they would loosen over time to the point of the tailgate sagging which then led to rattles. The 4 bolts are holding the vast majority of the load.

Because the CavFab (and likely the Teraflex) look much cleaner and I did not want to change my rear bumper. I am in the "I like the OEM steel bumper" group. Besides, I have seen more than a few bumper mounted carriers break.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
The Teraflex option strengthens the hinge of the tailgate, increasing it's max load capacity. The spare tire mount attaches to that, like the OEM/mopar options. And based on all the research I've done, it makes no noise. Plus it looks better than any other aftermarket carrier.

The Warn tire carrier attaches to the bumper, and IIRC people have reported issues with it making noise.
I have the Warn Elite rear bumper with matching Warn tire carrier. It’s silent. It’s also adjustable, so perhaps the folks complaining about noice never got the carrier adjusted properly.

The Warn bumper/carrier option is stout. It’s also very expensive for what it is and it’s a colossal pain in the ass to install.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
That 37x12.5x17 (71lbs) weighs less than a 35 WildPeak M/T 35x12.5x17 (79.6lbs) and plenty of people run 35 M/Ts with no mod other than a carrier change.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I've been running Nitto Trail Grappler MT 37's on Mopar Beadlocks for going on 4 years now on the Mopar tailgate reinforcement with the Rusty's relocation bracket and stock carrier. It'll sometimes make a little noise going off a hard drop offroad but on the street no issues, no rattles, ever. I think my tire wheel combo weighs around 123 lbs?

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Now that I'm back to looking at tire carriers, does any one of them offer more advantages for additional attachments?

Ie) can you put a jack, shovel, water, fuel, whatever on one of the systems more easily than another?

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I’ve run 37s on 3 different JLs with no support and no issues. Do what you please.

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I'm back to looking at tire carriers, does any one of them offer more advantages for additional attachments?

Ie) can you put a jack, shovel, water, fuel, whatever on one of the systems more easily than another?
The Teraflex has holes to the right of the tire carrier (above and to the right of the mounting bolt holes) that are there for mounting things like Hi-Lift jacks and CB antennas. They sell additional mounting hardware depending on your use case.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Tailgate Strong Enough for 37" KO2? tirecarrier

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i have no doubt that there are carriers that are more stout than the Mopar unit.

but as just another data point, i'm using the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and spare relocation brackets.
i haven't experienced any signs of looseness, noise or failure (yet!) and my Mickey Thompsons weigh 110.6 lbs on the Mopar Beadlocks.

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
i have no doubt that there are carriers that are more stout than the Mopar unit.

but as just another data point, i'm using the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and spare relocation brackets.
i haven't experienced any signs of looseness, noise or failure (yet!) and my Mickey Thompsons weigh 110.6 lbs on the Mopar Beadlocks.
I'm running 35" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on KM236 Tank beadlocks (over 120lbs) with the Mopar reinforcement. I have squeaking and slight flex in my tailgate. The Teraflex unit above is on the way to me now.

The fact that I can't use my rear parking sensors with my spare currently is another issue that the new carrier should solve as well.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
The Teraflex has holes to the right of the tire carrier (above and to the right of the mounting bolt holes) that are there for mounting things like Hi-Lift jacks and CB antennas. They sell additional mounting hardware depending on your use case.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Tailgate Strong Enough for 37" KO2? tirecarrier
I definitely won't use the CB antenna. Might use the high lift jack. The water and gas is most likely, but I don't see that the teraflex option offers brackets for that.

I can't imagine that Warn would make a tire carrier that doesn't work excellent with their reputation on everything else.
Sponsored