Sponsored

Stock Sport wheel upgrade questions

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have a 2 door Sport with the stock steel wheels and stock 245/75R17 AT tires.

I love the look of the current gen black MOAB wheels and will be looking for a set of takeoffs. I believe that they come with the KM2 mud tires? (I couldn’t find the spec on the Jeep website but that’s what I’ve gathered from posts here)

I did some searches but couldn’t find the answers, so apologize for these basic questions:

1) If I do the swap, I will be going from what are currently 31.47” tires to 32.1” tires. At least that’s the calculation that I found online. Does that seem to make sense?
2) In order to mount those wheels and tires, will I need to make any mechanical modifications?
3) Will I need to have the dealer flash the computer to account for the difference in size so that the odometer reads correctly? Or is 1/2” difference pretty much negligible?
4) Will I have any weight issues with the spare? Will I need the tailgate reinforcement? I don’t think so but just checking.
5) Given that it’s my weekend excursion vehicle, how good/bad will mud terrain type tires be for me on paved surfaces, especially at speed on highways? How about in rain and snow? Noise? Again, not my daily driver so I’m willing to put up with things like a bit more noise.
6) Any special considerations for mounting them on a 2 door? (I know that’s a silly question but you never know)

Sorry for the basic questions, but thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have a 2 door Sport with the stock steel wheels and stock 245/75R17 AT tires.

I love the look of the current gen black MOAB wheels and will be looking for a set of takeoffs. I believe that they come with the KM2 mud tires? (I couldn’t find the spec on the Jeep website but that’s what I’ve gathered from posts here)

I did some searches but couldn’t find the answers, so apologize for these basic questions:

1) If I do the swap, I will be going from what are currently 31.47” tires to 32.1” tires. At least that’s the calculation that I found online. Does that seem to make sense?
2) In order to mount those wheels and tires, will I need to make any mechanical modifications?
3) Will I need to have the dealer flash the computer to account for the difference in size so that the odometer reads correctly? Or is 1/2” difference pretty much negligible?
4) Will I have any weight issues with the spare? Will I need the tailgate reinforcement? I don’t think so but just checking.
5) Given that it’s my weekend excursion vehicle, how good/bad will mud terrain type tires be for me on paved surfaces, especially at speed on highways? How about in rain and snow? Noise? Again, not my daily driver so I’m willing to put up with things like a bit more noise.
6) Any special considerations for mounting them on a 2 door? (I know that’s a silly question but you never know)

Sorry for the basic questions, but thanks in advance for any advice!
UPDATE: I did find this thread which answered many of my questions:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-moab-tires-on-stock-jl-suspension.28657/

Also, I looked at the Rubicon on line and it appears to have the non-reinforced tire carrier by default (same as body color) so if that can hold the Rubi tire I should be fine with the Moab wheel and 32.1” tire.