mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, after looking at bumpers and winches for what seems like months, I finally took the plunge on what was an unexpectedly cheap combo:

Rock Hard 4x4 winch plate - $180
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm

Traveller 9k winch - $300
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...electric-winch-9-000-lb-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

The cool thing about the winch plate is that it mounts right over the factory plastic bumper. I honestly have no desire to spend money on a steel bumper. I don't need steel. It just adds unnecessary weight to my vehicle. I want to keep my rig as light and simple as possible. With that being said, I was really happy to discover a winch plate that was designed for the factory plastic bumper.

As far as the winch goes, yeah it is a cheap one from China. In my opinion, there are 2 winches in this world. The USA made Warn Zeon (or an older model used Warn), or a plethora of China made ones, which I honestly just throw all into one category. I was originally going to go with a Smittybilt, but the Traveller caught my eye for 2 reasons. Number one, it is, in my opinion, the best looking winch aside from the Zeon (or maybe the Quadratec Stealth). And number two, all the wiring is sealed up. Even the Warn VR is ugly and has wiring exposed. Same with the Smittybilt. The Traveller was a local pickup, had great reviews on the Tractor Supply website and it looked fantastic. I figured it can't be any worse than going with a Smittybilt or any of the other Chinese made options.

I don't have it wired up yet, but here is a photo of how it looks all mounted up with the Rock Hard 4x4 winch plate. A steel bumper with a Warn winch plate/winch would look better of course, but for $500, I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

M6puG4C.jpg
Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
How's that winch mount working out for you?

I just ordered the Rock Hard Winch Mount myself.

From the pictures, as well as the directions, it looks like the mount is physically mounted to the frame in the back, while in the front, it looks like it is slid up into the Tow Hooks, where it is held in place there. Is this correct?

Thanks!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
How's that winch mount working out for you?

I just ordered the Rock Hard Winch Mount myself.

From the pictures, as well as the directions, it looks like the mount is physically mounted to the frame in the back, while in the front, it looks like it is slid up into the Tow Hooks, where it is held in place there. Is this correct?

Thanks!

thats what it looks like in the pic as for the front part of the plate. my question is how many bolts are bolted down to the frame. if it just 2 in the back, i'd be worried thats not enough to hold the winch load while winching.

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
There are 2 brackets that mount to the frame w/2 bolts each then snugs up under the stock tow hooks. I'm pretty confident its not going anywhere.
IMG_20200220_114153.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
mintswitch

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
thats what it looks like in the pic as for the front part of the plate. my question is how many bolts are bolted down to the frame. if it just 2 in the back, i'd be worried thats not enough to hold the winch load while winching.
Hey, sorry for the late reply. Fouts basically described things in the post above. There are 2 brackets (left and right) that mount to the sides of the frame (2 bolts on each bracket). Then, the winch plate itself mounts to the brackets with 2 bolts each. So altogether, 6 bolts total.

So in summary:

Left bracket: 2 bolts to frame, then 1 bolt to winch plate.
Right bracket: 2 bolts to frame, then 1 bolt to winch plate.

Like Fouts said, it is very solid and there is no way it's going anywhere.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for your replies.

As I pointed out earlier, I went and ordered it, and it's right now sitting next to me, ready to be installed. ;)

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
There are 2 brackets that mount to the frame w/2 bolts each then snugs up under the stock tow hooks. I'm pretty confident its not going anywhere.
IMG_20200220_114153.jpg
Where in Eastern Washington do you live?

I use to live there, in Yakima, Ellensburg, Moses Lake, and Pullman, then moved over to the West side, where I lived in Bellingham, Renton, and Bothell.

I had to move to California :angry: because of my job, four years ago, but have definite plans to move back home. I have relatives and friends up there, who I go and visit every Christmas. I miss the place. :(

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Where in Eastern Washington do you live?

I use to live there, in Yakima, Ellensburg, Moses Lake, and Pullman, then moved over to the West side, where I lived in Bellingham, Renton, and Bothell.

I had to move to California :angry: because of my job, four years ago, but have definite plans to move back home. I have relatives and friends up there, who I go and visit every Christmas. I miss the place. :(
I live in the Tri-Cities area, grew up in Walla Walla, lived in Orange County/Huntington Beach for a few years. Don't miss California at all.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_20200220_114153.jpg

Hi,

How's that Warn M8000 working out for you? Is your Wrangler a JL or a JLU? I'm trying to debate on getting an 8000 lb. or 10000, because of the weight of my JLU.

I had an M8000 on a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 I once had, and like it, but my JLU is heavier, so I'm wondering if a 10000 lb. might be a better option.

I've got that Rock Hard Winch Mount collecting dust, and I need to get it mounted. It's been way too hot to install my winch this summer here in SCAL, due to the heat here. Hopefully in September.

Another decision I need to make, whether to go w/the synthetic rope or cable. With the heat, strong sun light, and dust, if the synthetic rope could handle it. The cable may be the better option here.

Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Well I finally ordered a winch for my Rock Hard 4x4 winch plate, a Superwinch LP10000, model 1510200 w/Steel Rope, for around $411. It's a 10K lb. winch, which is well above the 1.5x the vehicle weight formula.

Looking at the Superwinch, it looks like a good quality winch. It's a well known brand, which has a 5.1 HP motor, and looking at various recommended winches, Superwinch's are listed. I was looking at the Superwinch LP8500, which I could get for $385, but heck for $25 more, I could get a 10K lb. model.

I was seriously looking at a Warn M8000, which I've owned in the past, but could find nothing lower than $619. I was looking at a used one on ebay for around $550, which they lowered to $450, but looking at it, it's old, especially looking at the serial number on it, which Warn doesn't even have listed on their web site for replacement parts, should I need them. Also too, I would need all new wiring and such, so in the end, it might just end up costing the same as a new one.

As for going w/a steel cable vs. a synthetic one, number one, it's dusty and hot, w/strong sunlight where I live, especially offroad, plus the synthetic models cost a lot more.

Now it just needs to cool off a little, temperature wise, so I can install both the winch and mounting. ;)

Eventually, I'll mount a steel winch bumper, probably the Rubicon model.

UPDATE:

The vendor for the Superwinch above, which I ordered from, went and changed the price on me. They had it listed for $411 on their website, and when I went to check on my order status, they said the order was frozen due to a mistake of the price shown on their website. They wanted another $58, so I went and cancelled the order. The last time I checked, they still had it shown for $411.

Doing some more searching, I found this brand new Warn M8000 for $576.93, plus tax, w/free shipping, on ebay. So I said the heck w/it, and went w/it. It's what I really wanted anyway, for around another $100, I got an American made winch. I've owned a couple of M8000's in the past and they're good winches.
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Sport to winch equipped for $500 s-l500

Last edited:

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
One question that comes up with on-bumper winches is whether it restricts air flow, but it seems to be a question without a clear answer. Probably it restricts some, but who knows if enough to make a difference...

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
One question that comes up with on-bumper winches is whether it restricts air flow, but it seems to be a question without a clear answer. Probably it restricts some, but who knows if enough to make a difference...
I've never heard of any issues.

I've never had any issues on my previous JKU, which I had a Warn above bumper mount w/the Warn M8000.

If you look at Fouts photo above, his Warn M8000 doesn't cover that much of the grill on his JL.

The same goes w/Mintswitch's as well, w/his Traveller 9k winch.

If you look at the classic Warn M8274 Winch, which is a tall winch, maybe that could, but then again, that winch design has been used all the way back to the old Willy's days, w/an above bumper mounting. I don't think I've ever seen it on any newer Jeeps, just on large pickup trucks.

So to answer your question, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: aro

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Practical. I thought about doing this, but my wife got a job in town and my job is 30 miles away. This means I will be commuting in the camry and she will be driving the jeep. Wich means I gotta cover the shit out of it with steel.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I finally got my Warn M8/M8000 winch installed on my JLU, w/the Rock Hard winch plate, after also three months plus since purchase. It's been too hot to work on here locally.

I still need to wire it up to the battery, hopefully next Saturday.

One problem, the combination of metric and American standard bolts for one.

It would of also helped to have had a second set of hands when it came to tightening the nuts and bolts, but I got it done by myself after around three hours, after which, I hit the shower. ;)

I measured the front end height, both before, and after the installation, and it doesn't appear to have changed any.

Driving doesn't feel any different either.

Next comes the installation of my Dual Band (2m/70cm) Mobile Transceiver, as well as a 40 channel CB.

I also picked up a used Garmin Overlander GPS this summer. I have yet to really try it out offroad.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Sport to winch equipped for $500 IMG_0692_A
Sponsored

Last edited: