Sponsored

Stock spare tire carrier. Does yours get pushed backwards at all when a tire is mounted?

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I recently bought new summer rims with a +20 offset and put some K02 DT 275/70 R18 on them. They fit on my spare carrier just fine.

I then took the stock rims with their +44 offset and got a set of 275/70 R18 winter tires mounted on them and then installed all five winter tires on the jeep.

In combination with the deep positive offset on the stock rim and the wider tire, the spare tire pushes the bracket that the third brake light is mounted on backward, and keeps it bent for the whole time that the spare is bolted down.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything I could do like put a thickness spacer in between the rim and bracket to keep the tire from forcing that plastic bracket, or is it not even worth worrying about?

I have read that I can raise the height of that brake light bracket possibly, bot not sure that would alleviate it from distorting?

Thank you for your time
Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is like that with my +25 offset AEV rims and 35/12.5. Too me its fine. I dont really care about that tail light and it will be seen just fine at night. It's only pushing up a little. I have a Teraflex spare mounting kit and never even put it on.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Mine is like that with my +25 offset AEV rims and 35/12.5. Too me its fine. I dont really care about that tail light and it will be seen just fine at night. It's only pushing up a little. I have a Teraflex spare mounting kit and never even put it on.
Thank you for the information. For clarification, did you mean to say pushing up, or pushing backward?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the information. For clarification, did you mean to say pushing up, or pushing backward?
Its really barely pushing at all. A little back makes it a little up too. Barely noticable. Funny thing, when the guys at the tire shop did my new wheels and tires, i had Synergy wheel spacers behind my Rubi wheels. When I picked it up they told my they had to stick a spacer on my spare to get it on. When I got home I ordered the Teraflex unit so I could sell the spacers. I drove it for months without bothering with it and then ancouple weeks ago I went to install the Teraflex to sell the spacers to my friend. Just for shits and giggles I said, lets jut try the spare on first. It went right on! Hardely pushes on the back up light arm. Long story. Sorry. Teraflex sitting in my garage. maybe will sell it. Cant return it, i tossed the box.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Its really barely pushing at all. A little back makes it a little up too. Barely noticable. Funny thing, when the guys at the tire shop did my new wheels and tires, i had Synergy wheel spacers behind my Rubi wheels. When I picked it up they told my they had to stick a spacer on my spare to get it on. When I got home I ordered the Teraflex unit so I could sell the spacers. I drove it for months without bothering with it and then ancouple weeks ago I went to install the Teraflex to sell the spacers to my friend. Just for shits and giggles I said, lets jut try the spare on first. It went right on! Hardely pushes on the back up light arm. Long story. Sorry. Teraflex sitting in my garage. maybe will sell it. Cant return it, i tossed the box.
If you need a pic of it , let me know.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
If you need a pic of it , let me know.
It's all good, thank you for your time and info. Much appreciated. I'm not going to worry about it.
Sponsored