Stock Skid Plates Touch-Up

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
A number of my skid plates received some scrapes yesterday and I live in the rust belt. To prevent rust damage, what's the best way to touch them up? I was thinking about the Rustoleum Rust Reformer but then por15 popped into my head. I figured they're skid plates, they're going to get scraped, so maybe por15 will be a waste of money.

If I go the rustoleum route, should I prime the bare metal first with the clean metal primer then just add rustoleum black paint? Just use rust reformer?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
A number of my skid plates received some scrapes yesterday and I live in the rust belt. To prevent rust damage, what's the best way to touch them up? I was thinking about the Rustoleum Rust Reformer but then por15 popped into my head. I figured they're skid plates, they're going to get scraped, so maybe por15 will be a waste of money.

If I go the rustoleum route, should I prime the bare metal first with the clean metal primer then just add rustoleum black paint? Just use rust reformer?
TBH just get rid of the stock skid "bars" and get real protection. I wouldn't worry about rust on the stockers.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
On average (every 3 months) I remove the stock plates, clean them, sand them with 200grit and spray them with rustoleum.

I do not like any of the aftermarket plates - Heat retention, weight and surface area being the main reasons.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Replace with aluminum and never think about it again.

Otherwise you can just get a can of rustoleum and touch them up after every trip.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Replace with aluminum and never think about it again.

Otherwise you can just get a can of rustoleum and touch them up after every trip.
Thats what I do.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input. For those that use rust-oleum, do you prime and then paint? Or just paint?

I ended up buying some rustoleum 'clean metal' primer yesterday and rustoleum's black semi-glass paint. I sprayed it down last night and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I also discovered that my power washer nozzle on wheels didn't clean as good as I hoped, as there was still clumps of mud stuck on the cross bar.

Is semi-glass correct to use for the stock bumpers too? I touched a little up as well and it looks like semi-gloss may be a bit too glossy for those.

EDIT: Should had searched before I did anything. Apparently people suggest using the Rustoleum Truck Bed Spray instead.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for the input. For those that use rust-oleum, do you prime and then paint? Or just paint?

I ended up buying some rustoleum 'clean metal' primer yesterday and rustoleum's black semi-glass paint. I sprayed it down last night and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I also discovered that my power washer nozzle on wheels didn't clean as good as I hoped, as there was still clumps of mud stuck on the cross bar.

Is semi-glass correct to use for the stock bumpers too? I touched a little up as well and it looks like semi-gloss may be a bit too glossy for those.

EDIT: Should had searched before I did anything. Apparently people suggest using the Rustoleum Truck Bed Spray instead.
@nU7OuxIx
Jeep Wrangler JL Stock Skid Plates Touch-Up 000

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, that's what I ordered. I'm going to go out there tonight and see if I can't sand down my touchup a bit so it's not so obvious.

Do you mask it off or just spray and go?
@nU7OuxIx

I hold a piece of cardboard alongside of what I'm painting so as not to get over spray on anything along side. At times I take cardboard or paper and surround what I am painting.

Always clean area well.... I use some steel wool after cleaning and then wipe the area to be painted with alcohol, paint thinner, etc. to get all oil and such off... THEN, I spray multiple light coats of the bedliner spray .. pausing for a couple of minutes in between the coats.

Also, if you are spraying in your garage or over a nice concrete driveway, etc., do lay an old sheet, or old blanket, etc., under where you are painting or you will be painting the floor. Do not sprayt on a windy day...

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@nU7OuxIx

I hold a piece of cardboard alongside of what I'm painting so as not to get over spray on anything along side. At times I take cardboard or paper and surround what I am painting.
If I understand you correctly, you are blending the spray with the existing finish and not using tape or cardboard to make a hard line, right?

I just finished scraping off my semi-gloss paint job and cleaned it all up. My bedliner should be here in a couple of days so I still have some time.

Thanks for your help with this! It's in a weird area where not many people are going to see it but me, but I still want to do a good job and take care of my Jeep!!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I understand you correctly, you are blending the spray with the existing finish and not using tape or cardboard to make a hard line, right?

I just finished scraping off my semi-gloss paint job and cleaned it all up. My bedliner should be here in a couple of days so I still have some time.

Thanks for your help with this! It's in a weird area where not many people are going to see it but me, but I still want to do a good job and take care of my Jeep!!
@nU7OuxIx

More often then not, I try to blend it in. To me that is easier on my eyes so to speak.

The Rustoleum Bedliner Spray is easy to deal with...

You can spray it on or even spread in on with a clean lint free piece of cloth.... or apply with a sponge on a stick, etc...

I myself use it on Ace Sliders, Rubi rails and such...

Just don't apply heavily.... light coats or it will, though pretty thick, will run.

This Bedliner Spray is also something that you can go back and easily touch up after say an off road excursion... the reapplication blends right in...

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@nU7OuxIx

More often then not, I try to blend it in. To me that is easier on my eyes so to speak.

The Rustoleum Bedliner Spray is easy to deal with...

You can spray it on or even spread in on with a clean lint free piece of cloth.... or apply with a sponge on a stick, etc...

I myself use it on Ace Sliders, Rubi rails and such...

Just don't apply heavily.... light coats or it will, though pretty thick, will run.

This Bedliner Spray is also something that you can go back and easily touch up after say an off road excursion... the reapplication blends right in...

Thank you so much for the information!! I didn't know about the sponge application....I have about a half gallon of the bedliner paint sitting in my garage that I used for another project.

I'm going to end up using the spray because I think that it will look better. We'll see how it turns out!! Thank you again!!
Sponsored