First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
Only reason I turned around, even though I was a bit past the halfway point already, was because the far end of trail 22 would've landed me much deeper into the park.
I feel/felt the same way as you. Especially riding alone, you have no idea what lies at the end of these trails in Windrock. Someone could make some good money with a proposal to update their trail map with a good accurate, quality one.

KevinC
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I feel/felt the same way as you. Especially riding alone, you have no idea what lies at the end of these trails in Windrock. Someone could make some good money with a proposal to update their trail map with a good accurate, quality one.

KevinC
I haven't really used it, but Trail Off Road does in depth trail guides, looks like they've got a stack of em in Windrock. The $20 you spend for windrock's map gets you halfway to their annual pass.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

KevinC
Good to know it wasn't just me that found their full size map to be a bit lacking. It seemed to me that there must've been a number of physical changes and detours to the trails since the map was made.

I'd happily pay more for a hagstrom style map book that would offer a zoomed in image of the whole property, grid by grid. It would be easier to read by the driver when offroading solo, because each page is only showing say +-100 acres of the immediate area.

I folded and stowed that map pretty soon after realizing it's detach from what I was seeing through the windshield. Fortunately, I had just started a free trial of the onx offroad maps app. That was noticeably more accurate, but there were still times when my blue location dot was veering off the trail, bit my Jeep was not. Still, it wasn't getting me lost as easily as the paper map. My biggest complaint with onx was that it didn't always show a specific trails difficulty level.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My biggest complaint with onx was that it didn't always show a specific trails difficulty level.
I finally got rid of All Trails. Thinking about picking up TOR for trail selection duties. Heard an interview of the guys and was really impressed, Jeep is actually loading their stuff for the badges on the 24s.

He said they have a group of paid "writers" that actually run the trail, create the tracking for maps, rate the difficulty, and take multiple pictures at each milestone/obstacle. They're also developing a secondary network of enthusiasts that get paid to go scout new trails and check to make sure the current mapping and ratings are accurate. The GPS function may not be the best, but you can one click export to Gaia, or export and load into OnX.

LJandJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2024 JL 4xe Rubicon
Great thread. Have a '24 4xe rubicon on order. Want to wheel in the middle of nowhere without much worrying. How would you guys prioritize skid plate upgrades for the JL? ex. #1 diff skids. #2 oil pan skid, etc. Trying to decide if it's cheaper/easier to just do a fully belly skid.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Great thread. Have a '24 4xe rubicon on order. Want to wheel in the middle of nowhere without much worrying. How would you guys prioritize skid plate upgrades for the JL? ex. #1 diff skids. #2 oil pan skid, etc. Trying to decide if it's cheaper/easier to just do a fully belly skid.
In my opinion dif skids are over rated. For 20+ years we rock crawled and dif skids didn't exist. I've never drug an axle enough times to wear through it and I'm not sure anyone has. Denting or peeling the bottom lip of a cover sure, but our covers are much better than the covers of 20 years ago. The oil pan is the most exposed and vulnerable spot in my opinion. I think a full belly skid is the way to go for both preventing damage and being able to slide over obstacles without getting hung up.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Diffs first. Rear shock/LCA take a beating, rear upper/frame LCA.

The stock stuff holds up pretty well, other than the frontmost trans bar.

I have an Asfir trans/oil waiting to go on, but so far so good there.

OP
OP
CopperMtnGuy

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
If you have drain plugs on the bottoms of your diffs (I think they removed them in '23 but not sure), I'd get diff skids. If you hit the drain plug on the bottom enough, you can either strip it so you can't get it out or knock it loose on the trail. If you don't have the bottom drain plugs, I'd skip the diff skid plates and do LCA mounts. Then oil pan/tranny pan.
In my opinion dif skids are over rated. For 20+ years we rock crawled and dif skids didn't exist. I've never drug an axle enough times to wear through it and I'm not sure anyone has. Denting or peeling the bottom lip of a cover sure, but our covers are much better than the covers of 20 years ago. The oil pan is the most exposed and vulnerable spot in my opinion. I think a full belly skid is the way to go for both preventing damage and being able to slide over obstacles without getting hung up.
I agree on the diff skids, other than having the drain plugs at the bottom.

Diffs first. Rear shock/LCA take a beating, rear upper/frame LCA.

The stock stuff holds up pretty well, other than the frontmost trans bar.

I have an Asfir trans/oil waiting to go on, but so far so good there.
I agree.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
22 is one of my favorite trails at Windrock. I typically hit it at least once a month (and they've changed the start, you can't use the bridge anymore, you have to up the main road to start it). The rock garden is where you'll sustain the most damage, and the steps are my favorite obstacle of the trail. We stay to the far right and don't have much trouble with a 3.5" lift and 37's.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you have drain plugs on the bottoms of your diffs (I think they removed them in '23 but not sure), I'd get diff skids. If you hit the drain plug on the bottom enough, you can either strip it so you can't get it out or knock it loose on the trail. If you don't have the bottom drain plugs, I'd skip the diff skid plates and do LCA mounts. Then oil pan/tranny pan.

I agree on the diff skids, other than having the drain plugs at the bottom.

I agree.
When I installed the ARB differential cover skid plates, one of the reasons I picked them, is that you never have to worry about the drain plug again. I mean, even if you didn't upgrade your diff covers, you can remove the cover to inspect things, and put the cover back on to refill. Just a thought.

https://donmontalvo.com/2022/10/09/barney-rubble-or-bam-bam/

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't rule out diff skids on the factory axles. The front protects the drain plug, and the rear covers the ribs that run side to side on the bottom of the diff. Better to lose give or take an inch of ground clearance and have a smooth surface, rather than leaving those ribs exposed to act like a land anchor. Just my opinion.

I opted for front and rear ARB diff covers, and a rear diff skid. Didn't skid the front because I no longer care what happens to the factory drain plug, since there's one in the diff cover now.
Sponsored